Anyone played a Slim Taper D neck??

parkme

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard,
Its serial number says it was made in Unsung, Korea November 2009.
I like how it sounds and how it looks,
Just what surprised me was how thin its neck is,
Like it's way thinner than any Les Paul that I have played before and it almost feels like a strat neck.
Well, I believe it's as thin as a strat or thinner maybe.
The spec says it's Slim Taper D neck,
But I wonder if it's usually this thin when it's Slim Taper D?
Or maybe mine is a bit different.
I would appreciate to hear from those who have played the same profile or Unsung made,
Or anyone who are interested!!
Thanks!

DrBGood

Reaction score
Korean Epiphone are known to be inconsistant in their construction. But a Slim Taper D is supposed to be slim and have a flat D back shape. Some are slimmer, some less. I have an Unsung 07 LP Ultra with a decently fat neck.

Widths are pretty constant though.

61LPSG

Reaction score
I have a '97 LP Standard from the Unsung plant and the neck is a nice C profile, not as thin as most.

LP1865

Reaction score
IDK about you guys, but my Czech Standard has a nice '59 LP type neck. The specs say that it's Slimtaper 'D'.

Cardinalcomb

Reaction score
I had an early 2000 epi custom that had a reaaaaally thin slim taper d deck. Love them or hate the i guess.

scrumm21

Reaction score
my 2014 Epi Les Paul Standard "Red Royale Ltd" has the Slim Taper D neck and It IS without a doubt the most comfortable and easiest for this musically challenged Boomer to play

r royale.jpg

the ReWind Low Output pickups really Sing
( along with upgraded pots and 50's wiring \ and tuners )

Pappy35

Reaction score
I bought a Plus Top Pro back in February and hated that "SlimTaper" neck profile and returned it as unplayable (to me). The 60's I have now with the "SlimTaper C" is about the best for my hand. 50's Medium-C was too thick.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Slim Taper C ... there is such a thing ?

Pappy35

Reaction score
Slim Taper C ... there is such a thing ?
That's what they call it. Feels ever so slightly thicker than the "SlimTaper" they (Epiphone) use on all the more contemporary LPs. I measured them and I think it was something like 0.010" or so thicker at the 1st fret (don't quote me, that was 5 months ago).

Annotation 2020-07-23 175529.png

Telechamp

Reaction score
From what I've read, my MIK 1996 Epi LP Standard Plus Top Honeyburst has the SlimTaper profile, but the neck seems a tad thicker than that to me.. In any event, it's a great neck.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I got the 2013 Standard and i like the feel of the neck. How do I tell if it's a slim taper D profile? I plan on buying one of the 2020 Epi's here real soon and if possible would like to get the profile i have on this epi. If poosible.

thx guys

DrBGood

Reaction score
I got the 2013 Standard and i like the feel of the neck. How do I tell if it's a slim taper D profile? I plan on buying one of the 2020 Epi's here real soon and if possible would like to get the profile i have on this epi. If poosible.

thx guys
Look up the specs on the Epiphone page.
Slim taper D is almost a generic name for Epiphone necks, unless they specify something else.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Look up the specs on the Epiphone page.
Slim taper D is almost a generic name for Epiphone necks, unless they specify something else.
thx man. to best describe the neck its flat and feels kinda like it could have a D shape just a flat D its not too thick...

waypost

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard,
Its serial number says it was made in Unsung, Korea November 2009.
I like how it sounds and how it looks,
Just what surprised me was how thin its neck is,
Like it's way thinner than any Les Paul that I have played before and it almost feels like a strat neck.
Well, I believe it's as thin as a strat or thinner maybe.
The spec says it's Slim Taper D neck,
But I wonder if it's usually this thin when it's Slim Taper D?
Or maybe mine is a bit different.
I would appreciate to hear from those who have played the same profile or Unsung made,
Or anyone who are interested!!
Thanks!
FWIW my 2 epiphone lp`s with slim taper D neck profile measure 0.898" / 22.8mm at the 12th fret and flat back... Hate them both now that I started playing 50s rounded gibson les pauls.

skydog

Reaction score
There is enough inconsistencies that verbiage descriptions are useless. Always ask for dimensions if you're at all concerned.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 of my 4 Gibson's have their Slim Taper neck, the other is a custom shop and is actually even thinner. I have damaged hands, another story. That's the only neck shape I can play without aggravating my hands. Slim Taper is a thing. If 50's necks were only what was available on Gibson's, I wouldn't have any. And Gibsons, LP's especially, are my absolute favorite guitars.
3 cheers for Slim Taper! :cheers2:

Latest Threads