Anyone have a NoNeck Strat?

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never heard of them until today.

NoNeck as in big fat necks (some have 0.96 @ the nut!)

If you have one or have played one, how do you like it. Round shape? Any V shape? Comment, please.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I owned an Ancho Poblano Strat, which I believe has the same neck profile. It was massive. I liked it at first (reminded me of an old R8), but ultimately decided I prefer something a little less beefy and C shaped vs. U shaped. YMMV, of course.

filtersweep

Reaction score
I’d probably buy more Fenders if these trickled down to their peasant class guitars. I own a Baja which people tout as ‘massive’— and it is nowhere near a Gibson.

tzd

Reaction score
The Vintera Road Worn 50s Tele has a similar thick U ‘boat’ neck.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The U shape and that thickness seems to be along the lines of the Fender CS 1951-52 U shaped Tele necks. It'd be nice to have that thickness profiled to a nice soft V or modern V.

tzd

Reaction score
It'd be nice to have that thickness profiled to a nice soft V or modern V.
The Vintera Road Worn 50s Stratocaster comes close to it. It's a soft V and substantially thick, although it does not feel as thick as that of the 50s Tele when I tried it.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I'm currently building a partscaster Strat and I'm using an Allparts FAT neck which is just under 1" deep at the first and twelfth frets. It's very similar to the 'Fat '51 U' neck I have on a Telecaster I built last year. It makes a nice change from the medium C neck on my older Strat, but I like to have guitars with different profiles, radii and frets, which is why I have a slim taper SG and a 'rounded 50s' Junior as well.

Currently got the FAT neck on my 1982 JV Squier Strat as I'm waiting for the body paint to harden off before I fully assemble the new Strat.

Rosewood JV Strat (3).png

It came as a bare wood neck, so needed a bit of work on the frets and general sanding before I lacquered it with tinted clear nitro:

Neck 14.png

EDIT: This neck reminds me of the American Original 50s Strat I tried last year, but they are maple fingerboards, so it seems harder to find a fat Strat neck with a Rosewood fingerboard.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have one of these and the neck is instantly comfortable. Very big, very round, and plays like a dream.

boybuddy

Reaction score
I just got a NoNeck Strat with a '51 U neck, it is .98 at 1st and 1.0 at 12th. It actually feels fatter on the lower frets because it feels so deep but you get used to it instantly. I have a LP Standard 50's (2021) and this thing is definitely fatter but I think similar in shape. My D-18 is much thinner but a more u-shape that is similar. I love the fat necks but was worried this was too fat when I first picked it up, but two days in and it already feels normal and less fat. I have not played my other guitars though and curious if they feel small now.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I put an AllParts FAT neck on a 57 AVRI Strat and it's fantastic (and for sale at a great price in the classifieds!).

1621908075584.jpg

smk506

Reaction score
I put an AllParts FAT neck on a 57 AVRI Strat and it's fantastic (and for sale at a great price in the classifieds!).

View attachment 540116
Ive got the same necks for my strat and tele. Love them, killer necks with a huge profile.

I’m glad to see the manufacturers starting to bring the chunkers back to production line guitars. Past due.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I just got a NoNeck Strat with a '51 U neck, it is .98 at 1st and 1.0 at 12th. It actually feels fatter on the lower frets because it feels so deep but you get used to it instantly. I have a LP Standard 50's (2021) and this thing is definitely fatter but I think similar in shape. My D-18 is much thinner but a more u-shape that is similar. I love the fat necks but was worried this was too fat when I first picked it up, but two days in and it already feels normal and less fat. I have not played my other guitars though and curious if they feel small now.
I'm the same; I play my new Strat with the Allparts FAT SWO neck and after a few minutes it just felt normal. I did swap over to my other Strat with a more medium C shape and I soon adjust again (I've had that one nearly 40 years now). I think it's good to have a mix of different profiles as I sometimes get hand aches and pains that mean I either have to stop playing for a few days, or simply just change from slim to fat (or visa versa). The later is a much better option and an excuse for more guitars. :)

Welcome to the forum too. :dude:

Latest Threads