Anybody make wider than normal pickup rings?

andy007

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fixing up an inexpensive LP style guitar and the first thing I'm doing is replacing the pickup rings. The original builder routed out the pickup cavities too wide. I need to find some pickup rings that are 95mm wide. I don't think there is such a thing and I might have to make my own. Just checking here first to see if anybody knows if such a thing exists.

ARandall

Reaction score
Epi or metric rings are wider than US dimension ones. But they're not too much wider.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I was also going to suggest looking into metric sizes. There seem to be quite a few different sizes too. I had a heckuva time finding some to fit an Agile husk.

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
Metric rings are only very slightly wider than Imperial, they are about 84mm.

Wouldn't a 95mm wide pickup ring be too wide to mount a pickup anyway?

I wonder if you might be better off filling the sides of the pickup holes with wood shims and color matching with the top. Then you can just use standard size rings.

andy007

Reaction score
I had quite an assortment of pickup rings in my parts box and some were slightly wider than others. The wider rings must have been metric. However, even the wider ones were too small. I may try to make some out of maple scraps.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
Yes there is a company online that i need to find again...

as I bought a firebird where the prior owner hacked out the pup cavitys to put humbucks in, he included the original FB pups and metal rings that i put back in but there is about an 1/8th in gap where the hack shows...drives me insane....let me hunt them down.....i bought a few pieces of rosewood and was thinking of trying my skills but really it would look like crap as i know my limits...:laugh2:

they are custom made, I never got a quote, but i need to get that project finished....i will post when i find them

here is one in the UK but i need USA https://www.axioncustom.co.uk/custom-pickup-rings

here you go i think they are in USA https://www.fretsonthenet.com/Pickups_Info_Parts/pickup rings page.htm

Last edited:

Ripthorn

Reaction score
The builder probably used the stewmac humbucker template...

andy007

Reaction score
Those "goof rings" should do the trick. Thanks for the info, I learned something.

Latest Threads