Anyone else have trouble owning/playing a $2k guitar?

PlainAllman

Reaction score
I don’t own any $2000 guitars……yet. I do own a few $1000-1500 guitars. I play what I like and can afford. I’m not careless or reckless with them but I also don’t baby them. I am looking forward to someday being able to talk my wife into a nice LP custom or standard. :fingersx:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I used to feel the same way. I got over it after owning a couple of Gibson’s. But I can totally understand where you are coming from. Rock out what you’re comfortable owning etc…. No right or wrong!

Yamaha R1

Reaction score
Buy the best that you can afford has been my motto with guitars. The higher end guitars seem to hold their value and/or go up in value over the years. I can't say the same for most lower costing guitars. Also, I've found a noticeable difference in fit, finish and craftsmanship in the higher priced guitars which translates to the feel of the guitar in my hands. I gladly pay the premium for a well made guitar that feels like a 20 yr old worked in guitar, however not all premium priced guitars feel that way.

USTTRM

Reaction score
I have no business owning a guitar that costs $2000 or more. I’m just not that good, and I don’t even play in a band. If I was a gigging musician and my guitar was actually earning me money, maybe then, but not now. I just sold a Gibson for that reason, there was just no need for me to have it. I bought two nice Epiphones with the money, and had a few bucks to spare.
This ^.
In my case I am a professional musician and I still sold the Gibson.Didn’t make sense from a recording standpoint.The Epiphone 1959 Limited Edition and the 60s Standard are sonically so similar having same pickups and wiring, it’s frankly minor enough to keep the Epiphone and sell the Lester. Money best spent elsewhere.

Last edited:

axetogrind59

Reaction score
The first equation to a good sounding string instrument is the wood. Old growth (stable) tone wood. Next is craftsmanship , next if electric is electronics. Once you identify an instrument with these qualities and the sound and playability demonstrate this, how much are you willing to pay? Or can you even find this instrument? I know for sale right now 2 Gibsons for sale each $2700, one is good to keep a door open and the other is amazing. You have to know what to look for. Many luthiers do, many don’t , just good at gluing and painting. Please and a million pleases don’t tell me a $300 paper pulp glue epiphone sounds just as good as $5500 R9 from the custom shop. That is what is called the dead cat syndrome. You have a dead cat but it’s the best cat because it’s your cat, but it’s a dead cat, yea but it’s the best, but it’s a dead cat , it’s dead, no matter what you do to it, it’s still a dead cat.

Roger66

Reaction score
I just got rid of my 2019 Gibson Classic in Translucent Red for a 2017 Epi Goldtop! I'm now a happy camper.

Something about having a 2000 dollar guitar that really didn't play as well (for me anyway) as the 17 Goldtop Trad. Pro I picked up in it's place.

I'm no pro. Not even a great player. Only play at home in my old age. I just couldn't justify my Gibson Classic sitting there. I played it regularly, but c'mon...it should be playing itself! I've had this goldtop once before and just got it back...it just says "play me!"

Can't explain it, just had to be done. Got the Epi Goldtop, a Marshall DSL40C, and $700 for the Classic. I feel lighter now...better. Go figure.
I dont like having a guitar UNDER 1500. But I love the ones I do have that are. Looking for an old Les Paul now.

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have nine instruments from China, Indonesia, Japan and Mexico. Prices were $88-1200 CAD

My eight Gibson's are all within $450-1600 CAD.

I don't have a problem toting any of them anywhere, and if I had a Standard or a Custom, I would certainly play it and take it out.

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't buy a $5K guitar, but I can still buy Gibsons instead of Epiphones (ptew!) :laugh2:

PlainAllman

Reaction score
Long rambling boring post follows here. My apologies. About a year and a half ago I was jonesing for a LP in a bad way. I looked into getting a Harley Benton but the one I wanted at the time was back ordered so I put it out of my head for a few days and the urge went away. Then I got all fired up about the Epi standard 50’s and had the go ahead from my wife. I went to a few stores and played a couple as well as some LTD’s for comparison. I was on the verge of ordering one but then I mulled it over a few days and I knew in my heart no matter how good it might feel and sound I just wouldn’t be happy with it. First and foremost I have come to have a serious aversion to anything that is MIC. I also knew it would bug me knowing there was a veneer and I just felt like I owed it to myself to have a real Gibson even if I had to wait. So I ended up putting it off and drooling over pictures and forums for another year. Then a few weeks ago I made it happen. I didn’t get anything fancy and I think it’s actually the cheapest new guitar you can buy that says “Gibson” on it but I absolutely love it. I got a 2021 Les Paul Special Tribute in Ebony. If you play an Epi and it makes you happy thats great. No shame in that game. As far as I was concerned for me though only a Gibson was good enough.

fry

Reaction score
I have to wonder if like, the Tama guys go on Ludwig forums to tell people they wont buy Ludwig...
ill have to look into that
There is no doubt about it. Drummers are as fussy as guitarists. I happen to think that bass players are fussier than all of them.

Steve T 667

Reaction score
There is no doubt about it. Drummers are as fussy as guitarists. I happen to think that bass players are fussier than all of them.
as a drummer, i have yet to even go on a drum forum ha
17353238_10154497211928123_7436683119447277720_n.jpg

Hacksaw

Reaction score
Nope, waited 55 years to get my R-8, you can't take it with you.

msalama

Reaction score
Nope. I love playing my '73 Deluxe and wish I had the money for an original early 70s Tele Custom as well. Because now that I've got the platform shoe thingy sorted, I want to get some Keefish extravaganza too!

Deadsquiggles

Reaction score
I don’t think I’d have a problem playing a $2k guitar if I owned one. That being said, though, I’ll probably never own a $2k guitar because while it would be sweet, my skills (or lack thereof) don’t justify an expensive guitar. Even if I could hear a huge difference in sound that was solely from the guitar, I’ve been happy with the sound I get out of my Epiphone. Heck, for years I was happy with the sounds I got out of a ES-335 and Strat clones running through a 10W Indiana amp.

voided76

Reaction score
My only problem with owning a 2000+ dollar guitar at this point is I'm not a professional and I'd much rather have a fleet of player grade used MIM fenders/Classic Vibe Squires, and shipping damaged 2020 epi's for all the different rock n roll tones out there than one gibson standard.

...Because I do. lol

Latest Threads