Anyone familiar with Greensboro/Winston-Salem NC?

toymaker

Reaction score
So just had conversation with my job about an opening in the area.

Basically - they have an open position and it was on my short list of areas I'd consider relocation to - so they're interested in me.

Nice area? Front my limited research - fairly rural and low key. Got a few mid size cities - but not growing like Charlotte.

Whats cost of living like? Guessing on lower end given its the South and not growing. What kind of housecoukd I get for 250k-300k?

Ideal set up would be "near" water - don't have to be right on a lake...but close is better. How's weather year round and traffic? Any recommendations where to look first?

Just did OBX last week...its a nice area - but no place I would ever live. Too traffic, cost are outrageous and too many people. Of course I know come back x-mas and there would be maybe 5% of the people. How far of a drive if we wanted to vacation there?

The big debate with me and wife right now is where to look to move next. She wants near ocean and loves Seattle (I like - but hate a few things aside from the culture of the city...mainly cost of living/housing). I want a place where I'm not crammed in...maybe an acre or 2...garage/shop) and country is good.

We are in agreement - no Florida, no Texas. West coast is kinda far from our Ohio roots and family - whereas NC or VA is drivable a few times a year if we wanted to come back.

Only tough thing - they won't pay relocation (at least they say that now). Of course every is negotiable. Making "big city" money now helps if stepping down - I might have to pay to move - but keeping my salary with 20+ years of work ahead is a plus.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
@GunMonkeyINTL how close are you??

my son just worked in the Greensboro area for about a year and liked it.

cost of living will be reasonable compared to any other place you listed....The rate of pay will probably move with it, though.....that area is ABSOLUTELY growing...just like Charlotte.

WTF in their right mind would move to Seattle?

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s a beautiful area. You‘re close to blue ridge, close to the smokies, couple hours from the beach and it’s pretty damn affordable. I,live a couple hours west and bought a 3k sq ft home on an acre in a beautiful small town and paid $205k.

Southern life is good if you can slow down a little and appreciate the good people, the good food, the good weather, and a wonderful simple lifestyle

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Wake Forest was on my short list for colleges. I loved the area back in olden times ('80s). I have only driven through, lately. I bet it is still great.

New Bern (waterfront community, access to the Atlantic) is 218 miles east. Raleigh is about halfway between the two points. Mountains are not too far away. Plenty of lakes and streams. You'd be maybe an hour from the Blue Ridge Parkway (perhaps the prettiest drive in the East) which is crisscrossed by scores of trout streams.

judson

Reaction score
Have friend move to Raleigh about 20 years ago, been there a few times and it seem like a great place, last time i spoke with him he said alot of the new people are moving into Cary which is west of Raleigh and not far from Greensboro I think.

I always liked the people there as they just seemed vey nice friendly type which may be due to them living away from larger cities, dont really know....weather wise they get some ice storms as opposed to snow but its mild from what i remember every time visting

and the beaches you can drive to and as you mentioned heading back to OH or VA is drivable as well.... something to consider....maybe rent something for the first year and do exploring on your own to see what works...good luck to you!

MSB

Reaction score
i'm in RDU. I like it, lots of jobs, close to the ocean, close to the mountains, lots of colleges. If you can't find something to like about the area, you're doing it wrong, IMO

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Both areas are nice with the nod going to Winston Salem IMHO

toymaker

Reaction score
So it looks like we are going to give it a serious look.

Seems to be a lot to like about the area...people wise. Traffic is a concern (growing and roads aren’t keeping up) - but we have that here too.

Ideally - lakefront or near a lake and an acre or 2. I don’t want something huge to upkeep...but being able to add a garage/shop would be a plus - and having ability to use my boat.

Going to tell them I’m interested next week....from there see what HR oks to offer. Got the feeling the manager down there loves the idea of an already trained employee...so that’s why they reached out to me. Solid team of experienced people and big territory - experience is a valuable commodity to them.

Of course HR may very well say no moving cost/bonus...which makes it a tougher choice. Relocation packages aren’t cheap I get...but owing so little on our house -they won’t have to eat any negative equity. Just movers and a week of vacation.

Talking to realtors now - giving them ideas on what we want. Might even look at just buying a lot and building/doing a modular on it.

Beaver Creek

Reaction score
Have your realtor see what is around the Belews Lake area. It is between Greensboro and Winston-Salem, and pretty close to Kernersville for nearby shopping, etc.

I live in Madison.

Lee

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
I visited Raleigh a few years ago, and was blown away by the beauty. A very nice place that I'd never considered.

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
I remember you posting this image when I was posting about that trip.

:rofl:

Reactions: MSB

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
@GunMonkeyINTL how close are you??

my son just worked in the Greensboro area for about a year and liked it.

cost of living will be reasonable compared to any other place you listed....The rate of pay will probably move with it, though.....that area is ABSOLUTELY growing...just like Charlotte.

WTF in their right mind would move to Seattle?
@toymaker , I live about 30-45 minutes north of GSO and WS, pretty close to where @Beaver Creek is. I moved here 15 years ago for work, and am now here to stay.

It really is a pretty diverse area, as far as housing and scenery goes. In the nicer neighborhoods of either city, $200-250k should get you a decent 3-4 BR house. There are some outlying suburbs that $300k would get you a reasonable McMansion on a cul de sac, if that’s what you’re into. There’s a couple where it’d only get you a starter McMansion within sniffing distance of the truly beautiful people.

$300k-ish got me 50 wooded acres with 2,000 finished sq ft, and another 2,000 unfinished- recent construction, an epically great well (best water I’ve ever tasted, and plenty of it- I seriously pine for my home-water when I travel) and a couple barns. That would come with about a 30-60 min commute, if I worked in either city.

It’s about like any other inland region, in that way. You have to figure out exactly what you want, and then let that inform where you look.

Traffic in either city isn’t bad. Even rush-hours, the main highways flow pretty close to speed limit; surface streets are dependent. The music and art scene is pretty decent, especially since there are several colleges around, and the whole region is bathed in bluegrass. GSO draws plenty of big concerts, but Charlotte is only about an hour away. Outdoor recreation is primarily centered around hiking, kayaking and hunting/fishing.

It’s about the last stop south where you still get four actual seasons. Every winter, we get a half-dozen or so snow events, with 1-2 being 8+ inches.

Are you looking for city, suburbs, or rural living?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Of course HR may very well say no moving cost/bonus...which makes it a tougher choice. Relocation packages aren’t cheap I get...but owing so little on our house -they won’t have to eat any negative equity. Just movers and a week of vacation.
You're worth a relocation package. Push, push, push (without going to far) to get what you need and deserve. When I go see Junior in SC, I can stop by and give you a day or two of free labor, carpentry or what have you.

toymaker

Reaction score
View attachment 489561

breathtaking. LOL. At the time, I lived about 3 miles from this, could see the smoke, talk about a crapshow
Was in Central GA the year they had a big snow storm. Down there for new job/training - wound up staying over 4 months extra helping sort out the mess caused by 2 inches of snow.

Granted there was also freezing rain - but Jesus- some of those people never drove on snow in their lives im guessing.

Reactions: MSB

toymaker

Reaction score
Sub urban ideally.

No mcmansion for me - 1500 sqft is about all we can manage.

I like the fact Charlotte isn't too far if we want to do the city thing...but far enough away.

Talking to mortgage/realtor tomorrow - getting a feel for locations.

MSB

Reaction score
but Jesus- some of those people never drove on snow in their lives im guessing.

well, when you see how they drive on sunny days, its not surprising what happens during snowmageddon.

toymaker

Reaction score
I don’t know...I’m actually excited about the possible move. Seems weird, but at the same time getting away from Ohio and the shit show my days have became is something to look forward to I guess.

In May we lost our oldest dog..sad, but I had made my peace with that given her age/health. Then 2 weeks ago - we lost our 2nd. Completely unexpected, just getting ready for work, heard a horrible cry from her and my wife ran back - just to have her pass away in her arms. Guessing heart attack or stroke...she was 13 and acted like a puppy. Really hit my wife as that was “her” dog...the oldest was mine...but the 2nd was all hers.

Just a few days after that - got the call my mom fell, and wasn’t doing good. After a year of rehab from back surgery - she was finally able to go home. Lasted 3 weeks. Wound up with multiple vertebrae fractures and another emergency spinal fusion. She’s in rehab home now - but has a bad infection that’s absolutely got her out of her mind. Yelling/hitting staff, talking to people who have been dead 40 years and refusing to eat. To make it worse - my sister who is supposed to help is simply missing. She refuses to answer calls from Dr’s and does nothing.

Just too much for me to take on daily and thinking some distance might help keep it out of my hair daily. I mean - I want to help as much as I can, but there are limits. I can’t be care giver and I am sick of seeing my sister continue to only show up when she needs $$. Mom kept denying for the longest time she was giving anything to my sister...but last straw was when I found out my sister accessed funds provided for my mother to pay in house aide when she returned home.

NC is distance - but not so much that I can’t drive “home” in 5 hours. Plus being able to access the ocean in 3, metro Charlotte in 90 minutes and being in the country again are all positives. My first choices were Central Ga or Tennessee - reality is this isn’t too far of a lifestyle change from those.

Just hoping all goes smoothly and they are reasonable in what they give for work.

Latest Threads