Anyone else have trouble owning/playing a $2k guitar?

tygr1

Reaction score
I just got rid of my 2019 Gibson Classic in Translucent Red for a 2017 Epi Goldtop! I'm now a happy camper.

Something about having a 2000 dollar guitar that really didn't play as well (for me anyway) as the 17 Goldtop Trad. Pro I picked up in it's place.

I'm no pro. Not even a great player. Only play at home in my old age. I just couldn't justify my Gibson Classic sitting there. I played it regularly, but c'mon...it should be playing itself! I've had this goldtop once before and just got it back...it just says "play me!"

Can't explain it, just had to be done. Got the Epi Goldtop, a Marshall DSL40C, and $700 for the Classic. I feel lighter now...better. Go figure.

FadedLP

Reaction score
Definitely don’t spend the money if its gonna bug you. The idea is you’re paying for the increased craftsmanship and being made in merica

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a thing for sure. I bought stupidly expensive guitars. Not even close to being able to do them justice. Still, i am getting better, almost got rid of those awful unwanted sounds when playing with some higher gain, only taken a couple of months of really focussing on it.
I bought a richwood artist re125 in 2019 and prolly should have stuck with that. That being said i would have spent the cash on useless stuff of no real value, so at least what i have has value for future sale if money ever needed.

Last edited:

Guitarhack

Reaction score
I don't necessarily have an aversion to certain guitar brands because of how much they cost. I've got some expensive guitars and I've got some less expensive guitars. The common theme for them is that I enjoy playing them and they sound and look good (IMHO). I'm willing to spend money on my guitars and gear without fretting because its my main hobby. I'm not a professional but I've been playing for over 40 years and it brings me some measure of peace and joy.

I do think most of us have a monetary tipping point where the cost of the instrument out weights the utility of the instrument. I will never spend more than I can comfortably afford (cause a negative impact on my family).

pondcaster

Reaction score
Big fan of Epiphones here but no, haven't really had an epi that can hold a candle to my Gs. Maybe the old mik Sheraton I had years ago?

No worries, play what inspires you!

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess it is just me.
Totally get where you're coming from!

I managed to get myself over it by proving several times I lose more money selling used Epi's than I ever will selling used Gibson's. The good ones really are assets and will never sting you.

That aside, my brain takes me there on a pretty regular basis. especially with LP's. A Les Paul will always be in my #3 slot. My Tele and 335 will always occupy the two top spots. I struggle with just how much Les Paul do I need? I guess that keeps me interested in trying a '59.

Still, the biggest mistake I've made in my seven year flip journey was selling my '01 standard. Should have called the game right there.

This last year after a surgery I had to adjust to playing sitting down. I've never done that. I felt that fear I might harm the A team bumping into something in my new playing surroundings. Picked up a used Epi 335 and an LP to be able to get back into it without a worry. Both have served me well. The A team is just now coming back out.

Always remember though, this hobby has way less real "expense" than other hobbies or passions. Hunting, shooting, boating and fishing will empty your pockets and at the end of the day that money is gone. My kids will sell my fishing gear in a garage sale for a nickel on the dollar. Selling my guitars will bring a smile to their face and a chuckle to their hearts.

You worked for it, you earned it, you deserve it. Do what makes you happy and enjoy.

Dilver

Reaction score
It’s all relative. Look at other things you own and use every day that cost as much or more and you get such little enjoyment out of them - cars, appliances, furniture, clothes (some people). As I get older, I’m going for fewer, nicer guitars. Makes no difference that I don’t play out any more, or can’t play as well as some of my pro musician friends. I enjoy it and it’s really my only vice.

Deftone

Reaction score
Guess it is just me.
No, I felt that way for years. If I wanted something else, I sold what I had and I kept them all well under $2k.

Then I saw the prices of what I had sold had doubled, tripled even quadrupled so I started kicking myself. I showed the wife and she said "go for it."

I look at it like this: Any of the high end stuff will hold or go up in value so it's an investment.

And if it doesn't? Fuck it. You only live once. If it's not hurting you financially, buy what makes you happy. Live your life on your terms. I'd rather die broke or with a little debt than leave a big pile of cash for the gov. to take.

Shit, I think I just talked myself into making another purchase...

neoclassical

Reaction score
Not a problem owning, but definitely a problem getting money to buy lol. Seriously I do worry about the Gibson sometimes. A wise man said: If you only have one cow, you only have one cow worth of worry. If you have a field of 100 cows, you have that much more worry.

ucsteve

Reaction score
Not a problem owning, but definitely a problem getting money to buy lol. Seriously I do worry about the Gibson sometimes. A wise man said: If you only have one cow, you only have one cow worth of worry. If you have a field of 100 cows, you have that much more worry.
Gibson makes cows now? man... no idea what the resale on those are
9429_149300628122_7998479_n.jpg

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's all relative. I've played some high end g's that didn't do squat for me, and one or two that stirred the soul just opening the cases. that's also happened to other japanese mfg'ers and *gasp* an epi or two that I own or have owned.

human are finicky and emotional. musical instruments that you love magnify that. I mean, I LOVE guitars through and through. can't get enough.

Latest Threads