Anybody try Obsidian solderless harnesses?

vetteman

Reaction score
Looking for your experiences with the Obsidian brand of 'solderless' Les Paul wiring harnesses. I can solder but hate trying to re-solder joints when switching pickups (and then accidently using the soldering iron as a woodburning tool). These appear to be decent quality and a great way to change pickups around.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Looking for your experiences with the Obsidian brand of 'solderless' Les Paul wiring harnesses. I can solder but hate trying to re-solder joints when switching pickups (and then accidently using the soldering iron as a woodburning tool). These appear to be decent quality and a great way to change pickups around.
I have not tried the one for Les Paul, but I do have one in one of my Strats. It works great and I have had no problems at all.
The reason I bought it was so I could do a lot of pickup swapping and comparison. It does the job in spades...

Paul86

Reaction score
I have one in my number one. I'm totally digging it. I read their copy, and thought their claims of more clarity were just marketing bs - but they are right! It is replacing a much more expensive harness (I won't say what), and the guitar never sounded better. I don't know how they can offer so much quality at such a competitive price.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ They just use the same components everyone else does.......but soldered to a board.
Clarity will come from different pot values. If they go for the 550k versions rather than 500k, then there's the clarity right there.

jvin248

Reaction score

+1 sorting pots ^^^, especially for volume, will alter your guitar tone bright or dark. 20% tolerance range on most pots. If guitar bodies varied in thickness that much people might think the wood has something to do with their output tone...

I go on line and buy some parts and solder them up... $6 bourns, $0.05 caps, $11 4- and 5-way blade switches, $4 LP toggles ... Doesn't add up to $100. I understand the convenience factor for many though.

If you want plugs for experimenting, I've used RCA connectors and there is an Radio Controlled Car wiring connector that is pretty cheap for a pack of them (I guess the RC folks use them for batteries and motor swapping).

Mookakian

Reaction score
I have enough trouble with oxidisation on the input jack every few years making the signal cut in and out when the lead is moved, sure you can sand the oxidization off when it happens but itd be a pain with all the other joins doing the same thing, the jack is easy enough as its larger and easy to pop out, sand the hot tab then pop back in, the lugs on pots and switch however... That wouldnt be much fun when in a few years your trying to source an oxidisation issue in 5 or 6 mechanical joins, give me a soldered join any day

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
I have one in my number one. I'm totally digging it. I read their copy, and thought their claims of more clarity were just marketing bs - but they are right! It is replacing a much more expensive harness (I won't say what), and the guitar never sounded better. I don't know how they can offer so much quality at such a competitive price.
What guitar is your No 1 and can you remember what electronics came with it when it was stock?

Paul86

Reaction score
It's an 86 standard. The electronics simply gave up after all these years. I first replaced the original harness with a high-priced item. Coming from a noisy, unreliable guitar, it was a huge improvement.
Then I saw a guy installing an Obsidian on UTube and thought I'd have a go. I was glad I did. I chose the 50s style hairness, it's quieter and the volume and tone knobs are much more functional now.
Here's the thing. For all this time, I tended to set up tone and volume and forget about it, now I keep fiddling a lot more, because the controls provide more variety, more useable tones, you know?

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
I’m interested! I’m seeking to improve the clarity on one of my Pauls and your experience seems to nail my predicament. I hope they offer push pull coilsplitting on the volume knobs and ship to the UK.

Paul86

Reaction score
Hello Angus Blackmore
They do. Just check their website. I almost went for their Jimmy Page harness.

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
I’m interested! I’m seeking to improve the clarity on one of my Pauls and your experience seems to nail my predicament. I hope they offer push pull coilsplitting on the volume knobs and ship to the UK.
Sorry I missed this post Paul 86... since then I’ve bought 2 obsidian wire harnesses and they really breathed life into my les pauls!

Pancreas

Reaction score
I installed one in a 2020 Les Paul Tribute after pulling out the dreaded PCB. Good investment, if you ask me. I really like it, and changing pickups is now a breeze!

Gryphon

Reaction score
I was having noise issues with my '91 standard and this is the solution I'm looking for. Just ordered the 50/60 switchable version to replace the mess I have now. The current pots and caps aren't stock, I bought some off jonesy years ago but the original wiring and my soldering need to go.

Gryphon

Reaction score
Installed the 50/60 switchable board last night into my '91 standard. Results below.

Pros:
  • Pots are really sweet to use
  • 550k pots add clarity
  • Much cleaner controls cavity
  • Quality selector switch and jack included (Edit: these are fair quality, not Switchcraft quality)
  • 50s/60s switches are cool option
Cons:
  • Control cavity not flat on bottom but board is
  • Connector block is hit and miss as to whether a connection takes - very fiddley to get them all working
  • Les Paul ground wire doesn't reach the ground terminal screw blocks, so you need to solder a connection to another wire, or solder the original wire to a pot...

Last edited:

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Installed the 50/60 switchable board last night into my '91 standard. Results below.

Pros:
  • 550k pots add clarity
  • Quality selector switch and jack included
Cons:
  • Connector block is hit and miss as to whether a connection takes - very fiddley to get them all working
  • Les Paul ground wire doesn't reach the ground terminal screw blocks, so you need to solder a connection to another wire, or solder the original wire to a pot...
Yes, I agree it’s not as easy as “plug, play and enjoy” as they advertise.

Very fiddly and just as time-consuming as soldering , seeing as I had to take out the pot knobs and screw them in again.... They should really redesign the connector block bigger and higher and situate the ground connectors higher.

dadude

Reaction score
Mine works great, highly recommended, but mine is a strat harness.

rbraad68

Reaction score

Pros:
  • 550k pots add clarity
  • Quality selector switch and jack included
Cons:
I agree totally man! I bought three of these and have two left i have yet to use. I got the push pull one which i used in my 2020 epi standard. I tore everything out of the guitar and started from scratch. I found that that block was also a pain in the arse to get the wires to stay in the dammed connectors and when i was done it seemed i had a short or loose wire from my output jack. Took me some tinkering but i got it all working after a few trys. The harness sounds good the push pull options are nice .. Kinda dread the thought of installing another one but i have the 50's series thats up to bat next. The 3rd one i got is the 50/60s switchable one like you have....

Attachments

rbraad68

Reaction score
I have a 2020 custom LP epi that i think im going to use this other 50/60s switchable harness in. The harness come with a switch craft output jack and a decent non switch craft toggle to use with the kit. I need to order a switch craft toggle before i can get started. I am going to use a set of SD JB/59 pups for this project.. I just dread installing these things it's just as hidious as soldering uggggg ... i'll post pics when im done.

Latest Threads