Anybody here into high end stereo equpment?

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I got rid of my vinyl because I was tired of cleaning each time before I played it, but what does that have to do with high fidelity?

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
I would love to store all my CDs without any loss of resolution on a hard drive, and hit "random" and play music for years, never repeating a song. But then, I do not think I have the time to record over 5000 CDs, it would take longer to do this than to listen to them on my CD changer set at random.

Captain Zap

Reaction score
Wow. What brand are these?

Fixxxer, look closer these are the best darn Altec Lansing spks. Well who can put A7’s in the living room…? These have network adjustments at the top under glass…. I will add some pics…. Digital smigital… Get some good spks and then upgrade your electronics….Zapperphile.

vgm68.jpg

Thanks Ray, but Scatterbrain looks like he knows what he’s doing. Fixxxer will likely get juiced up like I have been since I last bought these wonderful Altec Lansing 512 Towers. I was going to put them back on EBay for 4.5 k since I still have the crates and they are so desirable and like new. But I can’t find anything to replace them for under 7k…. So I have become a audiophile snob….. Zaperooni

twinrider1

Reaction score
....As to speakers, I'd love to have electrostatic speakers but unfortunately in the humid climate where I live they would be too troublesome. Magneplanars are also AMAZING, but poor in the lower frequencies and therefore not great for rock......http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=33&blogId=1

I'll probably catch some flak for this, but my most astounding speaker experience was a pair of Carver's Amazing Loudspeakers (ribbons combined with woofers)They disappeared, the sound was just there. And they absolutely swallowed power. Just hook them straight to Hoover Dam. Maybe additional time with them would have revealed some faults. But for that short audition, they really were amazing.

image.php

Captain Zap

Reaction score
Twinrider:

I like this guy…!

I'll probably catch some flak for this, but my most astounding speaker experience was a pair of Carver's Amazing Loudspeakers (ribbons combined with woofers)They disappeared, the sound was just there. And they absolutely swallowed power. Just hook them straight to Hoover Dam. Maybe additional time with them would have revealed some faults. But for that short audition, they really were amazing.

No Flack from me…. Anything Bob Carver makes is Ok in my book…. I bought a Holographic pre for my turntable and WOW my vinyl has new Dumble sound. You can get a 2k pre for 150.00 bucks on EBay.

The Carver ribbon electro-static spks would be a great for a conventional stereo setup… I miss my old Marantz 2385….. A lot. Zap
2czrh9d.jpg

hipofutura

Reaction score
I want to meet the person that prefers CD to vinyl. There really is no comparison.

Well hello to you! I'm that person. My tired old ears can't always hear the difference unless it's an A/B test. Otherwise, good quality CD's sound absolutely spectacular.

My system has enough articulation so that I can hear splicing and dubbing in poorly mixed recording, yet I prefer CD's over vinyl.

Every time you play your vinyl you are eating away at its articulation. And, the lower the quality of your turntable and the more poorly it's balance, the more you're destroying the media each time you listen.

Fixxxer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well hello to you! I'm that person. My tired old ears can't always hear the difference unless it's an A/B test. Otherwise, good quality CD's sound absolutely spectacular.

My system has enough articulation so that I can hear splicing and dubbing in poorly mixed recording, yet I prefer CD's over vinyl.

Every time you play your vinyl you are eating away at its articulation. And, the lower the quality of your turntable and the more poorly it's balance, the more you're destroying the media each time you listen.

What kind of system of you rolling with? That is cool.

Its hard to explain, and yes the A/B comparison points are valid. I find myself enjoying vinyl a bit more.

hipofutura

Reaction score
What kind of system of you rolling with? That is cool.

Its hard to explain, and yes the A/B comparison points are valid. I find myself enjoying vinyl a bit more.

My stereo system is tri-amped. The hi-freqs are pushed by a Crown D-75A through a pair of JBL ring radiators. A Dynaco Stereo 400 drives a pair of of subs I built with Infinity drivers for the low-freqs. The mid-freqs feed a pair of JBL L100s powered by a pair of CAE mono-blocks I built. I use an Ashly XR2001 six channel active crossover and the preamp from a Marantz 1060.

I'm going to build a pair of customized Altec Model 19 cabs when my wife will let me move my system to the living room. I have all the horns and drivers for the build.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
im into it, i just cant afford it

i do have a 1,000watt Sony 7.1
HDMI digital stereo setup though with
8 speakers, though but i dont think
its concidered Audiophile these days
since its not that expensive

Although two of my speakers are old 5 way Klipsch
tall speakers

Latest Threads