Anyone knows about Les Paul Standard Circuits?

yhl9505

Reaction score
Trying to buy a 04 Les Pual Standard, but I'm not sure if the circuit has been modified. (the turner, knobs, and the bridge have all been replaced, so I'm a little bit worried about that) Can someone tell me if the circuit has been replaced or modified? Thanks!!!!!!!

Attachments

Tubejockey

Reaction score
You will definitely want to yank that mess out and start again. Consider it part of the cost of doing business.

yhl9505

Reaction score
You will definitely want to yank that mess out and start again. Consider it part of the cost of doing business.
Thanks for the comment! So it doesn't look like a default setting? I'm afraid that the modification will affect the tone a lot.

GR8TONE

Reaction score
There appears to be a lot of change and poor workmanship. I would agree to remove it and start over. The solder joints are poor and appear to have contamination. The pots don’t look stock to me either. The good news is that this is all very easy to do and parts are inexpensive. I like to use Bare Knuckle 500k pots and Russian, Mojotone vitamin T or luxe caps. There a a lot of resources on the net and YouTube to help you out. This guitar would use the “modern” wiring. I prefer vintage but it’s personal choice. Good luck with your project! Here’s a pic of my 2011 LP Trad Pro I rewired recently.

yhl9505

Reaction score
There appears to be a lot of change and poor workmanship. I would agree to remove it and start over. The solder joints are poor and appear to have contamination. The pots don’t look stock to me either. The good news is that this is all very easy to do and parts are inexpensive. I like to use Bare Knuckle 500k pots and Russian, Mojotone vitamin T or luxe caps. There a a lot of resources on the net and YouTube to help you out. This guitar would use the “modern” wiring. I prefer vintage but it’s personal choice. Good luck with your project! Here’s a pic of my 2011 LP Trad Pro I rewired recently.
Didn't see the pic haha. I'm very new to electric guitars. Isn't circuit a very important part of tone sound? If so, does it mean the guitar might sound totally different from a Les Paul? Is there anywhere to get it fixed? Sorry for these stupid questions, but I really like how it looks and it's a limited run.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh ya... That's been messed with, and NOT in a good way.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see. I think I'd better to avoid buying that guitar then. Thanks for the comment!!
Do you have some detailed pictures of the rest of it?
There's always the possibility that it's not what the seller claims it is.
Replacing a wiring harness is not a big deal if you can handle a soldering iron.... but whoever did that should have their soldering iron taken away.

yhl9505

Reaction score
Oops. Here’s the pic
Did you buy the same items as it comes with the guitar and do it yourself or did you choose your customized items to make up your "Les Paul" tone?? quite curious about it

GR8TONE

Reaction score
Your questions aren’t stupid. If the guitar price is good and there are no other issues like structural or frets, then it still may be worth it. A lot of sellers on Reverb for controls.

yhl9505

Reaction score
Your questions aren’t stupid. If the guitar price is good and there are no other issues like structural or frets, then it still may be worth it. A lot of sellers on Reverb for controls.
The condition is "Excellent". (still waiting for more detailed pics to verify it) and the price is around $2100, not sure whether it's worth it. The guitar itself is quite rare, but the only concern I have is that the sound will be quite different from a Les Paul standard. I was trying to buy a used Gibson les paul to practice and it would be meaningless if it has a weird customized tone. :(

GR8TONE

Reaction score
I do everything myself. I like to select my hardware and measure everything before I assemble. I have researched, bought and measured just about every potentiometer out there. Bare knuckle specs out the closest to 50’s vintage CTS that I’ve found including vintage spec CTS. I prefer paper in oil capacitors. Everyone had their own tastes and opinions these are just mine. That’s the beauty of this hobby. Lots of good, smart people/resources on this site. I enjoy this so much I started building amps last year. Here’s my 5E3 Deluxe. Good luck with your endeavor!

Attachments

Tubejockey

Reaction score
I hope my comments didn't come off as snarky. They were really not meant to discourage you. I agree with CB91710 above. If the guitar is otherwise in good shape and the price is right, go ahead. Electronics are easily replaced, and if you like the sound of it as is, don't let us deter you. All of these things are upgradeable later. Happy hunting!

yhl9505

Reaction score
Do you have some detailed pictures of the rest of it?
There's always the possibility that it's not what the seller claims it is.
Replacing a wiring harness is not a big deal if you can handle a soldering iron.... but whoever did that should have their soldering iron taken away.
It is a 2004 Santa Fe sunrise, and I really like the top flame. From what I can tell so far, the tuner has been replaced (from Gibson Deluxe to Grover ones), the knobs have been replaced, and the tailpiece has been replaced. (to a Gibson TP-6 tailpiece) I'm fine with those replacement, but I'm only concerning about those circuits stuff since I have no idea how it would affect the guitar tone. Does those wiring harness affect the tone a lot? I'm waiting for the seller to send more detailed pics.

Attachments

yhl9505

Reaction score
I hope my comments didn't come off as snarky. They were really not meant to discourage you. I agree with CB91710 above. If the guitar is otherwise in good shape and the price is right, go ahead. Electronics are easily replaced, and if you like the sound of it as is, don't let us deter you. All of these things are upgradeable later. Happy hunting!
I see. That makes so much sense!! I guess the price would be the main problem then.

yhl9505

Reaction score
I do everything myself. I like to select my hardware and measure everything before I assemble. I have researched, bought and measured just about every potentiometer out there. Bare knuckle specs out the closest to 50’s vintage CTS that I’ve found including vintage spec CTS. I prefer paper in oil capacitors. Everyone had their own tastes and opinions these are just mine. That’s the beauty of this hobby. Lots of good, smart people/resources on this site. I enjoy this so much I started building amps last year. Here’s my 5E3 Deluxe. Good luck with your endeavor!
Haha I see. I'm just too new to do those stuff. I'm trying to follow a "typical" learner's way and try not to mess with those parts before I get really familiar with the stock les pual tone.

GR8TONE

Reaction score
You may to ask the seller if those are the original pickups. Seems odd that they are four conductor for this model. The switch wiring doesn’t look correct either.

yhl9505

Reaction score
You may to ask the seller if those are the original pickups. Seems odd that they are four conductor for this model. The switch wiring doesn’t look correct either.
The seller said the guitar belongs to his father, who recently passed away. And he knows no more than guitar name and conditions. That’s why I have to figure it out whether those wirings have been modified... Those pickups seem like humbuckers to me, but they might be other specs that the owner replaced with.

jskidder

Reaction score
Ask him to pop the pickups out and provide pics of the underside. Seems they are not stock and I'd be more concerned about what those are than the wiring.

Latest Threads