Anyone here have a 2013 +/- R9 that has faded at all?

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine's a 2013 in Bourbon burst. First year they used aniline dye on the sides everywhere except the top. The top hasn't faded, not that I can tell anyway, but here's a few have-notices:

Since shorty after I bought it, the red dye started bleeding all over the neck binding from the 16th fret down to the 1st. Over time, the red has lightened some on the areas where I seem to play it the most.

The back of the neck is showing some spots where the neck is tuning a slight bit of orange or amber, as well as the sides where my right arm contacts it, and also where the bottom comes in contact with my pants while playing it sitting down.

Otherwise, now much fading to speak of on the back of the body or the headtsock.
-----

One thing interesting, is that on my 2011 R8, there was some minor but obvious fading already by 2013, is seen when I take the poker chip and pickguard off. Yet nothing on the R9.

Any comments, particularly for those who have 2013 R9's?

Thanks.

monty john

Reaction score
13 R9.....faded a lot on the top....was a cherry.....she fugly but plays and sounds amazing

Attachments

• lester.JPG
    lester.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 58

1allspub

Reaction score
My 2018 R8 in Royal Teaburst has faded some since new. Especially the neck, but the top and back too. Has then binding bleed as well, but they all get that.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The 68 custom I had, had the entire back of the neck turn a weird milky version of the original cherry color. It no longer matched the back. I noticed this occurrence of a few. Mine was a 2012.

1allspub

Reaction score
I prefer the eclectic tops. Perfectly symmetry is a bit boring TBH! That one‘s killer in my book. And it being previously owned by DSJ is even cooler! :thumbs:

monty john

Reaction score
I prefer the eclectic tops. Perfectly symmetry is a bit boring TBH! That one‘s killer in my book. And it being previously owned by DSJ is even cooler! :thumbs:
YUP she's a player.....made to slam the steel...jerk the neck...cut a rug..thanks man

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Aniline cherry dye has been used in the pore filler for the Mahogany since 1999, so did not start in 2013. Over the years there has been different concentrations used so some years have more extreme binding bleed.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
My room has basically no sunlight. So all my reissues are static. But I’ve got used one’s with various fade patterns. UV light is the thing. Love it or hate it! I kinda dig it tbh, and consider leave some of my guitars on stands in my kitchen nook that gets good sun exposure. But I’m kind of chicken too lol!

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The backs of some of my '06 R9s and the front of my '06 CS '60 LP Special are turning brown from their original glorious red color. I'm not happy about it. :(

brandall10

Reaction score
I know you asked about R9s, but the dye is the same on the R8s and the back and neck on my '13 R8 has faded a good amount on the side more exposed to the sun where it was displayed for several years.

The binding bleed during the first couples years also was rather extreme and now non-existent, just worn away with playing.

Latest Threads