Anybody want an LP body for a project

Dino

Reaction score
I can't stand people who molest perfectly good instruments just to turn a buck.

Sinster

Reaction score
You can get an AAA from Sweetwater for 2700

In order to get this to playing condition
Will need a set of pickups 150 - 300
Tuners - 80.00
Electronics - 60 - 150.00
Knobs - 30.00
Bridge - 40.00 - 150.00
Stop - 30- 100.00

rossfr

Reaction score
I can't stand people who molest perfectly good instruments just to turn a buck.
what they do is they take Les Paul to pieces and then sell each parts separately to make more money? :shock:

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope OP is kidding...

This dude makes it so anyone can buy a Les Paul, and then, wait for it, buy the parts he WANTS to have in it, instead of changing all the parts and keeping the originals in a bin. This is the next best thing to building your own. I do not get OP's beef

jrnic

Reaction score
I hope OP is kidding...

This dude makes it so anyone can buy a Les Paul, and then, wait for it, buy the parts he WANTS to have in it, instead of changing all the parts and keeping the originals in a bin. This is the next best thing to building your own. I do not get OP's beef
I agree, it's almost like you are ordering a customized guitar. In my case, I just bought a 2013 SG 50's tribute (w/ P90 routes in it) from them. I got the body for about half the cost of a new one. I already had most of the parts from another project (mostly Gibson/Klusion parts too.) In the case of the pickups, I put in a P90 in the neck and a Dimarzio Soapbar Humbucker wired to a push-pull pot in the bridge and now I have the guitar I had wanted. A P90 in the neck and a hot humbucker in the bridge, switchable to a single coil for twice the amount of sounds. I spent hardly any money on the parts and I have a kick A$$ SG.:dude:

straybeat

Reaction score
I hope OP is kidding...

I've built a bunch of LP's over the last 46 years. I just thought the price seemed a bit much? This is my last one from 2 years ago, a 2005 walnut Studio;

paco1976

Reaction score
The stratosphere is out of control, more expensive every day. At this point I don't understand who can buy them.They sell the body for the price of the whole guitar used. Where is the deal for me? Makes no sense.

straybeat

Reaction score
The stratosphere is out of control, more expensive every day. At this point I don't understand who can buy them.They sell the body for the price of the whole guitar used. Where is the deal for me? Makes no sense.
That was my point. I said to the wife you can buy one used for $1600. The body in the pic is gorgeous, but man, then you have to spend $400 to $600 more for hardware? You can just buy a new and get the pick of what you want.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
you wait and see where the used market goes now that the traditionals are 2800 new. I'm dying to find out.

DoctorGonzo

Reaction score
That was my point. I said to the wife you can buy one used for $1600. The body in the pic is gorgeous, but man, then you have to spend $400 to $600 more for hardware? You can just buy a new and get the pick of what you want.
I think I've heard people outside the US have a lot of luck with parting together guitars. Saves them on taxes and customs and they can still come out cheaper than whatever that guitar is being sold for new in the stores near them. I agree that it's kinda ridiculous from an American perspective. Then again if the bodies were cheaper I'd be piecing together guitars like crazy and nobody overseas would have a chance to get these bodies.

CRFyou

Reaction score
I've got a lot of Les Pauls, but no SG. So for my last birthday, my brother bought me this stripped 2014 SG Standard in Walnut.

It was $600 and I had a lot of parts/pickups ready to go for it. I had to buy some plastics and stuff, but I got a new guitar and it didn't cost me much at all.

The TRC says, "E-tune" but I don't get down like that. It has locking Grovers.

iteched

Reaction score
Wow - there are even stripped out LPJ bodies out there...

bamos

Reaction score
Its funny that you can build a Les Paul from stratosphere generally lower than retail of the same model, but buying all the parts to build a strat comes out more expensive than retail. They need to change their name.

Reaction score
I, for one, love the Les Paul guitars. OTOH, I'm not really sold on Gibson's choice for stopbars and tailpieces. I don't like Burstbuckers. I do like '57 pickups but I like a few SD models and others even better. My personal preference is for 50s style wiring. It seems the older and lazier I get, I am shifting to a locking tuners preference, and big heavy Grovers are not my first choice. And I have weight and neck preferences.

IMO, I can get one of these bodies, build it to my preferences, and end up with a practically new guitar that I am in love with at a cost much less than a new guitar that I would need to throw even more money at.

I don't know many ways to achieve my goals at a cheaper cost. Do you?