Anyone have a LP Spotlight Special?

bblooz

Reaction score
I was reading an interesting article in the Feb 2020 issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine about these limited release models made in 1983. They came in ANT and ASB finish, had Walnut or Mahogany strips down the center of the premium flamed maple tops. By this time the mahogany necks had returned, and the ski-jump volute was gone. An interesting side note of Norlin history. I was just wondering if anyone of our members has/had one of these rare birds? If so, please share your story and pix with the rest of us. Tnx!
GIBSON_SPOTLIGHT_01-1024x485.jpg

Oranjeaap

Reaction score

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
he built an impressive collection, and sold them off......ultimately, that sale seemed to change it from a hobby (seems like he was also buying a home etc. etc.?) to doing what he is doing now....making a living!!

you have got to love that....he took a passion, worked his ass off, and had it pay off and never has to go to "work" again.

America!

Trogly

Reaction score
Fun fact - 4 of the 5 went to the same buyer. The mint condition one was separated and sold off to Hong Kong as a Pregnancy Present. I tried to buy the other 4 back shortly after selling them, but the new owner would only sell them for the price he paid, but he gets to keep #2. I passed on that. The ones he didn't want (he kept 89 and 2) were traded off to Fretted Americana where that collector get #21 in exchange - the one I really wanted for years. FA then sold off the others.

Maybe one day I could start my spotlight collection again, but getting the original 5 back together would be rather difficult!

Last edited:

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Austin got me wanting one of these little masterpieces from the year of the great National Lampoons Vacation a.d :cool:.

jb_abides

Reaction score
Mike Slubowski from LPF wrote a nice piece on them... mmm, mmm, maple-walnut goodness!

Latest Threads