Anyone else have trouble owning/playing a $2k guitar?

ucsteve

Reaction score
I just got an email from Gibson today about welcoming Kirk Hammet to the Gibson family. I’m guessing there will soon be a run of ML “Greeny” replicas.
i listened for about 15 min, about 13 of em were about how great and historic gibson is and how proud he is to be a part of it. But they also mentioned a "Hammet Collection". so not only will you have a "greenie" but his 79 V, and im sure there wil be some sort of bursts or something

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy the Epi's used and let someone else take the "off the lot" depreciation hit. Same strategy works with cars.
With cars, well, it just depends.

When I bought my last car, a new 2006 Hyundai Elantra, I shopped and shopped with my usual sub-clinical OCD fury. What I found is that small, late-model cars were not going for that much less. The off-the-lot + 1-2 year depreciation wasn't as significant for them as it was for, say, a Lexus.

My guess is that people tend to hold on to small cars because they will not get much money from them, and they make great second/third cars.

DrBGood

Reaction score
My guess is that people tend to hold on to small cars because they will not get much money from them, and they make great second/third cars.
People hold on to small cars because they're trying to pospone the purchase of another one.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
People hold on to small cars because they're trying to pospone the purchase of another one.
That is why I still have mine, and it is certainly the reason for lower-income people, but I wonder what the general motivations are in the overall population.

DrBGood

Reaction score
That is why I still have mine, and it is certainly the reason for lower-income people, but I wonder what the general motivations are in the overall population.
I think it has to with what you have a car for.
Some need it to reinforce or give them an image.
Some need a point A to point B car without problems.
Some need performance.
Some want to spend the less possible money on a vehicle.

We have most of these with our small Chevy Spark EV, except for the image thing :facepalm: Only maintenance on it is tires and suspension, that's it. My wife did over 500km with it yesterday and it cost her $10.33 in power. She stopped 5 times for 10 minutes to recharge. Stretching every hour, she said she never got to the destination so relaxed. That thing is like a go-kart on streroids, crazy fun to drive with its 324 lb/ft of torque.

Just to show that you don't have to spend big money to get your fill of fun and performance. Same with guitars.
YMMV

Lester

Reaction score
" Stretching every hour, she said she never got to the destination so relaxed."
Not that I am an advocate of the frequent charging needed for electric cars ( I don't think they are ready for prime-time yet for most of us).

BUT, on the relaxation point: I had to take a 7 hour highway trip not too long ago with a friend. We tried something new: We swapped driving/passenger-ing every hour. When we got to our destination, we felt like we'd just stepped into the car.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
to be fair i have trouble playing any guitar regardless of its cost.

justjazz61

Reaction score
I feel the same way as the op. I only have one electric: an Epiphone Les Paul custom. I am retired and out of the music game, and couldn't justify an expensive instrument. I live a simple life and more equipment would be a distraction and stressful.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I have expensive taste, but I'm also practical. The USA line is as high as I bother going these days and I own a few I love. I personally don't see the added value in the Custom Shop stuff, and all the Epiphones I've owned always left me wanting more.

I'm no prodigy, but life is too damn short to not be playing the guitars you want to be playing.

VergDan

Reaction score
My favorite guitar, though not expensive, plays and sounds like a dream.

I just found a new scratch on it last week.

Now it lies quietly in a case.

marc1kim

Reaction score
I've owned over a dozen Gibsons, I still own two, but my go to guitar is my modified Epi Special. It has mojo. The guitar player in my band asked to borrow it for a gig once and kept asking to borrow it for other gigs. He preferred the tone over the Gibby Alpine white LP Studio he had been using. Play what you love, and play what inspires you regardless of price point.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I had no problem playing my 5k LP Custom, but my $500-$800 Epiphones do the same job just as well, no need for the 5k LP Custom anymore.

Irishwake

Reaction score
any guitar and any make are all different I have a LP Studio that I bought for 700 that will out play my 2k classic, I have had epiphones that outplayed the gibsons they are all made individually and every one is different different neck angle ect

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every guitar you keep must have something appealing to you.

My ears don't hear some frequencies anymore so I buy what looks good and plays well. I'll pay the price. I can augment the sound with my amps.

My acoustic (J-29) and semi hollow (ES-235) were bought used and were both north of $2K CAD when new. I would take either one anywhere.

Latest Threads