Anyone have a Danelectro?

RicOkc

Reaction score
I had one of the first run reissue Danelectro 12 strings.

Good guitar, had a great sound, but the neck wasn't stable.

I'd adjust the truss rod to where I wanted it and about two days later it would shift. This happened several times, then I finally traded it in for another guitar.

garybaldy

Reaction score
Yes. I have changed the one vol/one tone to stacked pots. BTW it's a 12 string - great for those Tom Petty/George Harrison moments
DC4 Danelectro.jpg

moreles

Reaction score
I had one -- that is, shared with friends -- when I was in high school. It essentially got played to death in the period of about a year. If you like the feel and tone, then go for it. IMO and experience, they are junk. The bridge is built to wear and fail, and between the masonite and whippy neck, it's sort of steady degradation from Day One. Since the guiding principle is to be cheap, I guess they're a fantastic success.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I had one -- that is, shared with friends -- when I was in high school. It essentially got played to death in the period of about a year. If you like the feel and tone, then go for it. IMO and experience, they are junk. The bridge is built to wear and fail, and between the masonite and whippy neck, it's sort of steady degradation from Day One. Since the guiding principle is to be cheap, I guess they're a fantastic success.

It has a new bridge now. A bad ass type you can intonate. Although that won't stop the other potential issues. I'm easy on my guitars with my playing style, so I hope it doesn't fall apart :)'

Here's a stock pic. I haven't taken any yet due to crummy weather/lighting.

kk2w7eurfd7rc3xysgtq.jpg

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
I have a Danelectro made in Korea .... it is a 56 U2 .... not sure what year it is. We did get a good deal on it and it had a hard case made for the Danelectro guitar.

We didn't pay much money for it and it is a very fun guitar to play. I set it up with 9-42 Ernie Balls. Very happy with it, have had it for over a year now. I highly recommend these and yes you will probably have to do some sort of work to it. This one had frets lifting out and scratchy knobs. it's all good now though ...

I bought some hard to find spare parts like the wood bridge though I suppose making one would be very easy and also bought a nut made for these which screws in with a single screw and is not glued in. Very serviceable guitar really for any skill level.

Anyway ... here's some photos. I like the colors these come in also, would love to find a metallic purple.

IMG_8818.jpg
IMG_8817.jpg
IMG_8816.jpg
IMG_8815.jpg
IMG_8813.jpg
IMG_8812.jpg
IMG_8811.jpg
IMG_8809.jpg
IMG_1734.jpg
IMG_1732.jpg
IMG_1728.jpg
IMG_1730.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score
@Les Paul John what pots and cap did you use? I've been trying to research that and opinions are all over the map!

And did changing the nut change the tone? The aluminum nut has me scratching my head but if it adds to it's tone I will leave it alone.

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
@Les Paul John what pots and cap did you use? I've been trying to research that and opinions are all over the map!

And did changing the nut change the tone? The aluminum nut has me scratching my head but if it adds to it's tone I will leave it alone.

I didn't change anything ... I replaced the toggle switch, the one pictured is the old one which was broken, I got a new one that looks like the old one and is also cheap because the harness has a slot made to hold the switch. I don't like to change things from original unless I have to. The caps are stock as are the pots which are stacked vol. and tone in the same knob.

Hard to see in the photo but the toggle switch sits in a pre-made metal rectangle made for it. I had to find a toggle that was the same size which was a hit or miss effort also.

As far as the nut goes it is made for this guitar and helps with the tone. I can imagine a bone nut or something else would work but this nut isn’t glued and sounds good so why change it. I bought an extra one which are hard to find from Chicago Music Exchange.

33.U2SwitchInstall.112611_059.jpg

Last edited:

old mark

Reaction score
I have had several over the years...Played an original Dano Longhorn bass in the '60's and '70's...Now have a '90's reissue, and 2 6 strings, a black DC59, along with a 3 pickup DC in metallic purple. I love 'em, and I DO use the aftermarket adjustable bridge on both guitars...vast improvement. My guitars are both newer Chinese made versions, and all 3 are better made than the originals.

Last edited:

old mark

Reaction score
Oh, yeah...this old guy likes them, too...he has the adjustable bridge on his, and it seems like he keeps it handy around his house...

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
It has a new bridge now. A bad ass type you can intonate. Although that won't stop the other potential issues. I'm easy on my guitars with my playing style, so I hope it doesn't fall apart :)'

because of the lipstick pickups , this is my jangly go to for punk / heavy rhythms . I beat the hell out of mine __ so you should have no problem :thumb:

I have seen some of the original models in poor condition . maybe the quality of masonite that they were using at the time . or just bad storage conditions

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
I've a... don't know what year, but it's over 15 years, one that was marketed as a Jimmy Page model DC59.
Love... it's different. The bridge pickup on it's own sounds like a crap Strat copy, BUT the neck and both (in series) settings sound really, really good. Nice neck on mine - nice and chunky. Also love that it's made out of 'hardboard and plywood'.
Hate... whoever thought recessing the wrapover in to the top wants their balls cutting off. A string change requires the removal of the bridge from the guitar - ie. unscrewing the mounting studs, because there isn't enough clearance to slide the bridge off or feed strings through. I think they fixed this on later ones?
It's a great 'something different in the studio', but ungiggable, because of the bridge situation.

Last edited:

Frogfur

Reaction score

Here's a stock pic. I haven't taken any yet due to crummy weather/lighting.

kk2w7eurfd7rc3xysgtq.jpg
No matter what anyone else says, you like it. Hey ..Jimmy Page has one and flaunts it too. SOoo..you know.
I'll bet your more abusive toward yours than he is. :acoustic:
Inexpensive they may be, but I've had a few cheap ones along the line myself. Right now Roxy my $399.00 CV Tel has a neck on it that is the fastest neck of any of my guitars. It's so darn good, if it's not a genuine Fender good neck it should be.

That bridge is the Bee's Knees.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I've a... don't know what year, but it's over 15 years, one that was marketed as a Jimmy Page model DC59.
Love... it's different. The bridge pickup on it's own sounds like a crap Strat copy, BUT the neck and both (in series) settings sound really, really good. Nice neck on mine - nice and chunky. Also love that it's made out of 'hardboard and plywood'.
Hate... whoever thought recessing the wrapover in to the top wants their balls cutting off. A string change requires the removal of the bridge from the guitar - ie. unscrewing the mounting studs, because there isn't enough clearance to slide the bridge off or feed strings through. I think they fixed this on later ones?
It's a great 'something different in the studio', but ungiggable, because of the bridge situation.

No, they didn't fix it. It's still recessed and I learned a couple of days ago it's a pain to change the strings. Make a note once you have your guitar set up of how many turns you made to take the bridge off so you can put it back without doing a set up each time.

Telechamp

Reaction score
@Telechamp I love that cherry burst color!

It's on the truck for delivery but it looks like it was loaded at 2:44 AM. Cold cold cold last night with clear skies. I know it's not nitro but I will be leaving it in the box for several hours once it gets here. Probably no pics until tomorrow then.

Thanks, Roxy. Yeah, I really regret getting rid of mine. Might have to start looking for another one..

Telechamp

Reaction score
Ok, here are my preliminary thoughts. I'll try to get some nice pics tomorrow during the daytime.

Fit and finish seem very good. No sharp fret ends or anything like that.

It stays in tune well so the machine heads are definitely decent.

It's very light and fun to play. It sounds best to me using both pickups together. Using just the bridge or just the neck the output is weaker.

Set up out of the box is decent. I like to give a guitar at least a week to acclimate to my house before I set it up but it's very playable right now.

To my great surprise it has a lot of sustain! I didn't expect that from such a light guitar that is made out of masonite. Cool beans!

I'm not sure exactly what the pick guard is made from but it feels very different from my LPs, SGs and strats. I noticed it right away (I touch the pick guard with my pinky when I play). But, it only felt weird for a moment and then I didn't notice it anymore.

The headstock looks tiny to me compared to every other guitar I own.

I like it a lot so far though and am glad I got it.

You'll find the in-between position sounds best on these!

Latest Threads