Anybody here into high end stereo equpment?

Fixxxer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you only really care about rock and metal, and are not into flat and extended frequency response, but more into dynamics and viseral impact, look into Klipsch.

I'm not a fan of the horn at the top. :slash:

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Me either. I had a set of Klipsch Cornwalls, they feckin rocked, but they were far from accurate and they could not image to save their life.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
The irony is the better the stereo, the worse bad recordings are going to sound, but the great recordings will be breathtaking.

Fixxxer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The irony is the better the stereo, the worse bad recordings are going to sound, but the great recordings will be breathtaking.

yeah, that becomes obvious VERY quick, thats why I want to get a nice mid range-ish / high end system to maximize what I have.

twinrider1

Reaction score

So true. I chased the perfect sound for a short time. At some point you realize that there is no perfect system. And really no perfect sound.
One $50k system sounds glorious with one recording and lifeless with another. You have a system that has so much resolution that it might expose the flaws in all your favorite recordings.
So....once you realize perfection doesn't exist, you can relax. Just decide on a budget, stick to it, and find the system that sounds the best to you. You don't have to spend $25k+to be happy. "I can get imperfect for a lot less money!" :) And you tend to get used to what you have anyway.

Go listen to a bunch of gear. They all have their own flavor, see what you like. I never like NAD, but a lot of people do. So you have to listen for yourself. Bryston is good, rock solid, 20 year warranty. But you have to see if you like it.

You can buy a complete system, letting the seller help you find a sound you like....faster, probably better most of the time. Or spend a ton of time learning what works with what. Buy a foundation piece, and audition it with other pieces until you find what you like.
I'm a fan of solid state. Tubes to make music, solid state to reproduce it.

Bryston is good, rock solid, 20 year warranty.

nauc

Reaction score
go with companies with great cs. and as long as you get amps and speakers with wide flat responses and more power than you need, most of the other sh!t is snake oil.

ps, sq is objective

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Yep Bryston is decent stuff! I personally like enough resolution to hear every tape splice on the Lep Zep recordings. Of about 5000 CDs I have, maybe 10% are well recorded. The famous Beano album, though it has great music, and Clapton has that "tone" going for him, is a horrendeous recording.

teame1

Reaction score
I'm a Quad fan. Great setup Goatbreath. Where do you live and when do you plan on going on holiday?

3rdstone

Reaction score
I have been into this stuff for years, but I listen to all kinds of music.
Reluctant to post, as this stuff can quickly start getting ugly (strong opinions clashing etc.), But since you mentioned Outlaw, I have found another "internet only" company... Emotiva Audio: Audiophile Quality Multi Channel Amplifiers, Stereo Preamplifiers, Audio/Video Processors, and Award Winning Speaker Systems At Direct Prices mostly for their massively powerful amps, the XPA series. I own two XPA 5's and their UMC1.

You can try them out for 30 days, send them back if you aren't happy. I run a pair of electrostats that dip into the 1 ohm range, and while the company does not recommend this, I can tell you the XPA series will handle that load without breaking a sweat. :naughty:

Cheers, Wreck

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Snip: Reluctant to post, as this stuff can quickly start getting ugly (strong opinions clashing etc.), :snip

You got that right, Fender vs Gibson would seem like a friendly snowball fight compared to the arguments about audiophile equipment!

Kølabrennern

Reaction score
I've got a friend that is heavily into hi-fi these days, and listens mainly to rock and metal. He just bought a pair of Klipsch RF82 that he's very satisfied with after struggling for ages with a pair of far more expensive B&W speakers that just couldn't deliver the right power for his genre preferences. He has a NAD integrated amp of some kind but isn't completely happy, so he's going to test a Rotel instead, as the combination of Rotel and Klipsch apparently should be fantastic for harder music.

As for me, I have a vintage, made in Norway Tandberg Huldra 10 receiver with Tandberg TL5020 and Radionette-something speakers for listening to more classic rock. The warmth of that thing is mindblowing, even if the receiver is due for a service when I lose a channel every now and then and there's some buzzing going on in the bass.

In my living room I have some old NAD stuff, a 917 preamp and 916 poweramp and JBL L40 speakers. I don't think it sounds particularly good, the mids and highs are lacking the right power.

goatbreath

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a Quad fan. Great setup Goatbreath. Where do you live and when do you plan on going on holiday?

What Quad stuff do you have,,??

All of those old British companies I have a lot of time for.

I've been through a fair amount of stuff myself.

Musical Fidelity Monoblocks etc..

I like Valve stuff but I had a loan of a pair of Leak TL12+s that had just been rebuilt for a while..Impressive..I liked my old Sugden A48 also..

My single ended power amp is actually American..Wright Audio..

You have Electrostatic speakers Wreck?..You lucky man..

I am on a Hifi forum and the arguing just gets absolutely ridiculous,,there are many self proclaimed genius types,a lot of really good people too,but also a certain brand of a*sehole who likes to act superior to people.

I have heard all different types of technology that sounds good..Some of the really expensive stuff was the most disappointing,not necessarily for being over revealing either..The different technologies have different weaknesses and strengths.

3rdstone

Reaction score
You have Electrostatic speakers Wreck?..You lucky man..
Got them from Roger Sanders, a States side guy with YEARS of experience, there are no better transducers IMO... Truly GIGO
And I paired them with mt DIY TL's, that's what 10years experience + of tuning Transmission Line Bass enclosures will do. :naughty:

What hi fi forum were you involved with, Goat?

goatbreath

Banned
Reaction score
Vinyl Engine,,I still am involved though don't post as much!!:D

Captain Zap

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of these 4.5k speakers on EBay cheep and I have Rotel equipment. I love the quad amp-ability and also the sound shaping features that let you contour each speaker to tailor to your room or taste. Zap
ehc461.jpg

Fixxxer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of these 4.5k speakers on EBay cheep and I have Rotel equipment. I love the quad amp-ability and also the sound shaping features that let you contour each speaker to tailor to your room or taste. Zap
ehc461.jpg

Wow. What brand are these?

BrazenPicker

Reaction score
I had that condition ("audiophilia nervosa") about 7 years ago and spent (wasted) about 15k US on hifi equipment. I couldn't agree more with twinrider. Do you want to spend a couple of thousand to get within 80% of perfection, or a fortune to get to 85%? The fallacy is that you'll get to 100%. Once you accept that you can relax and listen to the music instead of the electronics. Otherwise it's a never-ending treadmill of GASing for what you don't have.

If I had to build a system today, I would spend by far the most on loudspeakers and just get quality entry-level components for the rest (Rotel, Cambridge Audio...). In my opinion, loudspeakers is where the biggest variance is. Yes, there's a little bit of difference between amps and other equipment too, but much less. I doubt if many people would hear the difference between two solid state amps, one at 700, the other at 7000 dollars. But change that to speakers and the difference is like night and day. As to tubes, to me it's like putting on tinted glasses. You may perceive the world to be more beautiful that way, but that doesn't make it more realistic. Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm aware that there's other schools of thought! I used to be into all that stuff. Whatever floats your boat.

As to speakers, I'd love to have electrostatic speakers but unfortunately in the humid climate where I live they would be too troublesome. Magneplanars are also AMAZING, but poor in the lower frequencies and therefore not great for rock. If you want to build your own, you may also want to check out these:

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=33&blogId=1

Fixxxer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had that condition ("audiophilia nervosa") about 7 years ago and spent (wasted) about 15k US on hifi equipment. I couldn't agree more with twinrider. Do you want to spend a couple of thousand to get within 80% of perfection, or a fortune to get to 85%? The fallacy is that you'll get to 100%. Once you accept that you can relax and listen to the music instead of the electronics. Otherwise it's a never-ending treadmill of GASing for what you don't have.

If I had to build a system today, I would spend by far the most on loudspeakers and just get quality entry-level components for the rest (Rotel, Cambridge Audio...). In my opinion, loudspeakers is where the biggest variance is. Yes, there's a little bit of difference between amps and other equipment too, but much less. I doubt if many people would hear the difference between two solid state amps, one at 700, the other at 7000 dollars. But change that to speakers and the difference is like night and day. As to tubes, to me it's like putting on tinted glasses. You may perceive the world to be more beautiful that way, but that doesn't make it more realistic. Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm aware that there's other schools of thought! I used to be into all that stuff. Whatever floats your boat.

As to speakers, I'd love to have electrostatic speakers but unfortunately in the humid climate where I live they would be too troublesome. Magneplanars are also AMAZING, but poor in the lower frequencies and therefore not great for rock. If you want to build your own, you may also want to check out these:

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=33&blogId=1

I could not agree more and have changed my position on this. I'll most likely get a good set of speakers and a CD player (used) at a good deal and be done with it.

You can go nuts at all the options, and if I equate this to guitar playing, there are some things to splurge on, but at the end of the day I know what I like.

This feedback has been appreciated and helpful

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
It is the same with anything, go up 10% in quality and the price doubles, the closer you get to perfection, the price increases logrhytmically (sp?) But there are people who will pay $100 grand just on a turntable! And $250 grand on amps, and another $100 grand on speakers, but they have this equipment in a dedicated room that cost them $300 grand to perfect its sonic characteristics. The room is one of the most overlooked components of a good stereo system.

Fixxxer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is the same with anything, go up 10% in quality and the price doubles, the closer you get to perfection, the price increases logrhytmically (sp?) But there are people who will pay $100 grand just on a turntable! And $250 grand on amps, and another $100 grand on speakers, but they have this equipment in a dedicated room that cost them $300 grand to perfect its sonic characteristics. The room is one of the most overlooked components of a good stereo system.

Well, you can buy a few houses for that. I think I'll stick with my receiver, interconnects and turn table.

I'll be in the market for speakers and a solid used CD player.

Latest Threads