Anyone come across Q Pickups "Dry Z" variant?

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I almost bid on a Double cut jr kit recently but I didn't even see a fret board in the pics so it seemed like it would add up in costs pretty quick if I need to source that from somewhere else. I find myself managing to waste hours setting up guitars and swapping pickups as it is. I need more actual playing time. Now that I have a Helix, I find myself tweaking that endlessly too.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I almost bid on a Double cut jr kit recently but I didn't even see a fret board in the pics so it seemed like it would add up in costs pretty quick if I need to source that from somewhere else. I find myself managing to waste hours setting up guitars and swapping pickups as it is. I need more actual playing time. Now that I have a Helix, I find myself tweaking that endlessly too.
None of the ones they are putting up have fretboards and most have defects of some kind. I won the 3 pickup SG as well. So now I have 2 of them.

Only one of the singlecuts had binding and that was a lefty. So they do need a lot of stuff!

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
None of the ones they are putting up have fretboards and most have defects of some kind. I won the 3 pickup SG as well. So now I have 2 of them.

Only one of the singlecuts had binding and that was a lefty. So they do need a lot of stuff!
I saw that one. Too much work for me but could be a fun project. Whatever happened with the Geppeto pickups??

Roxy13

Reaction score
I saw that one. Too much work for me but could be a fun project. Whatever happened with the Geppeto pickups??
The Nomads are in the red Edwards. I haven't used the Camelots yet. I like the Nomads a lot. I wouldn't say they are spot on for the Zs, but it's also true that I haven't played both the Zs and the Nomads in the same guitar.

I want to start building guitars. So the 2 Tokais will be partial learning experiences with doing binding, finishing and making fretboards. I'm also going to use the SG first to draw up plans and make some templates from. Someone laughed at me and said but you have so many SGs you could use! And I said this is true but they do all have the neck attached :) The one that doesn't will be much easier to use.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think most of em were either tour type kits offered in the early 80s or slight rejects they sold off.
Weird how they are all of a sudden appearing, the two I bought were years apart and pretty obscure at the time.

Roxy13

Reaction score
So far they are all blemished necks and bodies. I believe they are cleaning their warehouse due to Covid 19.

Although the SG really didn't have any flaws other than they said something with the wiring channels. So I maybe fun fixing that.

Hydra19

Reaction score
I opened this thread as I thought it was about Q pickups....I have seen that clip and even wanted the Gepettos for my Les Paul at another time, but never ended up getting them. I believe they are good pickups and for the right price. I'd try them out.
I cannot say the same for Q Pickups. I was looking for some Seymour Duncan sets and the page was just littered with all kinds of copies by Q pickups. not just humbuckers, but special wind Telecaster pickups, winds for each year, I mean there is a lot of models and choice. My question is about tehe R&D, how do I know these pickups all sound like they're meant to for a specific year.
I was surprised to learn Wizz was based in Croatia, but now Q pickups are in Makarska, which is in Dalmatia, seaside town. Anyway, I didn't try any Q pickups and would love to read a blog about the research into all the models and the differences between them. Not saying anything bad about Q pickups, never heard them

ThePanda

Reaction score
Yes, the Nomads are in the candy apple red Edwards and the Camelots are in the 1989 Edwards. Both are very good sounding pickups.
Awesome. Did you find the sound is similar to the DRY-Z?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Awesome. Did you find the sound is similar to the DRY-Z?
They are definitely similar. One thing I have not done is play them and the Zs in the same guitar though. I also took the covers off the Nomads but have covers on the Zs.

Hydra19

Reaction score
I just for a Greco EG1000C that should have come with Dry Z's but the previous owner already took them out. I've ordered some Gepetto Nomads now, although I've never played a Dry Z, but I shall report how they sound vs the PU-0 in there at the moment

Hydra19

Reaction score
So far they're good, after 2nd thought I'd want something hotter in there than the nomads, or Wolftone Legends, but so far the PU-0 do sound good, i can seem to dial them in easily for different styles. They have covers on, and I'm new to the whole double pole piece pickups, so I assume the other coil is set pretty low to allow the cover to be fitted. The adjustable pole pieces are set low, below the cover. I'll adjust them if I feel I need to, but they're double creams underneath which I wouldn't like on a black custom. I also might change the pots to 500k which will give me plenty of time to make my own opinion of these pickups. I like them so far, but I've only ever played the U1000 so it's not like I can judge them against Dry Z's or PU-2's. They're pretty even sounding, doesn't seem to lack too much of anything, and they sound a bit more organic or smoother than I remember SD 59's sounding in maple top LPC, but with enough power to handle bit more than medium gain

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
So far they're good, after 2nd thought I'd want something hotter in there than the nomads, or Wolftone Legends, but so far the PU-0 do sound good, i can seem to dial them in easily for different styles. They have covers on, and I'm new to the whole double pole piece pickups, so I assume the other coil is set pretty low to allow the cover to be fitted. The adjustable pole pieces are set low, below the cover. I'll adjust them if I feel I need to, but they're double creams underneath which I wouldn't like on a black custom. I also might change the pots to 500k which will give me plenty of time to make my own opinion of these pickups. I like them so far, but I've only ever played the U1000 so it's not like I can judge them against Dry Z's or PU-2's. They're pretty even sounding, doesn't seem to lack too much of anything, and they sound a bit more organic or smoother than I remember SD 59's sounding in maple top LPC, but with enough power to handle bit more than medium gain
So does that mean the Nomads and the Wolftone Legends are similar in sound?

I actually have a set with a Legend in the neck and Marshallhead in the bridge that I am planning to put into my EG1000C. I am trying to replicate the original violin finish but keep screwing it up so it might be going back to being a Mick Ronson style plain top.

Hydra19

Reaction score
No, that's not what I meant, I have never played any, it's just there were some gold Legends for sale that I was going to get for this guitar but I did want something hotter than vintage, a marshallhead tempts me more, as does playing around with the pickup I already have. Sorry for the misunderstandings.

Latest Threads