Anyone else's truss rod cavity look like this?

the_dayman_79

Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum. I'm posting because I found something I hadn't seen before on my 2018 les paul traditional and I wondered if other's had seen something similar.

I bought the guitar brand new from an authorized dealer in the spring of 2019.and had no functional issues with it. However, I went to adjust the truss rod recently and noticed that there was an odd line in the bottom surface of the truss rod cavity that made kind of an arc around the truss rod nut (picture below). I wanted to know if it was superficial or went deeper into the wood, so I carefully sanded part of the black lacquer off to see what was below. To my surprise, there is actually a second piece of wood in the truss rod cavity (second picture). I am confused, because I have never seen this before. It looks sort of like part of channel that the truss rod sits in, but on my Gibson SG (and on other Gibsons, from what I remember) it looks like there is just one single piece of mahogany that makes up the neck and headstock.

Can anybody shed light on this?
before.jpg

after.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

the_dayman_79

Reaction score
I think it might just be chatter from the spotfacer bit used to route it.
Really? Maybe it's hard to see in the pic but it looks like a separate piece of wood to me, with the interfactebetween the two pieces being that crescent shaped line. It's lighter in color, grain is different, and it's harder. Looks like maple to me.

Roxy13

Reaction score
It does look different but I don't know how that could be. Gibsons don't use scarfed headstocks. So that's the only thing I can think of for why it appears that way.

the_dayman_79

Reaction score
It does look different but I don't know how that could be. Gibsons don't use scarfed headstocks. So that's the only thing I can think of for why it appears that way.
Yeah that's what's puzzling to me. The only other thing I could think of is it was some sort of repair done at the factory. But there isn't any other evidence of cracks or refinishing.

Roxy13

Reaction score
To me it looks like it was a rough cut at first and then became smoother. Operator error? Possibly even stopped and restarted (and possibly even changed the bit for a new one?).

ARandall

Reaction score
Maybe what happened was that at the time of setup (or sometime in production after the regular access crescent had been made) they realised that the tool didn't have enough clearance to be able to turn the rod, so the second cut was made.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is fine.

I hope you never try to sell it, because of your sanding and digging around, most won't touch it now for fear of a TR issue.

Latest Threads