Anyone ever attempted, or heard of, a 61-65 SG Junior to Standard conversion?

VonPrikler

Reaction score
Hope people don't mind that I posted this in the Luthier section. Actually think it is most appropriate to post here, anyway... plus, if I post it in the Vintage SG section or the Other Gibsons section, let's face it, this thread will most likely die and be buried with zero responses.

Googling this subject has turned up surprisingly few results around the web.

We are all very accustomed to seeing things like '52/53 to '59 LP conversions, but I don't think I have ever seen a proper, full-blown early '60s ('61-65) SG Junior to SG Standard conversion.

Seems like it could be somewhat feasible, apart from certain details that would obviously take some finesse.

Obviously, the thing that separates 60s SG Juniors from 50s LP Juniors is: the SG Junior is literally the same base guitar body and neck as the SG Standard, with the differences we all know about (headstock logo, inlays, binding, routes, hardware, electronics, etc).

I bet, with a little work and skill, you could probably take a beater/project /player grade/ '61-65 SG Junior and make a reasonably good '61-65 SG Standard conversion...

Or am I just completely insane?

Tugboat

Reaction score
I say if you want an SG standard, get an SG standard you like. Don't butcher a killer vintage guitar.

VonPrikler

Reaction score
I'm talking about a 61-65 SG Junior that has already been violated. Routed, refinished, etc, but otherwise salvageable.

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, done right you would have an early 60's Les Paul SG....an iconic guitar, especially for Duane Allman fans.
And I can't see a quality job being any form of butchering....at all. Even on a decent one.

Did the juniors come with p90's?

Pete M

Reaction score
It might work if you replaced the fretboard for one with binding and inlays, then painted it a solid colour like Pelham blue or black to hide all the holes you're going to have to fill. If you wanted to paint it cherry it is going to be a bit of a mess to look at.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It might work if you replaced the fretboard for one with binding and inlays, then painted it a solid colour like Pelham blue or black to hide all the holes you're going to have to fill. If you wanted to paint it cherry it is going to be a bit of a mess to look at.

...or gold! I've got a project of my own in the works (well, actually on the back burner), which I'm hoping to do like this SG/LP done by Dave Johnson for Charlie Daughtry:

Gold%20SG%20022-XL.jpg

Gold%20Les%20Paul-SG%20004-XL.jpg

Frank

Pete M

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one! Gold SG's are awesome! :thumb:

VonPrikler

Reaction score
I've got an opportunity to buy a '65 SG Junior "husk" for $500 (no parts included). Has been routed for a neck pickup, but otherwise stock, original finish, and no breaks or other issues. I'm really thinking about it.

Pete M

Reaction score
Unless it is being offered to you by the crown prince of Nigeria via email then I would jump at that! ....and restore it. $500 sounds like an insanely good deal.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

VonPrikler

Reaction score
Cool! I think I will grab it. Will hopefully post some photos in the next week or two.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I would grab it and do the desired conversion, except for the neck binding. I personally dislike neck binding for several reasons:
A-If the finger board has that width that makes me stretch my short stubby fingers around it, I want the full width of it as playing surface!
B-Even though when re-fretting the nibs can be removed and the frets extended to the edge of the binding, they are not fully supported/secured to that edge.
C-The dry desert climate here in Las Vegas (5% or less) regularly causes "fret sprouting" which in turn often causes the binding to become cracked loose from the fingerboard. What a mess!

I even once had a 68-ish SG Special that had been poorly routed for HB's and when I had it re-fretted the Luthier replaced the plastic binding with maple so that the frets could be properly extended to the edge of the board. This was a wonderful upgrade, IMHO, too bad that guitar got stolen!:(

JMHO,
Gene

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
Back in the late 70s, one of my friends had a 61 Les Paul Junior with one black dog ear P90. It was a red SG shaped Gibson. It said Les Paul Junior on the head stock. When they first came out they were calling SGs Les Pauls.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Until I saw it was a beater I was going to scream "PLEASE GOD NO."

Unlike the 52/59 conversions, where you're aiming to replicate an instrument that costs a house, vintage SGs are relatively affordable and a conversion is unnecessary and wasteful. But if it's a beater? Go for it and post results. SGs are cool.

pfox14

Reaction score
In 1961-62 Gibson made the LP Jr. which had the now familiar SG-shaped body much to Les Paul's dislike. In 1963, Gibson started calling them the SG models (no more LPs made until '68). The '63 SG Jr. had a single P-90 and the one-piece stop-bar tailpiece. Not a great design in my book. However, IMO it makes no sense to take a perfectly good SG Jr. and try a conversion. It will destroy any value it has as a vintage guitar, with no real guarantee that you'll wind up with a better or more valuable guitar.

Mad Scientist

Reaction score
I say if you want an SG standard, get an SG standard you like. Don't butcher a killer vintage guitar.
I understand that it's accepted practice, but I just don't get why someone would want to do a conversion. Because to me it would be like taking a 1953 Chevy and converting it to a 1959 Chevy. Two things happen when you do that:

You destroy a 53 Chevy.
You don't have an authentic 59 Chevy.

LPBR

Reaction score
Because to me it would be like taking a 1953 Chevy and converting it to a 1959 Chevy.
Man, I really would like to see someone even TRYING to do this! Please read the years above as 1949 and 1954 respectively. It will be far more acceptable.

:laugh2:

SG Lou

Reaction score
It can be done, Off the top of my head, change inlays, add neck binding, slightly larger headstock along with MOP Inlays, reshape cavity, and oh, you might as well remove the neck so you can drill the hole to run the neck pickup wiring. You still want to convert a Jr? Buy a Standard Husk and you more than 1/2 way there.

Latest Threads