Anyone Got Active Pick-Ups In Their LP?

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I'm shopping for pick-ups and I started reading about active pick-ups and now I'm curious. Anyone here use them? I have a 2019 LP Classic and I was thinking about putting Gibson 500T/496R pick-ups in it since the original owner swapped out whatever Gibson pick-ups it came with. These are passive, higher output pick-ups but I'd like to consider other options as well. I know the basic technology behind active pick-ups. Do all of them need to be powered with a 9v?

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think that's what makes them "Active".

I had them (FACTORY INSTALLED!!!! :wow:) in one of my guitars. It was a great guitar. The sound was terrific (to me). And I don't play brootalz :jam:, or even high-gain.

It also had a piezo bridge, which was far more interesting to me than the EMGs.

View attachment 379171

With stereo outputs, Active EMGs and the piezo bridge, the wiring was pretty complicated.

But it all fit, even the easily-changed battery. Like good pedals, the battery disconnects when the output cable is unplugged.

View attachment 379172

View attachment 379173
I thought I read somewhere that “most active pick-ups were powered by a 9v”. I guess I thought there might be other options.

They don’t make solar powered pick-ups?

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I'm shopping for pick-ups and I started reading about active pick-ups and now I'm curious. Anyone here use them? I have a 2019 LP Classic and I was thinking about putting Gibson 500T/496R pick-ups in it since the original owner swapped out whatever Gibson pick-ups it came with. These are passive, higher output pick-ups but I'd like to consider other options as well. I know the basic technology behind active pick-ups. Do all of them need to be powered with a 9v?
My number 1 is an 07 classic with 496/500 setup.
It is the baddest guitar I own...
Also “built” a stratosphere with the same setup but with an HP neck and splits/taps, flametop etc...

I cannot say enough good things about this setup....
Beats any active buy a mile imho...especially at lower [guitar] volumes there is so much tone flexibility...

Easily my favorite pup combo...here’s the stratosphere one

-Chris

Rando375

Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
My number 1 is an 07 classic with 496/500 setup.
It is the baddest guitar I own...
Also “built” a stratosphere with the same setup but with an HP neck and splits/taps, flametop etc...

I cannot say enough good things about this setup....
Beats any active buy a mile imho...especially at lower [guitar] volumes there is so much tone flexibility...

Easily my favorite pup combo...here’s the stratosphere one

View attachment 379196

-Chris
Well its certainly a looker as well Chris, dang :thumb:

shupe13

Reaction score
I think that's what makes them "Active".

I had them (FACTORY INSTALLED!!!! :wow:) in one of my guitars. It was a great guitar. The sound was terrific (to me). And I don't play brootalz :jam:, or even high-gain.

It also had a piezo bridge, which was far more interesting to me than the EMGs.

View attachment 379171

With stereo outputs, Active EMGs and the piezo bridge, the wiring was pretty complicated.

But it all fit, even the easily-changed battery. Like good pedals, the battery disconnects when the output cable is unplugged.

View attachment 379172

View attachment 379173
Man that is a beautiful beast!

Reactions: Who

jvin248

Reaction score

Actives have their fans ... but you have to find a place to stash that battery and possibly a small circuit board.

Take your control plate off and jam in an old 9v to find a possible way to store it without modding the guitar, before you buy the new pickups.

dodona

Reaction score
I had a EMG in the early 80ths, however got rid of it very quickly as it doesn't sound authentic.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
I use the Emg 57-7 \ 66-7 set, it sounds great in any situation. I also have one with Duncan's JB 59, but I generally prefer the Emgs.

Reactions: Who

Side Burns

Reaction score
I use passive (no battery) pickups and i keep up with my buddy with EMG’s And i don’t have to worry about batteries dying and fizzing out the sound.

I highly suggest any of the following

Dimarzio X2N

Duncan Dimebucker

Bill Lawrence Wilde L500XL (Dime’s original pickup)

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
I got a Dimebucker in an epi lp and that thing rips, but I wouldn't call it a versatile pickup. Its more for the high gain, lots of bass on tap.

Side Burns

Reaction score
I got a Dimebucker in an epi lp and that thing rips, but I wouldn't call it a versatile pickup. Its more for the high gain, lots of bass on tap.

I agree about it ripping. It does metal perfectly! If instead of my MXR Fullbore Metal pedal I run any of my rails through a Fultone OCD pedal with gain knob anywhere between 1/3 - 2/3, I find I get a great 70’s/90’s Classic/Grunge Rock sound.

Malchik

Reaction score
I had the EMG 81/85 combo in my old M2M Custom. You'd have to run that thing an acoustic amp to get clean tones.

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
I only ever used the SD mustaine pickups in 1 guitar for actives. That didnt last long. Im not an active pup guy. I have a bareknuckle blackdog in one.. and a holydiver in another.

Never tried emg .. just never liked any guitar that had them in

dspelman

Reaction score
I've had active pickups (or an active preamp) in various LP-style guitars for years.
I have, for example, a Moonstone with Bartolini active pickups, a couple of Carvins with active preamps, an Ibanez Artist with an active preamp, etc. All require a 9V battery, either stuffed into the control cavity or into an additional battery box on the back of the guitar. Active pickups on guitars weren't originally associated with "metal" as tightly as they are now, and offered a lot of options in terms of tonal control (including boosts and cuts of various frequencies). Passives offer only the possibility of a roll-off of some frequencies including bass and mids in addition to the treble rolloff we usually call a "tone" control.

tzd

Reaction score
Active pickups are nice to have but maintaining the battery gets old after a while. If you want to go ahead, best bet are the EMG Retro-Active or Het Set.

However, not sure if the control cavity of your Classic Lite is any shallower than a normal Les Paul cavity?

Deftone

Reaction score
I had EMG 81/85 setup in an Explorer and I just bought a Les Paul Standard Light with EMG 81/85 Zakk Wylde Limited Edition pickups. It's a thin body les pal and the battery fits fine.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ngd-2014-gibson-les-paul-standard-light.427295/#post-9134156

While I like the tone of most players who use EMG's, I personally don't find them to be so good that they are worth the extra money and hassle. I'll keep them in for now, even though I'm not crazy about the look. They do sound interesting, very responsive.

guitaroholic

Reaction score
Do all of them need to be powered with a 9v?
Some can optionally run on TWO 9V. Like EMGs... longer life and even more headroom is the claim.
I have two active guitars. Yamaha Image is a switchable hybrid, the other has a set of EMG-X pups.
The EMGs are very clear, sound nice clean and obviously rip on high gain.

But I HATE dealing with batteries. From that standpoint I'd just go with passive wherever possible.
As far as looks, at least EMG has options beyond black plastic these days.

496/500 are a great high output choice with Gibson sound. They're in my Studio Lite.
I'm sure there are other high output options, but none I have experience with.

Deftone

Reaction score
Here's my guitar with the EMG's.....

IMG_2108a.JPG

And a pic of the cavity.....

IMG_2104a.JPG

Not crazy about the overall look...too busy with the flame top, IMHO. But it's sounding so good that I'll deal with it for now. I don't really do cleans too much so I'm the worst person to ask about that.

Deftone

Reaction score
Changed the battery and the tone got worse? Really spikey and harsh. Very non organic and processed. I'm guessing I could maybe roll back the volume and dial in the amp controls to find a tone I like but really don't want to tweak controls every time I play. Played my passive LP right afterwards and it was spot on.

I'm over it. EMG set for sale.