Anyone here own a Fender Twin Amp?

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a Twin Reverb, a Twin amp.. it’s a Blackface reissue I think.. switchable to 25 watts.. Opinions? I’ve got a trade offer for one.. they seem like solid amps..
5E984D8A-E2AF-4167-B65A-8F0391D4C87A.jpeg

just would like a little more input if possible.

Teledan

Reaction score
Yep! There were a few different Fender “Twin” amps. Is that a picture of the actual one you are looking at? If so, it’s the same as mine. They call it the “Evil Twin” or the “94 Twin Amp”. It has been a good amp, I just had a shop go through it about a year ago and repair some stuff and they put in some Tung Sol 12ax7 and 12at7 tubes. It sounds great but it is pretty freaking loud (100w). Some more info here:

And here is the owners manual:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Historically, they are the loudest amps Fender made back in the day, with the '56 versions cranking out 80 watts, and by 1959 or so, a whopping 100.

Pretty damn strong for an amp made before the 1960's.

They are inherently clean. They have a tradition of not breaking up until you reach the higher volumes, but every one I've cranked up on started breaking up at 7 or so on the volume knob.

My assessment is that the "clean" of a Twin Amp is a really beautiful bloom around the notes. Nice amp. Great "bottom" to them. Look up Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools" for a bit of a Twin's bottom sounds. Joe South does a number on that. That bottom with the tremolo is out of this world.

Heavy amp.

Strong amp.

TheX

Dirka Dirka
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So0per nice amps, would love to have the one I sold many years ago. I have a really nice '65 Pro Reverb Blackface that kicks ass. If I had to have one amp, it would be an early Fender.

Lex

Reaction score
I don't have that Fender reissue, but I built two low power Twin amps from the early Fender tweed schematic. No gain knob and about 40 watts. I just turn them up and enjoy.
Here are a few vids messing about on a 355 and an SG through my low power Twins. Never mind my playing, you can kinda get a feel for how they break up. Cool amps.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Historically, they are the loudest amps Fender made back in the day, with the '56 versions cranking out 80 watts, and by 1959 or so, a whopping 100.

They are inherently clean. They have a tradition of not breaking up until you reach the higher volumes, but every one I've cranked up on started breaking up at 7 or so on the volume knob.

My assessment is that the "clean" of a Twin Amp is a really beautiful bloom around the notes. Nice amp. Great "bottom" to them. Look up Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools" for a bit of a Twin's bottom sounds. Joe South does a number on that. That bottom with the tremolo is out of this world.

Heavy amp.

Strong amp.
On a tour I was supplied with a Twin and it sounded fantastic when I cranked it up. Sadly it killed several people who got too close and nobody could hear the rest of the band. We tried facing it this way and that but it wanted it's way no matter what. It was traded on day two for a Peavy.

LP121

Reaction score
[QUOTE="SixAngryStrings, post: 9312807, member: 56218"

just would like a little more input if possible.
[/QUOTE]

Looks like it has two. How many do you need? :shock:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife got me this one for my birthday a few years ago.
It can get a little loud for my condo.

I think she misunderstood when I said that I wanted a tweed Twin Amp :D

20191102_194351.jpg

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fender Twins went to 135 at their highest wattage.

Anything they can't do can be supplemented with a pedal or two. But no amount of pedals will get what a Twin can do. LOUD with Gobs of HEADROOM and clean to a little dirty. Think Toy Caldwell!

Unfortunately HEAVY and Need to breathe with a lot of volume. But when you need Vs, What an AMP!

Now what you're looking at, Maybe some sort of Twin, But does it command this space? Maybe at best!

Hopefully, it covers all you need if you're really considering it because you're short with what you have.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fender Twins went to 135 at their highest wattage.
Remember the black grille Super Twin from the late 70s?
SIX 6L6 tubes!
Nugent's backline was built from those at CalJam-2.

garybaldy

Reaction score

Heavy amp.

Strong amp.
No tremolo on the version pictured by the OP.
I have the later incarnation which does have the trem but not so many gain options. This suits me cos I use a few different ODs. It's a lovely amp but I choose to use my 1x12 Musicman 65RP cos it's half the weight and I don't currently need super super clean at high vol.
BTW I've seen ads for one or other of these versions with the wrong picture shown so make sure you know which one you're getting!
Cheers

Svet

Reaction score
I’ve had one of these Twin Pro for over a decade now. It has been solid and reliable but it is not gigged. The tremolo unit went out years ago and I never bothered to have it looked at. It has easy to use bias adjustment with leds for the power tubes which is a nice feature. As with most Twin Amps it is heavy! The cleans are your typical Fender chimes but the distortion channel has much more grunt and gain than your typical Fender. It is my primary amp as I don’t need to fuss with pedals. Just plug in and use the Fender foot switch! Reverb works great too!

NM, just realized that’s not the pro iteration.... sorry

redcoats1976

Reaction score
a friend has one,its a heavy chunk.he throws it into the trunk of his car,takes it to gigs and it sounds great(but loud)

Teledan

Reaction score
Here’s a pic of mine. Notice the Mix, Reverb, and Presence knobs in their own section at the far right and the two inputs on the left. That’s an easy way to identify the 94 Twin from other amps. This amp is not a reissue, it was originally made in 1994. It is not a Twin Reverb although it does have a reverb tank. From what I have heard, it is very different from other amps named “Twin” that came before it (and some of the other amps mentioned in this thread) and the 1st channel circuit is actually more similar to the old tweed bassman. It has two channels but Channel 1 has a drive mode as well as a bright mode. Channel 2 is the overdrive channel. There should be a pedal that comes with it to switch between the channels. Without the pedal you can switch between channels via push/pull pots. It’s been a good amp. Real loud and heavy but has some great clean tones, lots of headroom.

1ACFBEB5-38D9-4924-B0EC-1AB425589F54.jpeg

BKS

Reaction score
Yep! There were a few different Fender “Twin” amps. Is that a picture of the actual one you are looking at? If so, it’s the same as mine. They call it the “Evil Twin” or the “94 Twin Amp”. It has been a good amp, I just had a shop go through it about a year ago and repair some stuff and they put in some Tung Sol 12ax7 and 12at7 tubes. It sounds great but it is pretty freaking loud (100w). Some more info here:

And here is the owners manual:

Now i at first thought my "the twin" was the evil twin but it seems i was mistaken like many others. But why were these called evil twin? I love my red knob twin, i see it as the budget twin....

Tone deaf

Reaction score
If it's a Fender tube amp with >30w, you'll probably find a certain amount of joy by swapping out the linear taper volume pot for an audio taper one.

That trick turns many useless fender amps into keepers.

Latest Threads