Anyone else missing the Les Paul DC models in the Original Collection?

Reaction score
Especially the Junior, I love that one.

The Tribute model doesn't count, as it's front-loaded with the controls installed on the pickguard.
I'm talking about the original design with that beautiful pickguard in Cherry or TV Yellow.
I mean, they already have the body in the production line...

Even Harley Benton has a version of this guitar.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
If every reissue model was included in the Original Collection, then there would be no need for the Custom Shop.

I have a ‘58 Reissue LP Junior DC that I picked up second hand a few years ago, which is my favorite LP that I’ve ever had.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If every reissue model was included in the Original Collection, then there would be no need for the Custom Shop.

I have a ‘58 Reissue LP Junior DC that I picked up second hand a few years ago, which is my favorite LP that I’ve ever had.

Looks great.

Somewhat disagree. Having a historically accurate version in the CS does not make it pointless to have a budget version of it in regular production, or vice versa. Especially for the JRs that were budget instruments in the first place.

If that was true, why are they making three versions of the SG (sideways, maestro and stopbar) for example?

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Looks great.

Somewhat disagree. Having a historically accurate version in the CS does not make it pointless to have a budget version of it in regular production, or vice versa. Especially for the JRs that were budget instruments in the first place.

If that was true, why are they making three versions of the SG (sideways, maestro and stopbar) for example?
Thanks.

If the Junior were a budget instrument to begin with, then how do you propose that they make it even more budget? Skip the grain filler? Can't do a proper TV Yellow without grain filler.

I would like to see the LP Junior and Special DC to be included in the Original Collection just as much as anyone else. Maybe they will add them in the near future.

Last edited:

Dilver

Reaction score
How hard can it be to make one more cutaway route on a junior? I think Gibson realizes that if they made a proper double cutaway Junior no one would ever buy the Tribute ever again. The pickguard on the Tribute is heinous.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt that the Junior and Special Tribute DCs are permanent. An Original Collection version of them would be priced similar to the SCs, so they'd have more profit without any real increase in cost. However, Gibson marketing doesn't often use input from outside, I think.

Reaction score
Thanks.

If the Junior were a budget instrument to begin with, then how do you propose that they make it even more budget? Skip the grain filler? Can't do a proper TV Yellow without grain filler.

I would like to see the LP Junior and Special DC to be included in the Original Collection just as much as anyone else. Maybe they will add them in the near future.
I never said that I want it "even more budget". I'm just arguing against the idea that there can't be a DC model at the moderate $1400s range (give or take) because there is the the 3k+ CS version. At this point we don't even have an Epiphone offering for that matter.

It's Harley Benton copy > big gap > CS RIs > Vintage originals.

Sure, there are a few used examples from that odd year Gibson made them, but good luck trying to find one for sale.

How hard can it be to make one more cutaway route on a junior? I think Gibson realizes that if they made a proper double cutaway Junior no one would ever buy the Tribute ever again. The pickguard on the Tribute is heinous.
The body is actually completely different, in particular the neck joint.
But they have made DCs before (hence why I mentioned the Tribute) and then there is that new Rick Beato model now so maybe there is still hope

I doubt that the Junior and Special Tribute DCs are permanent. An Original Collection version of them would be priced similar to the SCs, so they'd have more profit without any real increase in cost. However, Gibson marketing doesn't often use input from outside, I think.
Yeah good point. I actually looked up after posting this and turns out the Tribute is already discontinued apparently

none2low

Reaction score
Been waiting for Gibson do a proper DC Jr for years now (outside of CS) Got tired of waiting and jumped on a Eastman SB55DC/V - I can officially say this cured my desire for the Gibson version, either USA or CS. Now vintage might be a different story, but those have gotten pricey so not holding my breath.

Latest Threads