Anybody had the chance to play the 2019 Modern Les Paul?

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm on a hunt for a LEFTY LP with ebony fretboard, but need some help to figure out if the new LP Modern is the right one for me.

I've owned a 2009 LP Traditional for 10 years now and really like it, but there are 2 things that I wish were different: 1) the rosewood fretboard could be ebony and 2) the frets.

After playing this LP Traditional thousands of hours, the frets are starting to show their age. It can go through a couple of fret dresses before it needs a refret, but before I spend the time or money to level them, I think it's a good time for me to see if it still makes sense to keep this beauty.

Here are my options:
  1. Keep the guitar until it needs a refret, ask the tech to lightly treat the fretboard for a smoother feel.
  2. The new LP Modern, which has ebony fretboard. The downsides are the sticker price of $2,800, plain top and regular nickel frets. Seems like a lot of money for a plain top LP and non CS.
  3. A used LP Custom. It is possible to get one at this price range, but it will take me some digging as I'm lefty. I've never had the chance to play one, but I'd be interested to know if the back binding would be uncomfortable for my playing style
  4. Get some kind of MIJ LP copy with ebony - this is going to be hard to find since I'm lefty
So,, has anyone tried this new LP Modern? I'm curious to know what others think.

EDIT: I'm more of a superstrat kind of guy than an LP guy. I play LP's about 30% of the time, so depending on how it does, I could buy the LP Modern 2019 and sell my lovely LP Trad 2009.

Last edited:

edselman

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about them. I do know that of your choices I would opt for a Custom.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
From the Gibson web site it doesn't look like they have a lefty model of this particular guitar amigo,.. the "LP Modern".:dunno:

A Les Paul Custom is a good option,... i own a couple of late seventies models,... a 1978 i bought in 1980 and 1977 i bought much later, both still have their original frets,..... and a much newer 2011 model,.... All are fantastic instruments.

Last edited:

diogoguitar

Reaction score
From the Gibson web site it doesn't look like they have a lefty model of this particular guitar amigo,.. the "LP Modern".:dunno:

A Les Paul Custom is a good option,... i own a couple of late seventies models,... a 1978 i bought in 1980 and 1977 i bought much later, both still have their original frets,..... and a much newer 2011 model,.... All are fantastic instruments.
Thanks
yeah lefties are only available in special order. Southpaw guitars can sell me one. I bought 2 Fender special runs from them already. Check it out

mudface

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks
yeah lefties are only available in special order. Southpaw guitars can sell me one. I bought 2 Fender special runs from them already. Check it out

Pelham blue, ebony fretboard,.... what's not to like?..... :thumb:

mudface

Premium Member
Reaction score
As you might notice from this pic i can't seem to find my way to sell anything i get,.... so the only advice i have is to get that LP Modern and a Custom..... :headbanger:

IMG_2162.JPG

zombiwoof

Reaction score
If you liked the neck on the Trad, you should play the Modern first if possible. I am pretty sure it is the same as the older 2008-style Standard, with the asymmetrical slim taper neck and push-pull features. It might be a lot different than what you have now. Maybe you know that and aren't concerned, I just thought I'd mention it.
Al

diogoguitar

Reaction score
If you liked the neck on the Trad, you should play the Modern first if possible. I am pretty sure it is the same as the older 2008-style Standard, with the asymmetrical slim taper neck and push-pull features. It might be a lot different than what you have now. Maybe you know that and aren't concerned, I just thought I'd mention it.
Al
Good point. I actually don't like the Trad neck thickness all that much. I DO like the acoustic vibration I feel when I'm playing. I don't know if there is something to do with the neck thickness or just that particular guitar has a unique construction. Got me thinking

JayPDizzle

Reaction score
I've played one! Great guitar. Thin neck, similar to the current Epiphone LP Standard. I remember it played and looked fantastic. Dare I say it, the Modern was the pick of the range, but I wanted my first Gibson to be a traditional spec, so I left with a Standard '50s. The modern neck heel cut was great too.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I played one yesterday. Light with good acoustic volume, had good resonance but also had a floppy neck so it went back in the rack pretty quickly. Fit and finish was excellent though.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I played one yesterday. Light with good acoustic volume, had good resonance but also had a floppy neck so it went back in the rack pretty quickly. Fit and finish was excellent though.
what do you mean? Was the neck loose?

danzego

Reaction score
I played one a couple of months ago. I’m a curmudgeon when it comes to newer spec LP’s and was highly skeptical. However, I thought it played and felt great.

ARandall

Reaction score
String bends would detune non-bent strings from their correct pitch.
A tweak or two of the TR would have solved that. My V had that issue initially.....all that unsupported length counted against it.....even with a thick neck profile.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
All but one of the guitars I have bought before knowing to test them never stiffened to t.r. adjustment. Floppy @ .005, .009, .012, .015, after that it doesnt matter b/c they're out of range for an action I'll accept. Most of the time it's the lumber, that's part of why so many more maple necks pass the test than mahogany and are used on longer scale guitars.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
As you might notice from this pic i can't seem to find my way to sell anything i get,.... so the only advice i have is to get that LP Modern and a Custom..... :headbanger:

View attachment 407854
I sold one les Paul in 1994...
Still haven’t spent a week without thinking of how stupid I was.
Wasn’t a particularly special top and had a neck repair...but it was my first les Paul.
A 1983 HCB custom....made $300 profit
Definitely not worth it..

NEVER SELL ANY GUITAR

If you need the money to buy a guitar then save it...I haven’t bought a guitar in almost a year because my les Paul jar is only now getting near $1000
I’ve had to stay away from MLP until my jar filled a bit...

If u wait to buy till u can “afford” it then u never need sell...

It helps if u have as much fun chasing as u do owning though...

-Chris

mudface

Premium Member
Reaction score
I sold one les Paul in 1994...
Still haven’t spent a week without thinking of how stupid I was.
Wasn’t a particularly special top and had a neck repair...but it was my first les Paul.
A 1983 HCB custom....made $300 profit
Definitely not worth it..

NEVER SELL ANY GUITAR

If you need the money to buy a guitar then save it...I haven’t bought a guitar in almost a year because my les Paul jar is only now getting near $1000
I’ve had to stay away from MLP until my jar filled a bit...

If u wait to buy till u can “afford” it then u never need sell...

It helps if u have as much fun chasing as u do owning though...

-Chris
Agreed........... I sold a couple (a 1979 Deluxe and a 1982 Leo) a very long time ago and the memories of that still haunt me.

Now i have given a couple to family who play,...... that i find more rewarding than selling them to a stranger.

.......... and i might get a chance to revisit them again. ;)

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. Has Gibson improved the quality control yet?
I love my Traditional and it would only make sense for me to get another LP if I sold my Trad.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
A lot of that QC stuff is much improved. I never really saw it dip other than a few fretboard problems, a bunch of the rest that was internet b.s.

Don't sell your Trad. Repurpose it and cover a different sound.