Anyone else an Epi convert?

tele-bastard

Reaction score
I am digging my Epi;s....other than a bump in the road to year ago... I bought an Epiphone dot deluxe that absolutely sucked... it discouraged me a bit... but then I picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro and a SG 400... my confidence in them restored to say the least.

brhokla

Reaction score
I'm fine with the Epi Headstock. It looks better than just about anything else except the Gibson and the Hagstrom Headstock. I like the Hagstroms the most. Looks killer...

brhokla

Reaction score
I've always loved Hagstrom Swedes. Pretty much any Hagstrom, actually. They march to their own drummer.

That's what I'm saying. They are amazing guitars and have a beautiful headstock. I couldn't resist buying one. Even the stock pickups in the Swede are great. Just rewired mine with sealed, brass pots and Orange Drop Caps and she sounds sweet.

Razz

Reaction score
I've had an '01 dot for several years, good guitar, put a bb pro in it, not bad. Recently acquired an'03 dot deluxe flame top wine red and oh man what a difference! From the super sweet tone coming out of the stock pick ups to the comfy neck (feels so much like my VM lespaul I sometimes forget which one I'm playing) I'm loving it so much seriously considering moving into the "number one" position. Very nice guitars especially considering the price

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Epi's Gibby's or Fenders all look better than the likes of Dean etc.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I am currently GASing hard for a Gold Top with a '60s neck but the only ones available are a couple of NOS Signature Ts...the only problem is that they are close to the original price whereas white ones are being blown out for $1399.

Because I cannot get what I want from Gibson I am seriously considering an Epi just to satisfy my Gold Top GAS until Gibson gets around to bringing that finish back.

There are only two things making me hesitate at the moment. The first is that I don't know if I want to buy an Epi and sink money into modding it (if I changed the pots and pickups on a Gibson Les Paul I would definitely do so on an Epi). The second is the head stock. People can say it doesn't matter but large headstocks bug me, even on the '70s styled Fenders, so this isn't just an Epi thing with me - it is all large head stocks. Then again, I am getting used to the larger head stock on my Washburn acoustic so maybe I could get used to the ones on Epis. I'll never get used to the '70s styled head stocks on Fenders though.

ETA: D'oh! Just noticed when this thread was started :facepalm:

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
It may be an old thread colchar, but the conversation (and your subsequent point) is as valid as it's ever been
thumbsup.gif

I'd say try to get an Epi Gold Top and see how it grabs you... you could always sell it on if it doesn't work out, but I've had plenty of guitars down the years and love my Epis to bits! So much so in fact that they're the only ones I now have
yessmiley.gif

Oh and yes, the initial spark was lit by a '56 Gold Top something like eight years ago... and I picked up a Classic last September and it instantly reminded me of why I loved the old one... it was, of course, a Gold Top too
smile.gif

Epiphone-Les-Paul-Classic-Gold-Top-2003-6.jpg

wub.gif

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
It may be an old thread colchar, but the conversation (and your subsequent point) is as valid as it's ever been
thumbsup.gif

I'd say try to get an Epi Gold Top and see how it grabs you... you could always sell it on if it doesn't work out, but I've had plenty of guitars down the years and love my Epis to bits! So much so in fact that they're the only ones I now have
yessmiley.gif

Oh and yes, the initial spark was lit by a '56 Gold Top something like eight years ago... and I picked up a Classic last September and it instantly reminded me of why I loved the old one... it was, of course, a Gold Top too
smile.gif

Epiphone-Les-Paul-Classic-Gold-Top-2003-6.jpg

wub.gif

That is gorgeous!

We only seem to be able to get the most mainstream models up here in Canada. I've never seen an Elitist in a store here. This year, the only Epi LP that seems to come in Gold Top is the Standard so I would have to grab one of those. I suppose I could just play it, have fun with it, and then decide later on whether I like it enough to keep it and do mods on it.

FauxGuitarist

Reaction score
I think it's just the folded in edges at the top that get me.. I just like the Gibson one better. I also like the ESP headstocks and even PRS ones.

I know exactly what you mean. I love Epiphones, I just loathe the headstock. Both the regular and MIJ/Elitist versions. The Gibson headstock is much better looking.

Latest Threads