Anyone know the weight of the original Pearly Gates, Skinner or other famous 58-59 Les Paul

steph74

Reaction score
Anyone know the weight of the original Pearly Gates, Skinner, Sandy or other famous 58-59 Les Paul?
Just curious to know

truckermde

Reaction score
Don't they include stats like that in TBOTB?

I can't remember, and I can't get up right now to get the book and check...

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
BOTB has the stats. The average for the ones in BOTB is around or a bit over 9lbs IIRC.
'The old ones are all in the range of 8-8.5lbs' myth that seems to do the rounds is just inaccurate.

The old ones are in the range of high 7lb to 9+ lb range. The number of guitars analyzed in BOTB is too statistically small to draw any conclusions.
I'm not sure there is anyone who has handled enough of them to make a statistically accurate "average" claim.

Having said that, my own belief is that the average (or more correctly, median) is in the 8.5-9lb range.

BDW60

Reaction score
^^^^^^ and that’s why 8.75 pounds is clearly the best and the weight I always look for ... ;)

jwinger

Reaction score
The old ones are in the range of high 7lb to 9+ lb range. The number of guitars analyzed in BOTB is too statistically small to draw any conclusions.
I'm not sure there is anyone who has handled enough of them to make a statistically accurate "average" claim.

Having said that, my own belief is that the average (or more correctly, median) is in the 8.5-9lb range.
I've probably played 20 or so 50s Les Pauls and I would say most have been between 8.5 and 9.5, although I can think of one I reckon was under 8 and one that I'm sure must have been over 10. Again though, my sample is relatively small, but the 'older wood was lighter than new' thing I've seen a few places doesn't seem to be true in my experience; it's about the same

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've probably played 20 or so 50s Les Pauls and I would say most have been between 8.5 and 9.5, although I can think of one I reckon was under 8 and one that I'm sure must have been over 10. Again though, my sample is relatively small, but the 'older wood was lighter than new' thing I've seen a few places doesn't seem to be true in my experience; it's about the same

If we're talking all 50s LPs, then i've seen 7.5oz up to 10.5 lbs.

steph74

Reaction score
BOTB has the stats. The average for the ones in BOTB is around or a bit over 9lbs IIRC.
'The old ones are all in the range of 8-8.5lbs' myth that seems to do the rounds is just inaccurate.
Principal Skinner is not in BOTB and the weight of Pearly Gates and Sandy are not indicated in the weight list, that’s why I was asking.

steph74

Reaction score
Oh and talking about the Skinner burst, I was wondering if it’s still owned by Joe Bonamassa since I haven’t seen him with that one for a while on social media

AcVox

Reaction score
Another burst that Joe uses regularly, and sounds unearthly is found in TBOTB.
Page 87. Serial# 9 1688.
It features in many of his performances and distinguished by its uncovered Pafs, both
double whites, a teaburst turning honeyburst, with beautiful even figuring over the entire top.
Distinguishing features: sharp indent upper bass bout and in line between ABR and stop tail.
Lower bout has a narrow remaining dark brown shading. Expertly removed and restored Bigsby B7 leaving a virtually invisible 'snake bite'. (could hardly make anything out even with a close up)

The Mahogany neck is, like many famous bursts darker than the Mahogany of the back.

Anyone know if Joe has a name for this one?

I may make this one a thread of its own. What do you guys think?

steph74

Reaction score
Another burst that Joe uses regularly, and sounds unearthly is found in TBOTB.
Page 87. Serial# 9 1688.
It features in many of his performances and distinguished by its uncovered Pafs, both
double whites, a teaburst turning honeyburst, with beautiful even figuring over the entire top.
Distinguishing features: sharp indent upper bass bout and in line between ABR and stop tail.
Lower bout has a narrow remaining dark brown shading. Expertly removed and restored Bigsby B7 leaving a virtually invisible 'snake bite'. (could hardly make anything out even with a close up)

The Mahogany neck is, like many famous bursts darker than the Mahogany of the back.

Anyone know if Joe has a name for this one?

I may make this one a thread of its own. What do you guys think?

That guitar is called SPOT
It’s not in Joe’s possession anymore, he sold it a few years back, the current owner is a French guitar shop owner, here’s some link about it ;

https://guitar.com/features/collections/matthieu-lucas-matts-guitar-shop/

https://www.mattsguitar.shop/fr

AcVox

Reaction score
So it's 'Spot' and now owned by a French man. Many thanks stef74. I really appreciate the name and links.
Joe seems to favour the tone of these vintage bursts around the 9lb mark, give or take.. I do recall him saying that the Les Paul's he let's go over the yrs tend towards the lighter weight examples.

Latest Threads