Anyone Else Just Fine With Only One Les Paul?

The Golden Boy

Reaction score
I need 2 guitars for playing out. One is a Les Paul. I have 2 other guitars that I don’t play as much- one is a LP.

I don’t play guitar out too often- I could get by with one LP these days.

mdortona

Reaction score
Fwiw, I have a 1991 custom. At one point bought a more recent standard and it pretty much sat in the case. Sold it. I have a Strat and a Tele too. Short answer - having only one LP is not a character flaw.

blee57

Reaction score
Well, I contracted the GAS virus (guitar acquisition syndrome) about 13 years ago while playing solo acoustic gigs and started collecting various Gibson Acoustics, J45"s AJ30, Himmingbird,J160E,Southern Jumbo, CF100E,and several more. Then I started on the Les Paul Investment Kick and now have quite the collection! I play them all at one time or another, Not only are they a performance tool they are like an ART collection to me. But I have to admit I have way to many, and now i wonder if I should sell a few for a return on my investment! It is much harder to sell online these days because of the new rules. So, for now I'm stuck with them! Darn...

jskline

Reaction score
Just curious, I am retired now and did well enough financially to be able to buy any number of new guitars.

However I just don't have any desire. Although my Avatar says TradPro2 I sold that and bought a 2014
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus new back in 14. I replaced the stock burst buckers with Dimarzios and
replaced the stock nut and bridge both with rollers, and that's it or modifications. I am done and I love it.

It plays beautifully and sounds fantastic to me. I honestly feel no reason to own more than this one guitar.
I get why a lot of players like to have many guitars, nothing wrong with having fun with variety.

Anyone else able to buy multiple guitars but really happy with the one they have and going to stay that way?
I can honestly say that I am very happy with the one Les Paul that I have . . . but can say the same thing about the one copy of every other type of guitar that I own (all the major ones, in my view). I try to buy "the one" whether it be an SG, tele, Strat or LP. That's the limiting principal behind my collection. But just one guitar period -- that is a level of contentment that I have yet to attain with any single instrument.

DmacD

Reaction score
Just curious, I am retired now and did well enough financially to be able to buy any number of new guitars.

However I just don't have any desire. Although my Avatar says TradPro2 I sold that and bought a 2014
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus new back in 14. I replaced the stock burst buckers with Dimarzios and
replaced the stock nut and bridge both with rollers, and that's it or modifications. I am done and I love it.

It plays beautifully and sounds fantastic to me. I honestly feel no reason to own more than this one guitar.
I get why a lot of players like to have many guitars, nothing wrong with having fun with variety.

Anyone else able to buy multiple guitars but really happy with the one they have and going to stay that way?
I’m not a professional tax paying player. if I was and could justify I’d probably tinker more with multiple guitars. I do have my bases covered though. 99% of players could easily get by with one. We are hobbyist with exquisite taste in guitars.

PeteH UK

Reaction score
I've had the same '81 Standard since I bought it new, and until recently this was my only electric. I've recently bought a used Squier '19 classic vibe Telecaster Custom, and a beaten up Squier strat as a project. Both play really well, but when I want to enjoy playing rather than meeting about with setups I always gravitate to the LP.

Attachments

• IMG_20220407_222824.jpg
    IMG_20220407_222824.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 6

Tylerlayne

Reaction score
My first Gibson Les Paul was a 2015 Studio. I liked it but I also own 4 Fender Stratocasters, a Telecaster, a PRS CE24 and a schekter. I always dreamed of owning a cherry sunburst Les Paul Standard. I finally found my dream guitar at a Guitar Center. A 2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard cherry burst. Since I bought that guitar it has become my favorite of them all. I have my guitars on a rotation schedule to where they all get played but always look forward when my standard come up. It weighs about 12-13 pounds but I have a special love for that guitar.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have four, so the answer is no for me. In fact, I'd like three more: I want to Framptonize, circa '71 (Humble Pie days) an all mahogany Custom, I want an Alpine white Custom and an Alpine white '63 Custom(SG).

It's likely neve gonna happen, but I can dream can't I?

keys88

Reaction score
By my last count I have 10 electrics and 4 acoustics, but they're all different. I like having variety rather than multiples of the same type of guitar. I have one Les Paul, one Strat, one Jazzmaster, etc. The only exception are my Telecaster-style guitars. I have two, but one is set up in standard Tele config and one has a humbucker in the neck. But that one is a Dean Dellatera so it's kind of its own thing anyway.

80smetalhead

Reaction score
I’ve been playing a Gibson Les Paul since I first saw Ace Frehley perform. I now own 4 of them from a Standard to my ‘68 Historic Les Paul Custom. As far as I’m concerned the Les Paul is the greatest guitar ever invented. And by far the coolest.

I have 20 guitars with 2 more on the way. One guitar is never enough lol
26A9B99E-7959-4F23-BAD6-9BA1C8BAB0D8.jpeg
A8912685-A827-4680-AC01-ED1F39757435.jpeg
6EF868D0-3E24-4622-825A-B4F8E1BB627D.jpeg

Bearston

Reaction score
I'm happy with one. I bought new in '75 a wine red Deluxe, schlepped a p90 into it and it has been absolutely perfect ever since, why play a disappointment as a backup?
BTW my Tele is the perfect backup, although I have at least 25 alternatives, I only ever go out of the house with these 2.

Kamanshaman

Reaction score
I have a new 70th Anniversay 59' Custom Shop Standard. I have a big weakness for a Gold Top so............maybe in future. Recently bought a Custom Shop 64' ES 335 after my son had mentioned wanting one of these, first I balked, then I read and YouTube'd, I was sold.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me answer this question again like this.....

If i lost all my guitars in a house fire (that would require more than one house at the same time) i would go out and buy a guitar,... it would be for a fact an R9 or an R8 whichever i find first.... then that will have to do.....as a one and only..... until i start buying more.

Bryansamui

Reaction score
I have a few for different sounds ,all loaded with different pickups..
My go to is a 1991 std with my Jimmy Page (1973) pickups..
My 2 Custom Shop models, 1 with Burst buckers , the other with Duncan Antiquity PAFs don't do the Jimmy Page thing .

Tilliy

Reaction score
Hmmm well it started with a 2010 gib bb then,86 gib special ,92 gib standard, 75 gib custom, then a 98 gib r7 triple pu custom shop, thats when i became interested in jap guitars so,1998 epi slash snakepit, 84 greco eg800,86 greco 59/60, 92 burny triple pu, 82 greco john sykes mint collection, a burny 82 jsykes, 86 epi jap custom with gib head,200 epi custom a 90s bacchus quilt top, 04 coolz custom, another greco 59/60, and lastly lol a fernandes export burny jap 90s standard... oh and somewhere in between all that an 70s DIA hummingbird acoustic they are all in great shape some mint ....... i need help .... realistically they are my museum and my gift to my kids when i pass on, bought them all at really good deals , like the r7 was 2500 its worth up to 10k here in Australia and the 75 gib custom 2300 so yeah sounds nutty but i just like collecting them they are all an artwork in themselves none are junk and i like messing with them :) still hmmm need to book that shrink ??? :eek:

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have 6 Les Paul's, all a little bit different for neck profiles and pickup combinations. But... I would be fine with just One Les Paul, my latest acquisition. A 2022 Les Paul Classic Gibson Exclusive in Olive Drab. Such a fantastic guitar, that came almost perfectly setup. There were a couple of small issues when the guitar arrived, but Gibson took care of the problem quickly.

lpclassic_stickers.jpg

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Reaction score
One Les Paul, one Tele pretty much covers it. A Strat would complete the set I suppose but I’ve only got so many fingers
If you're going to get a Strat, you may as well get an SG...

Latest Threads