Anybody have a recent Heritage Cherry Sunburst LP Standard pic to share? clown or nah?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, I use to like the Fireburst tops, which is kind of like the Triburst, but the past year or so, I am really liking the lighter burst guitars. I think the Lemon Burst blend and Iced Tea Burst blend of guitars really does it for me right now. I don't like the Lemon Burst to be to yellow, that is just too bright for me, the dirtier the Lemon Burst the better. Then there is the Iced Tea Burst, where I don't like the edges to be too dark, and not too many flames either. The lighter the edges on the Iced Tea Burst, the better.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out @coyote95667 , enjoy the BB and play her a lot. I go back and forth with my Epiphone 59 and my Gibson 60's all the time, it is a blast.

MP4-22

Reaction score
I brainwashed myself that the Cherry was "orange" and not "pink" and learned to embrace the color hues (but the bourbon has to me PERFECT color hues and paint job). Decided to back burner the appearance and really play both a lot to see which I preferred blindfolded basically. Pretty interesting comparison.

Cherryburst: darker waxier fretboard feels great. 9.25lb but really feels fine on the shoulder weight wise no ding for that (if I buy another I won't bat an eye at 9 1/4 pounds). Plays a little tight. bad setup out of the box with negative neck relief and real high bridge to compensate. Fixed both so the action and relief same as the other guitar (the 55 pt inspections are a joke imo). Sounds focused and dark. on macbook photobooth playback it sounds great - sounds better on playback than when playing in a weird way (and of course facetiming yourself is not exactly "in the studio. Neck girth feels borderline bigger like barely and the neck finish felt thicker and looked a richer red.

Bourbonburst: 8.85lb very tasty weight. plays slinky not tight at all. airy tone and sustains more. made me smile more while improvising it just vibrates different. fretboard could use a fret doctor treatment I think - it isn't terrible but it has some lighter streaks. I went back and forth a lot on sustain because I couldn't believe it was so different - but it really seems to ring our acoustically a few beats longer esp on g string middle frets - makes the cherryburst sound thuddy by comparison but everytime I switched back to cherry I thought it sounded good to - but just doesn't shake in my chest the same.

The final straw - I noticed psychologically ... as I was talking to myself while playing side-by-side I would say "I'm switching to the other one" or "I'm switching to mine". over and over and it was always the bourbon burst I called "mine". Maybe simply because I had it a week sooner but maybe something deeper lol. I think its the one I would wake up with my arms around.

I'd almost rather keep both than send back that cherry flame top but that's what I'm gonna do. I realized I was putting in a lot of work trying to talk myself into it. Boy it did have nice fretboard though - like totally the "new guitar feel". It's been fun.

I went over my Slash standard fretboard with 600 grit sand paper and the results were amazing. If you aren't satisfied with a fretboard give it a go. cost me $1.50 and some time to make the fretboard super smooth. Mine had a rough feel and raised grain.... it was strange because it wasn't like that when i bought it. The rosewood is as smooth as the inlays now.

Reaction score
I went over my Slash standard fretboard with 600 grit sand paper and the results were amazing. If you aren't satisfied with a fretboard give it a go. cost me $1.50 and some time to make the fretboard super smooth. Mine had a rough feel and raised grain.... it was strange because it wasn't like that when i bought it. The rosewood is as smooth as the inlays now.
Good to know, my new 60s standard has a really rough fret board.

Dan

Governator

Reaction score
Not really recent, but my 2013 standard:
D467B291-8CCC-40DB-8826-DCE2ECFC3199.jpeg

Latest Threads