Anyone put 3-on-a-plate tuners on an Original Collection Junior?

BrianH

Reaction score
I know conversion bushings will be needed, but does anyone have experience with 3 on a plate tuners fitting in the headstock’s tuner holes? I’m sure new mounting holes will need to be drilled but that’s not my concern... the tuners fitting is! Thanks.

BrianH

Reaction score
Measuring the guitar and a set on stewmac, they should fit.

none2low

Reaction score
Haven't done the swap myself, but I just checked the spacing on my 2018 SG Jr and a set of modern Kluson single line tuners I have here.

Nearest I can tell everything lines up and shouldn't be an issue, outside of the things you're already aware of (bushings and mounting screws)

Dilver

Reaction score
Check the post height. I tried the Gotoh set on my 2018 Junior and the posts were too short (or perhaps the headstock too thick), so the post holes were just barely high enough to put the string through.

BrianH

Reaction score
Thanks. I just measured and height should be fine with gotoh or kluson. 1” tuner shaft height is their spec which is enough room on my Junior. Maybe the 2018 headstock was thicker?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only issue is that the D and G holes are wider spaced than the other four.....in fact E...A...B...E holes are at equal spacing like a square.........the three in a row tuners need to be in a straight line...like Historic Les Paul headstocks.

Though the holes are larger you may get them to fit but with a little work

@LtDave32 can give a little info if he had to make this mod.

Last edited:

BrianH

Reaction score
I hadn’t considered that, thank you. I just ordered some tuners to give it a try. Worse comes to worse, I will leave it as-is but it would be nice to make it a bit more vintage correct.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can tell you this; I have Stew-mac's "drill guide" for 3 on a side tuners.

It also positions 3 on a plate perfectly. It has to be perfect, due to the plate locking in the hole distances where on separate tuners, one can be a hair off.

The heavy steel drill guide will position the 3/plate tuners perfectly.

If you want the center to center measurements, I can measure the holes and post that here.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just went to the SM site, where they give the post spacing.

Trouble is, they now have two different sets of guide holes.

Mine is the old one that only has one set of guide holes.

BrianH

Reaction score
Thanks. I’ll just wait and see I suppose. I measured the current tuners from top to top to top, and post spacing seemed exactly same as post spacing on Kluson 3/plate. I didn’t measure if they were in an exact straight line. Perhaps top two are positioned a bit differently distance wise, but not in straight line.

BrianH

Reaction score
I decided to order the Kluson KD-3-NP. They’re not 3/plate but.....they’re White button tuners with longer shafts than the Gotohs, look good from the front with conversion bushings, should require no drilling, and don’t look any less vintage accurate from the back.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I tried it a few years back. The holes are not in a perfectly straight line. The B and A string tuners leaned a bit and were hard to turn. Also, new mounting screw holes need to be drilled. You can’t take it back once it’s mounted. The newly drilled holes are visible. It looks like it will work when you dry fit the tuners, but the problems are quite evident once you screw it plate down.

BrianH

Reaction score
I did some quick measurements and it does seem as everyone has said here, the tuners are not in a straight line. Doubt the 3/plate will work.

The 3+3 Klusons with conversion bushings seem to be the best drop in replacements to look more vintage correct, at least from the front. I’m happy enough with that.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I did some quick measurements and it does seem as everyone has said here, the tuners are not in a straight line. Doubt the 3/plate will work.

The 3+3 Klusons with conversion bushings seem to be the best drop in replacements to look more vintage correct, at least from the front. I’m happy enough with that.
This is what I did with my Original Series LP Special. There is another completely authentic option. Buy a set of three on a plates. Clamp them in place in order to mark the headstock with the plate impressions. Do this gently and return the tuners. Now, install a set of aged “milk Bottle” Grovers. This is completely authentic and many vintage Juniors had this done. Totally cool look.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Actually this won’t work as the headstock will possibly already have a middle position Kluson tuner impression. Sorry.

BrianH

Reaction score
No worries, I’m gonna go with my Plan B of 3+3 Klusons.

Latest Threads