Anyone else have trouble owning/playing a $2k guitar?

kysrsoze

Reaction score
You forgot to turn on your caps-lock, Mr. Tonewood. Play whatever you want - cheap, expensive, whatever makes you happy. Just don’t act like a petulant fool. No one cares how much money you anonymously say you have on a forum, or wants to hear your insinuation that people are poor because they disagree with you. You certainly have an axtogrind, or maybe a chip on your shoulder… or inferiority complex? Whatever it is, it’s embarrassing. You should have better things to do than rage at people on an Epiphone sub-forum… like play your $5,000 guitar.

DrBGood

Reaction score
nice how those finishes look together. How did you get the fade on the cat to come out like that?
You mean the red in her fur ? It's like that.

I always choose my cats to match my environment :) You might have to look hard to find them in below photos, they are perfectly camouflaged. Both pictures taken a few minutes apart.

150514 Éloize camo-.jpg

150514 Flavie camo-.jpg

bikerdude2

Reaction score
Not at all. At 52, and a gigging musician, I find a nice guitar inspires me.

orrb_05

Reaction score
The first equation to a good sounding string instrument is the wood. Old growth (stable) tone wood. Next is craftsmanship , next if electric is electronics. Once you identify an instrument with these qualities and the sound and playability demonstrate this, how much are you willing to pay? Or can you even find this instrument? I know for sale right now 2 Gibsons for sale each $2700, one is good to keep a door open and the other is amazing. You have to know what to look for. Many luthiers do, many don’t , just good at gluing and painting. Please and a million pleases don’t tell me a $300 paper pulp glue epiphone sounds just as good as $5500 R9 from the custom shop. That is what is called the dead cat syndrome. You have a dead cat but it’s the best cat because it’s your cat, but it’s a dead cat, yea but it’s the best, but it’s a dead cat , it’s dead, no matter what you do to it, it’s still a dead cat.
I have some tone wood for you. It's a solid piece, cut from the shit house door off a tuna boat. Smells something terrible, but man it will ring for days. Easily worth $5500, and I'll part with it -just for you - for a troll's price of $5499 w/free shipping. Let me know...

RuneDanmark

Reaction score
I don't have any trouble with owning or playing an expensive instrument.

But what I have a "trouble" with is people arguing against people with $5.000+ guitars, saying they aren't a reincarnation of a super guitar player, and then don't deserve such an instrument. That is a weird statement.

Do I have to be a full time alcoholic to enjoying an expensive rum or whiskey? Of course not.

Same with the guitars, the only thing that have to justify you own something super expensive is your own personal budget. And then over time (or might already know) you might notice those minor details that give a guitar that pricetag it might have.

But its a never ending battle, people who swear to budget friendly guitars, claiming an Epiphone is the same as a Gibson and only difference is the origin, its people who doesn't even know how to read specifications on a sheet for a start.

And then of course there are the "no compromise" people, who know what they want, and pays what it cost. And why should you compromise with something that potentially last you a life time?

I am one of those who is willing to pay more to get more of what I want. Why should I pay for something I didn't even like to start with? Like headstock, weird logo placements and such. What ever it might be. The way a guitar is built, like bolt-on necks or the set neck with a "step".

And of course the last thing, the thing that you can buy into a relatively rich history in a brand, or you just appreciate the wood selection, craftmanship and exclusivity.

I was out looking for a new ESP EII this year, then i found out they use veneers for their tops, and that didn't fly with me, also the logo on 12th fret, and the EII on the headstock and so on.

I ended up with a ESP Original Series, its 2-3 times more than an EII and that is just how it is, when you want those minor details to be "just right", the exclusivity and a well built guitar with beautiful woods.

msalama

Reaction score
In your delusion Epiphone magically
Hah. So you're not only an idiot, but one that suffers from hallucinations as well, because no-one in their right mind claims that Epis are 100% on a par with higher end Gibbys per se. But the fact still remains that their current lineup consists of well-made guitars that play good, setup good, sound good and even look good, so put THAT in yer rear pipe as a suppository and get well soon!

What a moron...

ucsteve

Reaction score
id stick to the cow relic'ing, this thread shoould have died like 4 pages ago
9080_284453178360492_170687113_n.jpg

but truth be told...if i could afford a 2k gibson. Id have one. But its easier and more fun to buy other guitars every couple months. I dont know if i could go a year or so to save up for one at this point. But who knows, i could find a bag of money someday that fell off a truck and buy one. Or save someone from a burning house and they give me one.

fry

Reaction score
You have Dead cat syndrome. A fender custom shop strat makes your parts caster sound like two cats in a burlap bag fighting with tin cans rolling around.
Spooky issued a clear challenge, and it looks like you chose to respond with a smart ass remark. Put your substantial money where your mouth is, and accept his challenge.

Irishwake

Reaction score
Regarding some comments here about resale value: how much will a new lets say 2020 Gibson LP Standard Goldtop depreciate in the month following purchase ? I've seen one for $2000 on Reverb ($2500 new), is that average ?
I dunno I have an Angus Young Sig SG that went up a grand in value

Irishwake

Reaction score
Ive had one Epi LP in my life and I bought a Gibson and then sold the Epi and I wish I didnt as it played better in my opinion as the same I just bought a new LP Classic (Gibson) it doesnt sound right or feel right and thinking about selling it to get another

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Comparison, Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Black Beauty Custom to my Gibson Custom Figured Top Les Paul Custom Yellow Widow Burst. Almost sounds identical, a nice sweet common gain tone used for a lot of 80's rock.

Epiphone Custom comparison to Gibson Custom

Last edited:

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I've owned guitars up to $7K and ended up selling them all. I've never found one that was just so much better than my lower priced guitars. I'm also not the greatest player around...Right now my Epiphone JB Gold Top is getting all the attention. I am just about ready to pick up a Brent Mason Telecaster for a little over $2K. We'll see how long it lasts.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two guitars that retailed new in Canada at $2200 and $2700. I bought them used for $1450 and $1600. So, I do play guitars that used to be worth over $2K each, but I spent $3050 instead of $4900.

revtime

Reaction score
Cheap guitars, expensive guitars.....all made of wood, plastic, and metal. Made by humans.

The consistency is what gets me. I have played R8s and R9s. Some were holy grail and at least 2 were garbage. Pretty garbage.

PlainAllman

Reaction score
I just got an email from Gibson today about welcoming Kirk Hammet to the Gibson family. I’m guessing there will soon be a run of ML “Greeny” replicas.

Latest Threads