Anyone any idea of what pickup this is...

BKS

Reaction score
No brandname, or nothing on this thing. I took it out of my Camel les paul. Sounded pretty dark and muddy played clean. Distortion.... Mehhhhh.....
Totally overpowered the neck pickup... Wich i also ripped out of the guitar. The neck might have been original to the guitar, the bridge not but probably was an early replacement but no idea when, long time ago as it was already in when previous owner got it.
Measure 12.88 on this plastic thing, looks weird... cheap :laugh2:
Burstbucker pro going in now.... Bet that will sound different.
DSC_2797_compress91.jpg
DSC_2804_compress98.jpg
DSC_2803_compress75.jpg
DSC_2801_compress24.jpg
DSC_2799_compress76.jpg
DSC_2798_compress22.jpg

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Homemade? No markings, philips head screws (on both bobbins, no pole pieces) and a little odd looking.

Reactions: BKS

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's actually a NOS one, sealed in the original packaging, in Germany right now! About $200 USD shipped (no affiliation).

BKS

Reaction score
Was not expecting that. Like the Bill Lawrence pickups in my U2 (the original) but this one is really dark and muddy sounding not nice at all in the camel. Maybe i just put it up for sale than :laugh2:
Thanx cooljuk:thumbs:

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
The Bill Lawrence story is a long and not all happy one. He lost the rights to use the "Bill Lawrence" brand more than once, as I recall, so there's a lot of products out there with his name on that were NOT designed by him. He died back in 2013 but you can still find bits of his story with some googling.

judson

Reaction score
There's actually a NOS one, sealed in the original packaging, in Germany right now! About $200 USD shipped (no affiliation).

dam you ARE that good.....

buddy told me his boss could sit in his office and if he smelled a fan belt burning up in the shop , he could tell you the make, year of the car and size motor from the smell...do you know Tom by any chance? your probably brothers...:rofl:

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
No brandname, or nothing on this thing. I took it out of my Camel les paul. Sounded pretty dark and muddy played clean. Distortion.... Mehhhhh.....
Burstbucker pro going in now.... Bet that will sound different.
I liked the BB Pro in Bridge position on my guitar, I think I like it even more now I have put an Alnico 4 magnet in it. A little less bright, a little sweeter.

either way, dark and muddy it is NOT :)

BKS

Reaction score
I had bb pro in my 2016 studio. Hated that guitar but really loved those bb's. So found one cheap second hand and no second thoughts. Don't really know the '61 i will put in the neck... But as it belongs to the bb family i guess i be fine.... I think.
I bet a lot of people wil like the bl... It is nice with distortion just not clean or with just a little crunch. I even felt i had to apologize to my guitar teacher haha. As this pickup via the lousy Koch amp sounded even worse than just dark and muddy haha.... Switching to neck was no option, sounded better but volume drop..... Bridge on 1, neck on 11....still had a huge volume difference between them...

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
The more I read this, the more I suspect this is Bill Lawrence branded but not Bill Lawrence designed. I've played a couple of his pickup designs for Gibson and I seem to remember an old BL500 back in the day, and they were all pretty competent if not quite to my personal taste

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Interesting find and story rather pleasing looking maybe not sounding I suppose.

BKS

Reaction score
Taste is personal. I do like 'the original' and the matching single coils in my U2. These, maybe they were in the wrong guitar but i just do not like it. Same as i don't like those old Jackson j70c or J90c pickups, and i know there are lots of people that love those. But those will love this pickup too. Sounds good with distortion.

Latest Threads