Anyone ID this pickup?

M37a11

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone help ID this Gibson pickup? Based on some google searching it looks like a 70s or 80s. It has 4 wires and measures 8.47k.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Kris Ford would probably know. At first glance it looked like a plain old stamped t top but that reading seems high - I’m no expert though.

DarrellV

'I'm not stupid, you just don't understand....'
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with a Tim Shaw Velvet Brick!

Brass screws, plastic lead, double hole baseplate(some had single, depends what Gibson had laying around) and most important, how close the edge of the cover is to the baseplate, indicating some thickness underneath.

And the ohm reading.

Common in some early 80's SG's they gave some extra Ooomph to the bridge position.
79 'The SG' had them..

Also found in these obscure gems...
1589833583267.png

So I'm dating it to the same time period, early to mid 80's...

Last edited:

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Kris Ford would probably know. At first glance it looked like a plain old stamped t top but that reading seems high - I’m no expert though.
He would too! God how I miss him!!!

I'm grateful for the time I got to share with him and the knowledge he shared..

The guy was a Gibson encyclopedia and generous to a fault! He had parts for anything!!

He sent me these to help complete my 82 overhaul free of charge! Period correct too!!

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa - I've been out of the loop in terms of posing big time.

Is he okay? Holy cow.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa - I've been out of the loop in terms of posing big time.

Is he okay? Holy cow.
I don't know! He was gone before the last upgrade and even his user name seems to be gone. It doesn't come up with the @ sign....

I just checked, his account is till here, but it's been a long time since he posted.
1589845898847.png

Last posts I found were from 2018...Looks like he was on the Marshall Forum till August of 2019...

Sorry , OP... not trying to hijack. This guy would have the answer if he were still around.

He was one of my best mentors when I joined here.

Last edited:

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Shoot... well here's hoping he's doing well.

Thanks for following up on this, man.

Stay healthy!

M37a11

Reaction score
I'm gonna go with a Tim Shaw Velvet Brick!

Brass screws, plastic lead, double hole baseplate(some had single, depends what Gibson had laying around) and most important, how close the edge of the cover is to the baseplate, indicating some thickness underneath.

And the ohm reading.

Common in some early 80's SG's they gave some extra Ooomph to the bridge position.
Also found in these obscure gems...
View attachment 463173
So I'm dating it to the same time period, early to mid 80's...

Interesting, I have never heard of these before. I always though ceramics were way hotter, like 13k? Is there a good database with info on older Gibson pickups?

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I have never heard of these before. I always though ceramics were way hotter, like 13k? Is there a good database with info on older Gibson pickups?
Here's a link to a post I made in the past in response to a similar question. It also has a side view of the pickup with the cover removed and showing the huge ceramic magnet that makes these thicker than normal pickups.

They were designed by Tim Shaw. By comparison his PAF design pickups should read mid 7K. The brick used both an enormous magnet and more windings for a kind of one - two punch.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/identification-guide-for-tim-shaw-paf-reissues.174898/post-9191491

Also this thread is good for some good info on other Gibson Shaw models at the time, PAF, Velvet Brick, Dirty Fingers, P490, there were a bunch. Some like the 490, have survived into today

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/identification-guide-for-tim-shaw-paf-reissues.174898/

Last edited:

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Out of a Sonex

M37a11

Reaction score
I popped the cover off to get a better look.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
I popped the cover off to get a better look.

Ok, I'm wrong on that guess! :eek2:

Maple spacer is the other one missing? I don't see it under the other coil.

No 'T' on the bobbin

Orange wire

Not a Shaw or Shaw derivative...

I'm going to have to say a T-Top even without the T on the bobbin.
I have found some of these with 4 wires and plastic leads. The maple spacer would also make more sense.
The ones I've seen had brass screws too.

And they can measure around 8K.

M37a11

Reaction score
Yes, it looks like one of the maple spacers is gone. Very interesting. I believe my '78 LP custom has the original T-Tops. Theoretically if I measure the bridge pickup it should also be about 8.5k?

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, it looks like one of the maple spacers is gone. Very interesting. I believe my '78 LP custom has the original T-Tops. Theoretically if I measure the bridge pickup it should also be about 8.5k?
Maybe a little less but it could be close..

I have to think that pickup has been played with and maybe even had the one coil replaced (the one with no spacer.

I looked at the overall shine, the bobbin screw holes, the tape gommed across the end, the missing spacer and to me it just says 'messed with'.

None of this matters since you are getting a good reading on it, only thing left is to try it out.

Without the spacer under the one coil it may be more prone to feedback at higher gain than normal.

Latest Threads