Anyone else tired of urban/city life?

journeymb

Reaction score
I work and go to university in Denver, a large urban place. Even though I live in the suburbs (in what's supposed to be a great outdoors town), the suburban life and city life is starting to annoy me, which is odd, because for years I lusted after a nice city apt right downtown. I went to one of the dog parks with one of my dogs today and the scenery and non-paved trails just made me so excited and miss nature. The grad schools I've been looking at are all in large cities like Chicago (UIC), Atlanta (GIT), and Boston (MIT). Now I want to live and work and do professional school in a much smaller, outdoors place.

Do any of you that live in large, dense, urban areas feel this way at times? Enough that it wanted to make you move?

I've been fantasizing of a small European-like country side town, with a small, unique house (every suburb here looks the same), with a lake, farms, a canyon possibly, and of course, mountains. But still within an hour of a large city for when I urge for city life again. I'm dreaming of European style country opposed to American country, if that makes sense. I'm already planning a short, few day trip to Wyoming after finals.

How do you guys feel about city vs country life?

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yes, I moved.

the city is not for me.

One thing I learned is that city people have a certain mindset that I don't have.

(not to be political but it's a lot like Dem VS Rep)...cities are Dem,...country is Rep,...it's a different attitude.

especially when it comes to self sufficiency.

Spent 10 straight years in the city with no breaks and if I never step foot in one again I'm cool with that. :)

nauc

Reaction score
move to Santa Cruz. up in the hills, coast, neat houses, not full of dumbazzes, yet your still in the states. not far from Hawaii, Yosemite, Vegas etc

cool place

hecube

Reaction score
If I never see another human being, it will be too soon.

Reaction score
grew up in city. have always loved it. still young but the older i get the more i like the idea of moving somewhere in the woods with maybe a creek near by. maybe when my gigging days are far behind me....

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
City, Urban, Rural ... it don't matter. Well, I better not be more than 10 minutes from a Walmart .. there's stuffs I need.

What matters is temperature, golf, and beaches. I want it warm, sandy beaches, and lots of golf. Bicycle and jogging trails would be great too.

Oh, and high-speed internet is a must ... but that is a given .. or better be.

:dude:

Nick-O

Reaction score
I feel the same about the city, but you need to put your education first. Getting into MIT or the like, then once you get your self sorted you can move where your lead.

I think it is normal to get tired of the city though. Unnatural.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Unnatural,.....yeah that feels about right.

..and that'll drive you crazy after awhile.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgtHflRV0cc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgtHflRV0cc[/ame]

--R

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The closest I got to city living was living on various Army bases....I couldnt wait to get back to the country. Out here I feel connected,whereas,in that closed up/traffic/noise/people setting,well,like Nick-O said,its unnatural and I did not feel connected at all. Theres nothing (to me,at least)like waking up and hearing my rooster crow,the cows out in the pasture in front of me mooing and the varied sounds of nature outback.....

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
just ask yourself when you go for a walk would you rather see...

15oas9l.jpg

or...

29qaxj7.jpg

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area in Canada) to a corn field in Mid-west Ohio.
I have several cows on surrounding properties that know me by sight and come to see me. I have a creek running through my yard with deer and and other critters everywhere. Great people and a great slower lifestyle.

Aside form the odd crackhead coming up from Dayton, it's very peaceful here and I wouldn't want it any other way. :)

PapaSquash

Reaction score
I'm a city boy, but I'm currently liking suburban life. I'm home in 15 minutes from my office downtown, and this is the view out my front door:

10734223_778576902188100_6930440817591375758_n.jpg

Deer and hawks and beaver and geese and wood ducks (There's a small lake just beyond those trees.)
It's too damn cold in the winter but he Twin Cities has some things going for it. When I lived in New York it took hours to get out of the city.

That need for nature is one reason it will always be damn hard to get people out of cars and into mass transit. You can't usually take a train to the middle of nowhere.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hate cities. No privacy, everything is expensive, and there's always too much crime. I prefer my personal space and room to breathe.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
...and you can't walk down a city street with a Bowie knife strapped to your side. :laugh2:

Criminals have all the rights there. :facepalm: ..if you're law abiding you're at a disadvantage.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
If you consider Washington, DC, Boston, NYC, London, Florence and/or Buenos Aires to be urban, then, yes, yes I have. These days, I have deer, coyotes, turkeys, geese and foxes in my yard. Come to think of it, there aren't quite enough foxes around here for my liking. I can also fly fish in my front yard.

While MIT is an urban campus, it is a really manageable amount of urban-ness. It is right on the banks of the Charles River and there has been lots of neighborhood improvement going on for decades.

Latest Threads