Anyone own a Soul Tramp?

TheWilly17

Reaction score
I am seriously considering a Rail Rider. I just want to hear some feedback from some ST owners. The itch is getting bad.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I too have and love my Wraith. Now Soul Tramp (Don Hills) produces a wide variety of amps for different purposes. And Don would be happy to speak with you about your wants and needs. He's the only guy to whom I ever described a tone verbally who understood what I was talking about!

Deftone

Reaction score
I too have and love my Wraith. Now Soul Tramp (Don Hills) produces a wide variety of amps for different purposes. And Don would be happy to speak with you about your wants and needs. He's the only guy to whom I ever described a tone verbally who understood what I was talking about!
Don is way cool. Is he still on MLP?

Reactions: Who

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yeah, and he is a VIP member. I understand he has been busy lately, and that's why his new posts are few and far between.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
I own a Soul Tramp Tweed 12. Not even close to the configuration of a Rail Rider, but it is a wonderfully built amp, and I recommend Soul Tramp enthusiastically. He builds truly boutique amplifiers and is simply the nicest guy to work with. And he knows his stuff. 12/10 stars from me.

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Paging Malikon...lol.

I too lust for a Soul Tramp. Serenity is my flavor. From the time here, I've learned that Don is a great guy and builds killer amps. He's even helped out MLP brethren fixing issues with other builder's amps. :)

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I almost snatched one up that I saw on Reverb, if that counts. If I had a chance to play one in person, I'd probably own one.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I’ve played a Serenity during a visit.
It’s an amp you’ll never sell. Tone snobs will forever hear it and be like whoa... what amp is that??
Stellar builds from a standup guy who cuts no corners. It could be argued that he adds corners, judging by the tweed jobs he does. I think it was something like 13 coats of homemade shellac, with different tints.
Who the fuck does that???
Don does.
That’s who.
Based on demo experience alone, I’d take a tramp over a dumble, easily.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Paging Malikon...lol.

I too lust for a Soul Tramp. Serenity is my flavor. From the time here, I've learned that Don is a great guy and builds killer amps. He's even helped out MLP brethren fixing issues with other builder's amps. :)
Hell yes, Don is awesome. He not only shares the fruit of his experience, he tries to help even if there's not dollar in it for him. I don't own one of his superb amps, but I've done business with him and there's nobody I trust better (and I'm in Oz, on the other side of the planet). Don is good people, and he knows what he's talking about.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve played a Serenity during a visit.
It’s an amp you’ll never sell. Tone snobs will forever hear it and be like whoa... what amp is that??
Stellar builds from a standup guy who cuts no corners. It could be argued that he adds corners, judging by the tweed jobs he does. I think it was something like 13 coats of homemade shellac, with different tints.
Who the fuck does that???
Don does.
That’s who.
Based on demo experience alone, I’d take a tramp over a dumble, easily.
See ... this guy get's it. I've been more effusive about Soul Tramp in the past, but I sort of figured people are tired of my gushing about it. I figure the deluxe Amp cover is a requirement, because otherwise, you'd be tempted to just lick it every so often - it's that incredible of a Tweed job.
The Sounds ? - I Suck as a guitarist. But I suck with great tone !
I'd say the best advice is to just talk with Don. He can get you there with whatever tones you might be looking for.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
We should add that some of us who are gushing over ST’s have actually built amps, cabs or both, and not to sound all la de da about myself, but there’s a whole new level of appreciation for Don’s amps.
Mine look like a high school shop project, by comparison.
Every detail, from beginning to end is painstakingly attended to.
Not to mention (but of course I will...;)), his circuits aren’t clones, except where indicated, and as I recall, he only built a few clones at customers’ requests.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Can't talk about the Amp because I have never owned or played one but I can talk about Don.

He's a class act & happy to help anyone in genuine need of assistance (which he has done for me). :thumbs:

He's also happy to listen to alternative points of view.....................oh, & he's in to Cars.

Did I mention he likes Cars. :D

:cheers2:

chef

Reaction score
Don sent me an extra head shell and chassis free of charge some time ago. I'm still planning an amp build, life has gotten in the way.

Shell currently houses my audio interface. o_O

Good guy with lots of respect around these parts. I would love to get a Tweed 12 from him when finances permit.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good guy with lots of respect around these parts. I would love to get a Tweed 12 from him when finances permit.
Don IS really a good guy. I talked to him about a Tweed 12 for about a year (from when he made it a model in his line-up) before I finally pulled the trigger. He happened to have one already completed, and I had it in a week. Packed to withstand ANY delivery gorilla. And in perfect condition. It's a piece of equipment that I will NEVER get rid of. I like having stuff from MLP Friends. It's just another part of the community.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I miss Cyg.

It was one of the classiest things I've ever seen - online or elsewhere - when Don offered to fix that amp made by Cyg after he'd passed away. Offered to fix it gratis, in memory of our mate, Cyg. It just doesn't get better than that, and I confess it still makes me tear up to remember it. There are some very cool peeps on this forum, and Don's one of the best.

SGeoff

Reaction score
Don's probably blushing so red he's afraid to enter this thread. He is a humble dude, with great amp skills.