Anyone do buyer protection on mint guitar that wasn't ?

ben2e

Reaction score
Bought an Elitist ES-335 on ebay advertised as pristine,

Epiphone Elitist 1963 ES-335 Dot Near Mint and Perfect | eBay

The finish was in excellent condition but the frets show wear. Typical flat spots under the b & e strings of the first few frets. It doesn't likely need a refret but after reading the description, it was a bit of a letdown. Anyone have experience raising this kind of issue with buyer protection ? I haven't written the seller yet. And yes, it took three weeks to arrive.

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you are planning to play it a lot and the guitar is in good shape other than the fretwear I'd say keep it and be happy. You are going to wear down the frets even more anyway.

If you are looking for a collector's piece of some kind then return it.

dangerdog

Reaction score
It is possible that they just missed the fretwear and in their defense they did say it was a 9.9 out of ten....so it was not going to be perfect...but then going against them they did say it was perfect.

Hmmmm---I normally come down pretty hard on sellers that seem to mis-describe on purpose but this one is borderline to me.

Something to also think about is (and this doesnt excuse misrepresentation, just something to consider for practical purposes) that you got a killer deal.

If I were you I definitely wouldn't be returning it.....so your only real option is to contact the seller and say "I was a little disappointed about the fret wear. What can we do?".

A sure fire way to get a seller pissed and back on their heels is to file a not as described case without contacting the seller. That can send them over the top and you would probably lose a real paypal case.

BTW...it doesn't sound like it will "need" a refret for years. Sounds to me like some guy babied his guitar for years and some fretwear snuck up on it without him noticing.

River

Reaction score
pics of the flatspots
This.

One man's "flat spots" are another man's subtle little dings that, IME, happen to pretty much any guitar in the first few weeks of playing it, and you even find on guitars hanging on the music store wall that have been test-driven a few times.

dangerdog

Reaction score
This.

One man's "flat spots" are another man's subtle little dings that, IME, happen to pretty much any guitar in the first few weeks of playing it, and you even find on guitars hanging on the music store wall that have been test-driven a few times.

We are going to need pics...if you can't get it to show in the pics then they are not worth mentioning.

ben2e

Reaction score
Getting an in focus closeup was beyond my skills for this amount of light. I took it to a luthier today who said it had some wear and showed a decent amount of play but was of course not in need of any immediate fretwork which is about what I thought. I contacted the seller. I'd definitely do that anyway before paypal. Hopefully it works out.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
I took advantage of "buyer protection" last year when a "like new" Taylor 12 string showed up with a 3.5" crack up the middle of the back. It was from Phoenix and probably not cared for as it should have been. No mention in the description, only how beautiful it was etc. You have to contact the seller first, all in good faith, before going to eBay for help. See how far it gets you and if unsatisfied, open a case. A simple "any cracks, repairs?" question would have cleared this up, maybe, who knows if the seller knows what to look for. My seller resisited in every way and eBay forced them to take it back. No fun for anyone. But, I finally got another 12 string, and it's very nice but in worse shape than described-at least it was listed as used, not "like new". I don't think that description is available anymore...too many issues arose because of it, so eBay's dropped it as an option.

dangerdog

Reaction score
If they cant picture it well and give a halfway decent description you are rolling the dice.

Some folks dont even give a description these days as they are too worried about a "not as described" case....avoid those people...a general description is easy to give...if it is backed up with pics the guyer is golden.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well you've taken the "bit of a let down" view. Here's another take on the deal. You got an item that's "as described" except for one very small issue. You also got an Elitist ES-335 for $910. I'd get the luthier to stone and crown the frets so they look like new, even though they don't need it yet, do a couple of back-flips to celebrate, and then go and play the shite out of the guitar. Then I'd leave some positive feedback for the seller - he did say it was used - it is.

Liam

Actinic

Reaction score
The finish was in excellent condition but the frets show wear. Typical flat spots under the b & e strings of the first few frets. ... I haven't written the seller yet. And yes, it took three weeks to arrive.

This is typical of the Chinese Epiphones, but not the Japanese made ones. If it buzzes on these strings after a saddle or truss rod adjustment, write to the seller about getting an allowance to redress the frets. Do this before you give him a neg or a neutral. You probably have buyer's remorse because of the heavy bidding on the item. Twenty six bids! Don't complain about the shipping time. That's how long 4th class mail takes.

lespaul01

Banned
Reaction score
Bought an Elitist ES-335 on ebay advertised as pristine,

Epiphone Elitist 1963 ES-335 Dot Near Mint and Perfect | eBay

The finish was in excellent condition but the frets show wear. Typical flat spots under the b & e strings of the first few frets. It doesn't likely need a refret but after reading the description, it was a bit of a letdown. Anyone have experience raising this kind of issue with buyer protection ? I haven't written the seller yet. And yes, it took three weeks to arrive.

If the guitar is SNAD contact the buyer and try to work it out as Paypal and Ebay suggest. If you feel it is SNAD and can not get anywhere with the buyer then file a claim. You will be directed by paypal from there what to do. Follow that info very closely.

dangerdog

Reaction score
You probably have buyer's remorse because of the heavy bidding on the item.

An Epi 335 ELITEST for $910. How could anyone have buyers remorse getting a guitar like that $900.

Those EASILY sell $1300-$1400...with some of the first year models cracking the 2k mark on occasion.

kevinh

Reaction score
Don't complain. The guy took a sure hit, once you count ebay fees and paypal fees. You got a great deal, and maybe he was a hobbyist who didn't notice the fretwear because he hasn't been playing long enough TO notice it

Latest Threads