Anyone else tired of urban/city life?

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Suburban life has somehow managed to be the worst of both worlds. Not as convenient as a city, not as peaceful as the country.

100% my world.

Everyday involves avoiding some kind of auto accident.

My town was a very small southern town 30 years ago, unfortunately the county has been the highest growth rate county 30 years consecutively.

Now, seemingly no one here is from here.

I've spent the last two years on Google Street View searching for a small town convenient to a larger city. (Like Nashville)

Tiresome...

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I would miss the restaurant and gym options that big cities have. But beyond that, a few close friends within driving distance and a good internet connection is about all I need socially.

Health care is an issue though. If you live in a big city, you can have a heart attack and be in a cath lab within 4 hours having a stent and dramatically lowering the damage. In the country, you will not have that. Similar idea for strokes and rapid intervention. The saying is "Time is brain". So you could buy an apartment near a major hospital as an investment and live there once you are 80+ or your health is tanking. Or just have the attitude that extending your life with modern medicine is not worth the annoyances of living in a big city.

The thing I worry about the most is how we are replicating like cockroaches. I think about all the nice places that have been destroyed by encroaching cities and new buildings. There are many forests and camping locations I went to as a child that are just gone now. Who is to say that nice country town you find wont be population 2 million by the time you are old? People talk about climate change, I worry more about the population problem.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
100% my world.

Everyday involves avoiding some kind of auto accident.

My town was a very small southern town 30 years ago, unfortunately the county has been the highest growth rate county 30 years consecutively.

Now, seemingly no one here is from here.

I've spent the last two years on Google Street View searching for a small town convenient to a larger city. (Like Nashville)

Tiresome...

I don't believe there is such a thing anymore. You really can't get both. Kind of like how you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

James Carney

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I grew up in the suburbs and all my friends I grew up with are 36 and still live in the same town they went to elementary school and high school in, and seem trapped and scared to leave. It depresses me they have become townies and act like there is no world outside that 5/10 mile radius.

I've lived in the city 13 years and love it. There's always something to do and somewhere to go and employment aplenty. The only thing that sucks is my 600sq ft loft could get me a 3br house for the same price outside the city. Location location location.

I do miss the facade of suburban bliss, though. I'll likely move back someday.

OccultBurbs.jpg

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't believe there is such a thing anymore. You really can't get both. Kind of like how you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

I did find one place I REALLY liked...but there's a problem. You can get too small, and everybody in town will know your business. On my third visit to one town I had strangers that came up to me that KNEW who I was. A little unsettling. LOL!

A friend of mine who has excellent observational skills said, "If you moved to that town it would be the biggest thing to happen to that town in the last 20 years"...that is unsettling. :laugh2:

DLChance

Reaction score

Try Columbia, TN. About 40 to 45 minutes south of Nashville.

It's becoming a kind of colony for active professional and retired professional musicians, and there are several small clubs that feature some of the best country musicians in the business. I have a good friend who lived in, and worked out of Nashville until he got tired of the big city aspects we've been discussing on this thread. Then he moved to Franklin before happily settling in Columbia because Franklin was also getting too big. He's on the road as much as 6 months out of the year, but he really likes coming home to Columbia.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Col...a=X&ei=xGtEVd_TJoHZggSnhIGgCA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I work and go to university in Denver, a large urban place. Even though I live in the suburbs (in what's supposed to be a great outdoors town), the suburban life and city life is starting to annoy me, which is odd, because for years I lusted after a nice city apt right downtown. I went to one of the dog parks with one of my dogs today and the scenery and non-paved trails just made me so excited and miss nature. The grad schools I've been looking at are all in large cities like Chicago (UIC), Atlanta (GIT), and Boston (MIT). Now I want to live and work and do professional school in a much smaller, outdoors place.

Do any of you that live in large, dense, urban areas feel this way at times? Enough that it wanted to make you move?

I've been fantasizing of a small European-like country side town, with a small, unique house (every suburb here looks the same), with a lake, farms, a canyon possibly, and of course, mountains. But still within an hour of a large city for when I urge for city life again. I'm dreaming of European style country opposed to American country, if that makes sense. I'm already planning a short, few day trip to Wyoming after finals.

How do you guys feel about city vs country life?

I lived in cities for all my adult life, until August of 2012. I now live about 30 miles outside Austin, TX. The nearest little store is five miles away. I've come home to deer, rabbits, jackalopes, coyotes, and, once, a bald eagle on the property. I sit on my porch playing my acoustic, and the birds jam along with me. I leave my truck unlocked at night.

I will never live in a big city again.

The road driving home ... bluebonnet season last month:

k30m6x.jpg

Now it's oxeye-daisy season:

28vejhu.jpg

... and sunset from my porch:

2vxknrd.jpg

Sublime.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Rode by the lake yesterday on my bike. :)
what do you ride? I have a 1600 Yamaha road star.. only had it out twice so far this year.. dropped it last year and my shoulder is still screwed up. was actually setting still.. coming out of a driveway.. put my foot down to stop and look for traffic and there was no ground... side of the drive sloped off real sharp.....anyway.. maybe we will meet up someday.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you ride? I have a 1600 Yamaha road star.. only had it out twice so far this year.. dropped it last year and my shoulder is still screwed up. was actually setting still.. coming out of a driveway.. put my foot down to stop and look for traffic and there was no ground... side of the drive sloped off real sharp.....anyway.. maybe we will meet up someday.
'03 Deuce CVO Screamin' Eagle. Maybe we can have a MLP Ohio ride :)
I had a Honda VTX 1300Retro that some old dude thought would look better smashed up, so he ran me off the road. That was 3 years ago and still hurts.
I also have a '93 CBR1000 Hurricane that is for sale soon...maybe. :)

'07 Honda VTX1300

'93 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

'03 HD Deuce CVO Screamin' Eagle -just got this last year.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Try Columbia, TN. About 40 to 45 minutes south of Nashville.

I've been to Columbia Tennessee a couple of times. It's fairly high on my short list. Probably my biggest concern is it is starting to get urban sprawl as Spring Hill north of it expands.

Columbia would be an easy transition since I'm from The Burbs of Columbia South Carolina. I can still tell people I'm from Columbia. LOL!

Thanks for the input, it's VERY much appreciated. :thumb:

DRF

Reaction score
Another problem about small towns or rural living besides the driving (sometimes on grid roads so if you're into nice cars it makes it less enticing) is, the lack of nice looking under 50 single women, usually if they are single it's because they are widowed, over 50 and an axe handle wide. Not that I'm a poon hound or can pull it in but damn, having some scenery besides grass and trees goes a long way too.

journeymb

Reaction score
I'm not sure about gated, better city planning and some sort/degree of regulations could probably achieve the same thing, but I get what you're saying.

I think there's a lot of room for improvement in how our cities and neighborhoods are structured. I'd love to see more walkable cities, with shops, restaurants, parks and other recreation. All with the integration of metro lines and light rails when needed. That's one of the aspects I really love about DC. There's a lot to do and a vibrant atmosphere and once you're there you can get around very easily on foot and with the metro. Boston seemed the same for the few days I was there. Of course, living in either of those cities (even near them) is pretty expensive.

For neighborhoods, I've wondered what it would be like if they were more structured around a decent town center or park or some combination like that, instead of a bunch of subdivisions kind of all running into each other.

Yes what I always thought about DC, Boston, and other east coast cities was that they were first settled by the Europeans (British colonizers), before automobiles, and planned the city that way, with a European, walkable, mindset instead of auto-oriented.

I totally agree with your second paragraph too. A town center, with decent living spaces, its own "downtown" with shops, and light or commuter rail to connect with other suburbs and the big city. The suburb should have a streetcar system within in the suburb, a commuter or light rail (depending on the distance and stops) to connect to the other suburbs and the big city. I'm all for walkable.

journeymb

Reaction score
The quiet of the country is quite attractive, but two disadvantages that come to mind would be the extra gas milage of driving into town and city services, like emergency medical attention or fire, etc...

Quite true. My parents have a second home in a very small town, and it doesn't even have its own police/fire/emt. It relies on that from the slightly bigger town 25-30 minutes away. Luckily the small town with the second house is a safe town

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Man, I drove myself insane living in the middle of nowhere. I popped in to visit today. My friends ate still in the same routine, never leave the house.

I love South Florida, but the cape sucks. I vote city. There's a lot to do and between flying and diving I have plenty of nature.

journeymb

Reaction score
So jealous of some of the places in your pictures and descriptions! One of my favorite small town, yet close to city, places I've stayed at was in Maryland, 30 or so minutes from DC. A few years ago, my family and I rented a house (I'm blanking on the suburb). It had a farm, a trail through some wooded areas, and it was a one-of-a-kind house, with a loft, and just a "American" feel and charm to it! It was so relaxing and nice being surrounded by nature and animals, yet easily accessible (traffic though) to the city. The humidity didn't even bother me much (lived at 5-7000' elevations since I was 11). It is a dream to have a place like that.

skysc

Reaction score
The only thing that keep me in the city is my job .

Most of the jobs and big corporations are in the cities ... you can go to suburb but traffic to come to work is horrible .

do you wanna lose 1 hour driving in the morning and another in the evening everyday .

i live in the city so i can save and take the bus/subwaywithout any stress and gas/car expense .

but if it wasnt for my job , id probably go to the suburb .

im in Montréal .

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
Got to admit I love the hustle and bustle of the big city. I get bored in the country. I've spent time in London, New York and Rome in the past 12 months. Loved every second of it. When we travel to another country, we do like to take a train or bus through the countryside and visit historic sites. But, we like to spend our evenings in places like Times Square, Soho and Trastavere.

Latest Threads