Anyone Compare the 2020 1959 LP to the 2020 LP Modern

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I purchased the Epi LP Modern, because it has a lot of my favorite appointments, like the Ebony Fretboard, Tulip Grover Locking Tuners, a nice maple cap, good weight relief at 7.9 lbs, and the new headstock design. But... for some reason after reading and hearing about the Epi 2020 LP 1959, I am very interested if anyone has had a chance to compare this to the LP Modern I have?

I would love to hear all opinions, since I love the look of the LP 1959 as well as what it has to offer for it's appointments.

Last edited:

HighFlyer

Reaction score
I don't have a Modern, but do have the '59. Just looking at the Epiphone the '59 is going to be quite different. It's not weight relieved (mine is the heaviest LP I own), it doesn't have any of the comfort cuts, it's going to have a fatter neck, it has a long tenon neck, Gibson pickups, it has "50's era wiring" and Switchcraft toggle and jack.

Honestly other than the overall body shape, they are very different guitars.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The Medium C neck is not really that much bigger, is it? Sure it is not weight relieved, but a lot of people are stating that their 59 is like 8.5 lbs give or take some. I am aiming more towards the quality perspective of the guitar, I know my Bonmassa BB and Modern are a lot nicer than previous Epiphones I purchased over the years. Is the 59 even 1 step further as far as quality and superiority from an Epiphone quality perspective. I know at some point, I need to take my Modern to a luthier and get the fret ends smoothed out a bit because some are a bit sharp, but overall it is a really nice guitar and came setup pretty good from Sweetwater.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am got in touch with my Sweetwater Sales Rep and he is going to call me when they receive in some Aged Dark Cherry Burst for the Les Paul 1959 Standards. He said he would send me some pics when they get some in and I could choose which one I like best. He said that may be a while, but I am not in a hurry since I have a lot of nice LP's already I can play and have fun with. I just can't wait to see if I get that killer 70's rock tone from one.

HighFlyer

Reaction score
The Medium C neck is not really that much bigger, is it? Sure it is not weight relieved, but a lot of people are stating that their 59 is like 8.5 lbs give or take some. I am aiming more towards the quality perspective of the guitar, I know my Bonmassa BB and Modern are a lot nicer than previous Epiphones I purchased over the years. Is the 59 even 1 step further as far as quality and superiority from an Epiphone quality perspective. I know at some point, I need to take my Modern to a luthier and get the fret ends smoothed out a bit because some are a bit sharp, but overall it is a really nice guitar and came setup pretty good from Sweetwater.
I mean, at the end of the day it's still an Epiphone coming out of an Epiphone factory. All the examples I've seen except for maybe one or two have been just fine as far as QC goes. I'd imagine it's going to be on par with everything else in the 2020 line up in that regard.

LP1865

Reaction score
I am got in touch with my Sweetwater Sales Rep and he is going to call me when they receive in some Aged Dark Cherry Burst for the Les Paul 1959 Standards. He said he would send me some pics when they get some in and I could choose which one I like best. He said that may be a while, but I am not in a hurry since I have a lot of nice LP's already I can play and have fun with. I just can't wait to see if I get that killer 70's rock tone from one.
2 Epiphones are better than 1. Buy it. You'll have 2 body shapes on the opposite sides of the spectrum.
Also I wanna see pics of your Modern

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I purchased the one that looks like a Shark just attacked someone in the water. This is the Sweetwater Exclusive they call Blueberry Fade.

lpmodernshark2.jpg
guitarwall_lpmodern.jpg

Latest Threads