Anyone know why Gibson teardrops some tops while others are rim burst?

NRBQ

Reaction score
I have noticed that on some of the same models they do a teardrop while other tops of the same model they are rim burst. Is there a tradition of certian colors being one or the other? It seems odd to me that they wouldn't be consistant with the way each model is done. I should say that I am a big fan of the rim burst but not so much the teardrop look. I have a 2010 Traditional Plus in Desert Burst which I love, but the Honey Burst just looks better to my eye.

Here is an example of two 2013 Traditionals:

Honey Burst,
LPTDHYCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

Heritage Cherry Burst,
LPTD-LHSCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

Interestingly the only Standard that is a rim burst is the Desert Burst, all the rest of the Standards including the one in Honey Burst are teardrops.

There must be logic to the choices they make in this regard anyone? BTW just looking at that Traditional in Honey Burst gives me GAS!

acstorfer

Reaction score
I have a preference, but I'm glad there is variety. Each one is kind of like it's own little fingerprint. If you want to see variety, check out the Norlin section. The finishes were just crazy back then.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Costs. It's a lot less labour-intensive/cheaper to do the rimburst.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Costs. It's a lot less labour-intensive/cheaper to do the rimburst.

Really, that is interesting, it doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference in terms of labor or cost. Maybe I just don't realize how much more time and material it takes to paint a teardrop top. I'm not sure I'm buying this one.

Edit: For the record they are all listed at the same price, if there was that much of a difference wouldn't the rimburst be less green?

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to doubt it's cheaper. Maybe easier though.

tzd

Reaction score
It's to make you want them all and buy them all.

KSPaul

Reaction score
I've wondered about this as well. I've always preferred teardrops over rimbursts - they just look more traditional to me.

I just assumed that Gibson started spraying rimbursts on "flamier" tops in an effort to cover up less of the flames.

ARandall

Reaction score
Would have thought teardrop would be easier. The dark edge paint would be done with a U or V shape movement. The rimburst would need much more control to keep the gun at the same position through the waist area

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Really, that is interesting, it doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference in terms of labor or cost. Maybe I just don't realize how much more time and material it takes to paint a teardrop top. I'm not sure I'm buying this one.

Edit: For the record they are all listed at the same price, if there was that much of a difference wouldn't the rimburst be less green?
It's also about "speed", which goes back to the "less labour-intensive" part of my comment.

As for why they (LPs with rimbursts) are the same prices as "normal" teardrops? Ask Henry.

NRBQ

Reaction score
It's also about "speed", which goes back to the "less labour-intensive" part of my comment.

As for why they (LPs with rimbursts) are the same prices as "normal" teardrops? Ask Henry.

Actually I agree with ARandell in guessing the rimburst would be harder pull off and take more skill to keep that line going around the bend. I just don't believe it would be that much more labor intensive to paint a tear drop, the amount of spray needed to fill in the tear can't take that much more time and probably takes less skill to achieve. Again just a guess here, the real time spent on labor probably comes during the polishing phase of the guitar and that would be the same on both styles regardless of tear/rim or colour choice. Please understand, it's not that I doubt you, it's ...ok yes it is. Maybe there is a Gibson page called "Ask Henry" where answers flow like wine.

PS, If you're born and raised in South Detroit then why are you spelling the word "labour" a chiefly British variant of Labor? Notice though that I spelled "colour" in a way you might be more comfortable with. BTW I got the "chiefly British variant" bit right from the intranet, it sounded really smart.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Actually I agree with ARandell in guessing the rimburst would be harder pull off and take more skill to keep that line going around the bend. I just don't believe it's much more labor intensive to paint a tear drop, it might take slightly more time but he amount of spray needed to fill in the tear can't take that much more time. Again just a guess here, the real labor comes in the polishing phase of the guitar and that would be the same on both styles regardless of tear/rim or color choice. Maybe there is a Gibson page called "Ask Henry" where answers flow like wine.
Believe it or not, ALL bursts start out as "rimbursts". The last step in a "teardrop" is the filling in of the top corners (toggle-switch and cutaway areas), which is more time-consuming/labour intensive. As simple as it looks when finished, it's actually a lot of work to get the shape of the teardeop "just right".

Don't believe me? Take a look at some of the 'bursts from the Norlin-era (particularly the mid-'70s), that were done by people who had to be trained to do a "proper burst" from the ground up in a matter of weeks/months.

Example:
ClownburstGallery.jpg

PS, If you're born and raised in South Detroit then why are you spelling the word "labour" a chiefly British variant of Labor? Notice though that I spelled "colour" in a way you might be more comfortable with. BTW I got the "chiefly British variant" bit right from the intranet, it sounded really smart.
:laugh2:

That's the way I've always spelled it. Must be my English side?

NRBQ

Reaction score
Believe it or not, ALL bursts start out as "rimbursts". The last step in a "teardrop" is the filling in of the top corners (toggle-switch and cutaway areas), which is more time-consuming/labour intensive. As simple as it looks when finished, it's actually a lot of work to get the shape of the teardeop "just right".

Don't believe me? Take a look at some of the 'bursts from the Norlin-era (particularly the mid-'70s), that were done by people who had to be trained to do a "proper burst" from the ground up in a matter of weeks/months.

Example:
ClownburstGallery.jpg

Yeah I suppose getting that line to be straight as an arrow up the guitar would be difficult to perfect. If you were off you'd have to thicken the line to correct it, which may be why some of the clowns you posted have such thick edges. Nice retort, you're winning me over drop by drop. I have to say some of those bursts are just so ugly to my eye. The color and the way they don't so much blend from one color to the other but they are like a border on a map. Not my cup of tea. My 2010 Traditional Plus looks much better and not because of the rim burst thing, just because of the painters skill level.

On the spelling tip, I think it's a cool way to individualize the English language just a bit and show some flare.

Just another shameless thinly veiled excuse to post pics of my beloved LPs.

Attachments

• Les Paul Traditional Plus 013.jpg
    Les Paul Traditional Plus 013.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Les Paul Traditional Plus 012.jpg
    Les Paul Traditional Plus 012.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Three Les Pauls all in a row 004.jpg
    Three Les Pauls all in a row 004.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 64

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Yeah I suppose getting that line to be straight as an arrow up the guitar would be difficult to perfect. If you were off you'd have to thicken the line to correct it, which may be why some of the clowns you posted have such thick edges. Nice retort, you're winning me over drop by drop. I have to say some of those bursts are just so ugly to my eye. The color and the way they don't so much blend from one color to the other but they are like a border on a map. Not my cup of tea. My 2010 Traditional Plus look much better and not because of the rim burst thing, just because of the painters skill level.

Just another shameless thinly veiled excuse to post pics of my beloved LPs.
I like to refer to those as "the practicebursts".:thumb:

NRBQ

Reaction score
I like to refer to those as "the practicebursts".:thumb:

No doubt, just take a good look at number three, WOW, well all of them really, got damn I said got damn!

Just looking at them kind of makes me feel like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUmVd4RQZCo]Cheech And Chong Up In Smoke - The Ajax Lady - YouTube[/ame]

NRBQ

Reaction score
OK as usual this has nothing to do with anything but that Cheech and Chong clip made me think of an old bit from The Kentucky Fried Movie that just cracks me up. So here it is just for a chuckle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TqW5miEfI8"]kentucky fried movie - "did a cow shit in here?" - YouTube[/ame]

musicmaniac

Reaction score
That's a great question but I gotta think it's for variety's sake.

WhatDoIKnow

Reaction score
The new paint guy was slow and guitars were getting backed up on the line. To catch up he only painted the edges. Thus, the "rim burst" was born.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
I don't know but I seem to see more rimbursts in Iced tea than anything else. I like the teardrop ones better myself. Do NOT like the clownbursts at all.

Latest Threads