Anyone have a drink when playing their Les Paul? Alcohol and Nitro Damage?.......

Spiderman0863

Reaction score
I think that is exactly what happened to mine. I was drinking a Bud light can , I opened it and little beer always splashes on your hand. I just noticed around the bottom neck area and on top of the body a fingerprint size somewhat melted area . Really? Is this possible? I remember a while back a thread about a member using a alcohol wipe and messing up the finish . I will post pics asap.

shupe13

Reaction score
My buddy spilled a mixed drink on his SG and it destroyed the finish. I don't know if it was because of the amount of time it was exposed to the alcohol (he didn't realize until the next day) or the type of alcohol.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, sir.

But I have destroyed an expensive keyboard with alcohol.
It's the Devils tool I tell you.

laterider

Reaction score
I seem to need a drink to get going at gigs, it may leave a spot or two in the process but it gets my grove going and I’m sure the audience appreciates it. I read once Slash couldn’t play without a drink but not now. I’m still learning...

judson

Reaction score
well the problem wasnt spilling , your problem was you were too slow to lick it off...

sheeez........c'mon man think a bit will ya !!! :slap:

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Alcohol and guitars don’t mix. I was playing one of my Strats while drinking, put the Strat on a stand, then tripped on the stand, knocked the stand and the guitar over and tore a chunk out of the guitar body. Drinking while playing will ruin your guitar. Don’t do it. Alcohol will mess up the finish.

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
I play in an Irish Pub band. I act like it too ; ).

That being said, I don't beat up my stuff, and really take care of my gear. I spent too long scratching and clawing to have the guitars that I do to take them for granted.

I do have a 'splash' mark on one of my acoustics which is pretty bad. It's a player and I'm not a 'shiny' guitar guy, but still it's a pretty bad finish issue. On my LPs I have a spot or tannish here and there that I assume is from a beer or drink here and there, but nothing noteworthy. I couldn't tell you what put that splash on my acoustic, or why it's so much more pronounced than my LP that I play much more often at gigs. Either way, I either drink Yuengling, Guinness, or Bourbon with ginger on stage. One of those three is the culprit...

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had plenty of beer and/or hard alcohol spilled or dripped onto my Les Pauls without consequence. I usually wipe them down the next day after playing so it wouldn't have stayed on the finish for more than a day but I've never seen damage as a result.

What I *have* seen damage from is during outdoor gig season both sunscreen (especially the aerosol spray) and bug spray will dull the finish which cannot easily be polished out. So be careful out there.

RocketKing

Reaction score
I seem to need a drink to get going at gigs, it may leave a spot or two in the process but it gets my grove going and I’m sure the audience appreciates it. I read once Slash couldn’t play without a drink but not now. I’m still learning...
That's cause he was an alcoholic at the time :laugh2::slash: