Anyone prefer 9.0-9.5 lb Les Pauls over 7.5-8.0 lb?

dave999z

Reaction score
Just curious. In your opinion is lighter always preferable? Down to what, 7.5 lbs? Purely for comfort? Or do you find lighter ones typically have a different tone? Or do you find heavier ones typically have a tone you like better (or more sustain)? (On average, obviously. Every guitar sounds different.) If it didn't affect tone, what would be the ideal weight for you? If you found a guitar that had great tone, how light or heavy would you accept?

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
It takes more than a pound for me to tell a difference. And even then I might not be able to. Weight doesn't have any bearing for myself. I know some freak out over an ounce or 2.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
9 +/- 1 lbs is fine for me.

I've had some Norlins that were heavier and that was OK too, but not optimal.

If I had to pick an ideal, I would say about 8.75, mainly for feel.

RAG7890

Reaction score
IMHO, based on ~ 25 Lesters, ~ mid 8lbs up to 9lbs & a few ozs.

As far as light is concerned, I'd always look at Chambered Reissues based on the 4 that I had, especially if you have back problems etc.

My best (for me) ranged from 8lbs 5ozs to 9lbs 1oz (the heaviest had Grovers).

Lastly, you would have to take each Guitar on its own merits to pass judgement, weight is just one of many considerations.

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers2:

Begd

Reaction score
Under 9 is my comfort range. I know a few ounces doesn't sound like much, but I had 9.2lb R7, and it gave me great discomfort in my left shoulder after about 3 months.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Decide, Comfort or bombastic tone?

They all sound similar, but a 9 pound guitar just has more balls....

I had CR8 and it still was an amazing guitar....

Wt.. is not a thing to stress over unless you do it for a living and the weight hurts you....I have played Strats in the 9 lb range

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
Never tried a sub-8 lb LP (none around here ,ever) ,but my 356 is close to an LP in size and weighs less then any of My LP's . It's got great tone to boot , so ,IMO , it's not the weight so much as the wood itself ,the pups ,amp and player among other smaller things .

I don't go for the heavy weights either. Say , 9.5 lbs + , My bad back lets me know quickly ,,It's not for me no matter how good it might sound .
8.5 -9 lbs is my range

Pleximan

Reaction score
Tonally. I haven't noticed a huge difference between an 8 or 10 lbs guitar. You will feel the fatigue in your back and shoulder quicker with a heavier guitar.

I'd say the heavier guitars had a bit more balls to them. A bit more chunk in the lower register. My R9 sings on the upper register(8.25) lbs. I noticed the heavier Les Paul's don't sing as much, maybe not as airy as lighter ones. That's just from the ones I played.

So lighter Les Paul's have more top end, and heavier ones have a darker bassier, lower midrange tone. You can find heavy guitars that sing, but lighter Les Paul's don't chunk like heavy ones.

dwk302

Reaction score
They all sound similar, but a 9 pound guitar just has more balls....
100%. Upper 8 to 9 lbs is my sweet spot.

By far my meanest sounding guitar is my lemon R9 that's 9 lbs with a fat neck. There's nothing subtle about it. It has this incredible lower mid focus that sounds like a punch to the face with OD and beatifully lush and creamy when clean.

MooCheng

Reaction score
thinking about it, all mine are lightweights. It was'nt a deliberate decision to choose lighter guitars it just worked out that way because they sound the way I like 'em. Light guitars seem to be more lively, more alive, heavy guitars feel more insular. Not sure how well I'm explaining this.

guess were luck wood density is so varied, out there theres something for everyone

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
Stick to the topic please. Start your own thread if you want to talk about 8-9 lb les pauls, but don't hijack mine. :laugh2:
Ok I'll rephrase... I'll take an 8 or 9 lb Les Paul, but nothing else from those ranges :D

Seriously, I have a Les Paul at each of those weights and they both sound different, but killer in their own ways :thumb:

eclecticsynergy

Reaction score
I had a 9lb+ LP Custom once. It was very lively and sounded great, deep low end, not overly snappy- I think the fact that it was all mahogany helped: one piece body, no maple cap. That guitar was stolen years ago and I still miss it.

Tonewise I've found the really heavy LPs nearly always deliver deep low end and solid low mids but usually seem to have a pretty tight feel through the upper mids and a kind of dryness in their higher register. Slappy rather than springy, if that makes sense. The two other 9lb LPs I've owned were not lively and were pretty bright, not warm at all. One had nice big tone but was hard sounding and the other was downright sterile. They were both Norlin-era and both had the sandwich body/maple neck, which may have contributed.

In general my experience has been that the truly lively ones are more often light than heavy. Not that heavy ones can't be lively, just that that resonant, musical quality tends to be rarer among the heavy ones. I also feel that the light ones tend to sing more readily in front of an amp. I think it takes a little more volume to make a heavy guitar take off and fly.

As for the physical weight on my shoulder, I do prefer the lighter ones. And If I had to pick one guitar to play throughout a whole set I wouldn't choose a 9½ pounder. But that wouldn't stop me from buying another pretty heavy LP if I found one that felt good.

DADGAD

Reaction score
I've had two 9.3 lb LPs and currently have a. 10.5 pounder. The 9.3 is nicer to play longer but the 10.5 one is good too with a wide strap. I've never played a sub 9 pounder. peoe seem to think that's the magical weight range.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My heavier ones sounded better without a doubt.

I prefer them just over 9 lbs.