Anyone ever played the ESP USA Eclipse? (full thickness)

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I found a good deal on an ESP USA Eclipse full thickness (60mm body), so I wonder if anyone had the chance to play one. My other option is a Gibson Les Paul Modern, which is a few hundred bucks less, but I would eventually pay someone to refret it to get stainless steel frets (in my area is like $500+ tax).

I can't just go to the music store and play one because the closest one is like 2000 miles away and is crazy expensive.

The specs are as follows
  1. Ebony fretboard, bound
  2. mahogany body, full thickness (60mm)
  3. plain maple top w/ satin finish and binding
  4. mahogany neck
  5. seymour duncan pickups
I've had an ESP Eclipse before, but that one had a paper thin body. While I loved the neck and fretboard, I didn't like the body feel all that much...

So, any thoughts on this ESP USA vs the Gibson LP Modern?

Last edited:

Greco

Reaction score
I found a good deal on an ESP USA Eclipse full thickness (60mm body), so I wonder if anyone had the chance to play one. My other option is a Gibson Les Paul Modern, which is a few hundred bucks less, but I would eventually pay someone to refret it to get stainless steel frets (in my area is like $500+ tax).

I can't just go to the music store and play one because the closest one is like 2000 miles away and is crazy expensive.

The specs are as follows
  1. Ebony fretboard, bound
  2. mahogany body, full thickness (60mm)
  3. plain maple top w/ satin finish and binding
  4. mahogany neck
  5. seymour duncan pickups
I've had an ESP Eclipse before, but that one had a paper thin body. While I loved the neck and fretboard, I didn't like the body feel all that much...

So, any thoughts on this ESP USA vs the Gibson LP Modern?
Personally, I’m not a fan of ESP. I don’t know what genre you will be playing, but in my experience ESP is more for metal then for others. So the pickups will probably be hotter. If you don’t like hot pickups, you will probably change them. The Gibson modern is nice I guess but I’m not a fan of coil splitting on a LP. If you are looking for a good LP for a decent price, I’m going to suggest something like a Gibson traditional or if you have the cash, just grab a PRS SC. I heard those a great all around. Yet again these are just my opinions.

Greco

Reaction score
Well, ESP does make the Edwards and Navigator lines as well and I don't think anyone would label them all as metal guitars :)
True but I’m saying ESP itself, not those brands. Like I said it was just my opinion. Please don’t feel discouraged if you really like the guitar. Find your own path

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Personally, I’m not a fan of ESP. I don’t know what genre you will be playing, but in my experience ESP is more for metal then for others. So the pickups will probably be hotter. If you don’t like hot pickups, you will probably change them. The Gibson modern is nice I guess but I’m not a fan of coil splitting on a LP. If you are looking for a good LP for a decent price, I’m going to suggest something like a Gibson traditional or if you have the cash, just grab a PRS SC. I heard those a great all around. Yet again these are just my opinions.

Thanks. I can choose the Alnico Pro pickups, which are fairly vintage output.

PRS singlecut isn't an option for me as I'm lefty and I've never seen one for sale.

What I'm really looking for is ebony fretboard in an american/japanese made singlecut, preferably with stainless frets.

Roxy13

Reaction score
OP, consider ordering one from one of the big box stores that takes returns for 30-45 days. YT vids and other's opinions are one thing, but only you are going to know if it's the guitar for you when you play it yourself.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
OP, consider ordering one from one of the big box stores that takes returns for 30-45 days. YT vids and other's opinions are one thing, but only you are going to know if it's the guitar for you when you play it yourself.

Good point, but the ESP USA is a one-way door for me because it would have to be made to order on left-handed.
The other option would be test out the Gibson I can't find any big box retailers that have one in lefty - only those small shops. I might call and see what their return rate policy is.

Greco

Reaction score
Good point, but the ESP USA is a one-way door for me because it would have to be made to order on left-handed.
The other option would be test out the Gibson I can't find any big box retailers that have one in lefty - only those small shops. I might call and see what their return rate policy is.
The struggle of us lefty players...

Moni

Banned
Reaction score

I’ve had three ESP guitars, play metal and didn’t fall in-love with them. I didn’t like the fretboard, the frets etc. Didn’t have that “feel”.

Latest Threads