Anyone grab the 1952 gibson LP husk on Reverb $11,000 ?

judson

Reaction score
cant remember the year...was only there for maybe 48 hours...someone got it

i cant find any trace of it now....

finish was stripped completely....i thought it was a bit high but maybe not

for $3k or $4k more there are a few complete guitars ..Roy Clarks conversion asking $15k...

but just curious

judson

Reaction score
all due respect to Roy, this conversion is a bit less....

im am hoping to see if the Philly Fall Guitar show is still on and what may be available there...past 3 years i said i was going to get there...this year i can make the time if its not cancelled :fingersx:

red_house356

Reaction score
^^^ That one has tempted me a couple of times. Biggest con(s), for me at least, is the shaved down neck profile and new fretboard. I would take it if it was priced at about $8500-10000. May drop a line if things go down hill.

I almost struck a deal outside Reverb, but fully expected to see the guitar go. I was going to aim for below asking price and have them refin it, add binding, and possibly plug the bridge for a HB. My dream guitar is a '52-53 Goldtop Wraparound w/ HB bridge. Kinda like Snatch from the LesPaulForum.

http://instagr.am/p/B_XTmizlvjM/
I haven't seen a "blank canvas" '52-53 Les Paul in a hot minute. Prices keep going up as original finish Goldtops become more rare. Too many individuals are just converting these into bursts. I have watched Les Paul on my Reverb and all the player grade guitars in the $8000-11000 range are long gone. If I find the right aged (natural or relic) reissue Goldtop, I might just bite.

Good luck with search. Have a line on a '53 Les Paul, but I'm not digging the wraparound angle, condition of the binding, and it'll need a refret soon. May pull the trigger in 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just missed on a 50s husk and I'm legit depressed about it. Had a deal lined up locally, even started amassing some vintage parts to put into it, and the guy suddenly tells me it's no longer available. I have a feeling someone offered him more money. Nothing I can do about it, but it's a major bummer.

Incidentally, if anyone needs any authentic Burst parts...

red_house356

Reaction score
Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. Local deals are tricky. Either party (seller or buyer) is more likely to flake unfortunately. The owner of the local 50s Les Paul I might pick up essentially told me that he'd be willing to wait the 2-3 weeks, but if he gets an offer, its gone. I already sold off most of my vintage guitars and amps ('59 Bassman and some Juniors) to pick up a '52-54 Les Paul last year. That fell through. I sold off a Bogner Helios, Two Note Captor X, and various pedals to grab this one.

judson

Reaction score
^^^ That one has tempted me a couple of times. Biggest con(s), for me at least, is the shaved down neck profile and new fretboard. I would take it if it was priced at about $8500-10000. May drop a line if things go down hill.

I almost struck a deal outside Reverb, but fully expected to see the guitar go. I was going to aim for below asking price and have them refin it, add binding, and possibly plug the bridge for a HB. My dream guitar is a '52-53 Goldtop Wraparound w/ HB bridge. Kinda like Snatch from the LesPaulForum.

I haven't seen a "blank canvas" '52-53 Les Paul in a hot minute. Prices keep going up as original finish Goldtops become more rare. Too many individuals are just converting these into bursts. I have watched Les Paul on my Reverb and all the player grade guitars in the $8000-11000 range are long gone. If I find the right aged (natural or relic) reissue Goldtop, I might just bite.

Good luck with search. Have a line on a '53 Les Paul, but I'm not digging the wraparound angle, condition of the binding, and it'll need a refret soon. May pull the trigger in 2-3 weeks.
thanks for finding that reverb ad....would have liked to see how it looked with the original gold finish...dont care how bad it looked would have been difficult to to pass up.....the hunt continues :fingersx:

red_house356

Reaction score
Lot of play wear on that fretboard.
That's definitely a lot of wear, but an indictator that it was a workhorse. I've had similar fretboard wear (albeit, a lot less) like that on a '56 Junior and "69 Les Paul. I put Jumbo Jescar frets on the '69 and it didn't bother me, ymmv.

thanks for finding that reverb ad....would have liked to see how it looked with the original gold finish...dont care how bad it looked would have been difficult to to pass up.....the hunt continues :fingersx:
No worries. Hope to see your NGD sometime soon. Mine may be around the corner. Happy hunting.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^^^ That one has tempted me a couple of times. Biggest con(s), for me at least, is the shaved down neck profile and new fretboard.
THAT. And the incorrect neck binding. And the large diameter switch cavity hole. And the poor refinish.

kakerlak

Reaction score
The best thing that Roy might have going for is is the fretboard. This is some exceptionally tight/smooth/pore-free rosewood:

The rest of it is so weirded-up, I think I'd rather have a no-issues '68 reissue.

PGguy

Reaction score

"This husk is from one of the very first batches " - stated in the description he and AMJ Guitars made aged authentic 59's and Goldtops - fooled the "experts" described in another thread, a couple may have made the CC appraisal and Goldtop :lol: conversion...

PGguy

Reaction score
GM Vintage does a lot of Fender copies as well...

red_house356

Reaction score
As with anything, there's a point where you get diminishing returns. Which is partly why I sold off all of my vintage gear. But, I still have this bug for an early '50s Les Paul. There's a nicely aged CR R4 that may quench this "need" for a vintage Goldtop.

cherrick

Reaction score
If it sold why is the ad still up?
Also, '52 would not have had a poker chip (quibble/)

Latest Threads