Anyone else have trouble owning/playing a $2k guitar?

redcoats1976

Reaction score
most i ever spent on a guitar was 1200 bucks.to be honest my 2017 tribute GT (gibby)cost me $750 and is every bit as good,and my 2020 epi special is pretty good too.play what makes you happy...

IGRocker

Reaction score
I just have issues taking the money to do it. Usually I’ll spend that much or more on building a new engine for my old truck, working on the wife’s jeep, or restoring another motorcycle.

zdoggie

Reaction score
some body has to owe these high end guitars so it may as well be you always plat what blowe your skirt up .

play and prosper

zdog

gforce

Reaction score
I just got rid of my 2019 Gibson Classic in Translucent Red for a 2017 Epi Goldtop! I'm now a happy camper.

Something about having a 2000 dollar guitar that really didn't play as well (for me anyway) as the 17 Goldtop Trad. Pro I picked up in it's place.

I'm no pro. Not even a great player. Only play at home in my old age. I just couldn't justify my Gibson Classic sitting there. I played it regularly, but c'mon...it should be playing itself! I've had this goldtop once before and just got it back...it just says "play me!"

Can't explain it, just had to be done. Got the Epi Goldtop, a Marshall DSL40C, and $700 for the Classic. I feel lighter now...better. Go figure.
Feel the same way about my Epi Custom Koa - always wanted to add a LP to my collection buts isn't want to pay the Gibson tax. My Epi is a beauty. Added the Darkmoon Deluxe LP wiring with Coil tapping and a Graphtech Bridge and tailpiece.
21021520273-front-xlarge.jpg

Gas4LPs

Reaction score
Between $1-$2k is my sweet spot. After that it's too expensive to take out of the house.

Daz1964

Reaction score
Guess I’m a little different. I don’t mind what they cost as much as I mind if they are too nice. Guitars that are too nice make me nervous. I like to play the instrument. Sometimes, pretty hard. I don’t want to worry about nicking or scratching it. I once jammed with a guy that wiped his guitar down with a cloth diaper after every song. I’d never want a guitar that I felt the need to do that…

Cory

Reaction score
Ok, a bit of explanation. I wasn't real happy for whatever reason with the Gibson. A friend and I worked out a trade for items/cash aforementioned.

Turns out HE didn't really like the guitar either! That's when I knew it was the guitar's mechanics. That's all. It needed some attention to the setup.

Sure enough, after I got it back yesterday, I took a little relief out of the neck, lowered the action on the unwound string end just a bit and I'll be damned if now it doesn't play like I think it should.

I'm pleased.
It’s amazing what a proper setup can do - I pretty much anticipate every guitar that I acquire is going to need a few hours of tweaking to get it just right - glad to hear it all worked out for you :cheers2:

BKS

Reaction score
Ask me again in a few weeks, i will be getting my most expensive gibby and can't wait for it. It is a little more than my custom shop les paul dc pro and i play that, Just not taking it to my lessons that often. Guitars are there to be played not to sit in a case. But i think a more expensive guitar will never make it in the house... Not scared to get a dent while playing but leaving it all on It's own in the big bad world and leaving for work...

timmytVA

Reaction score
It's you.

Every Enter Sandman-playing kid in Guitar Center can smoke my old ass. I don't care. I've worked my butt off and I like what I like. And that is currently a Jimmy Page Tele, a Standard 60s Les Paul, and a (Chinese-made) Gretsch . A Dr. Z, a BC Audio, and a Victory for amps.

Tim

Spooky88

Reaction score
To me all the guitars built by manufacturers at CRAP. There's something about building/assembling/painting a guitar that puts yourself into it. Some turn out better than others. I'm an exceptional player on my own equipment (I mod my own amps as well go figure).

Kezia

Reaction score
Most expensive guitar I have is a Gibson L6S Reissue I dropped $1k on, and even that's usually a little high for me. I not only prefer sub $1k guitars because they're more reasonable for me to buy, but I don't feel nearly as bad modding them or beating them to sh!t

ucsteve

Reaction score
To me all the guitars built by manufacturers at CRAP. There's something about building/assembling/painting a guitar that puts yourself into it. Some turn out better than others. I'm an exceptional player on my own equipment (I mod my own amps as well go figure).
ah...good thing you are on an Epiphone forum then

lwchafin

Reaction score
I have no problem owning a $2K guitar - of course not owning one makes it very easy to not have a problem with that. I've got 3 Epis (one's acoustic), a couple of Gibsons (Studio Deluxe and SG faded), a Squier strat, G&L ASAT Tele, a Fender acoustic, couple others that are in cases that I haven't opened in a few years and don't remember what's in the cases. Love 'em all and haven't spent over $1200 on any of them.

Now my kid ... he's got a few pricey guitars (one's a 1981 Gibbie 335 that's the fugging bomb. You want reliced? It's got it in spades) and he has no problem owning them. But then he can play the everloving shit out of them so why wouldn't he love them?

Last edited:

Six6String6

Reaction score
Buy what makes you happy. $400 or $4000. It shouldn’t matter as long as you are happy with it and it’s in your budget. Some people have 3 guitars some have 30. Me personally, I’m happy with the 4 I have (so far!). I have a reasonably priced Epi Les Paul Tribute Plus which I am more than happy with. However I had to have the Gibson 50’s Standard AAA top Les Paul. A lot more money but what the hell. I’d rather have less guitars and put the coin in one or two nice ones. Like many say, life is short.
Can I play to justify the Gibson? Hell no. But good enough to enjoy as a hobby.

Six6String6

Reaction score
Just curious, what kind of car do you drive?;)

bungle

Reaction score
That’s a big no! Play em if you got em. :dude:They are just guitars.

Tiboy

Reaction score
There is a very wide spectrum to the price of my guitars. The one common denominator is that playing each one at whatever its price point, makes me happy. For me, it’s as simple as that.

Latest Threads