Anyone own or has owned or played a 1949-1955 ES-175?

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for info on neck shape and thickness ... measured thickness.

Thinking about getting one (as long as my bursitis doesn't bug me too bad) and I'm all about a single P90 in the neck.

But the most important element of that guitar is the neck.

Please chime in.

christopherJ

Reaction score
The ones I played were chunky, to me. You'd really have to play it as there was so much variability in neck shape/profile.

I'd never buy vintage guitar without playing it or a very good return/refund policy if bought online.

Mike I

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hiya Vinnie!

I'm kinda looking at 50's 175's also, but just on line so far.

If the 50's 175 necks are anything like the necks on my 58 Les Paul Jr., or 54 ES-125, I know I will love it.

Those necks feel perfect for me, with average hand size, and some old age stiffness.

They are not as shoulder heavy as the new Gibson necks, and just fit really well into my hand.

If I head back up to Norms anytime soon, I'll play one for sure and let you know.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Mike I you've answered one of the questions that's muy importanto to me is neck shape. Less shoulders is what I was hoping for, now if they have a slight V shape then I may pull the trigger.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember that one! I'm surprised that a 1950's Gibson would have a neck that thin. Round shape to the neck or V?
Pretty standard round '50s Gibson.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess if I pull the trigger it'll have to be in person. Being a fan of big necks there's too much variation in neck shapes and sizes to do it via internet.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I have played a '56; Bossaddict's description sounds about right. It also didn't seem too far off from my buddy's former '53 GT. But I'm gonna go ahead and say you're making the right call - something like that, don't trust anyone but your left hand. Good luck in your hunt; a '50s ES-175-D is one of my dreams. I mean they are so sweet! (As a '56 model myself, a 1956 would be ideal.)

Latest Threads