Anybody got any Garcia-esque guitars? Let's see 'em!

MRA

Reaction score
Any Jerry inspired builds anyone?

acstorfer

Reaction score
There are tons of Ibanez Artists and SGs here. I'm sure you'll get your fill. Or is the Ibanez more of a Bob Weir thing? Hmmm...

Walt_T

Reaction score
Jerry made anything he touched sound great.

Left Paw

Reaction score
I think it was his fingers more than the guitars.

RandyRhoadsLesPaul

Reaction score
Here's an old thread on the same question:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217292&highlight=jerry+garcia

Some pretty interesting guitars. Phiga Guitars makes custom Garcia guitars. His Wolfs start around 3-4K, his Tigers are slightly more expensive. I think he stopped making Rosebuds but I am pretty sure you can put a special request in there. I wish I had a Wolf guitar :/

Phred Guitars also makes Garcia-style guitars, but the wood is different from the Alembic guitars that Jerry had. Also the tone is different...but the structure and look of the guitar is similar. It is also cheaper than Phiga. Instead of calling the Tiger guitar, he calls it Liger :).

RandyRhoadsLesPaul

Reaction score
There are tons of Ibanez Artists and SGs here. I'm sure you'll get your fill. Or is the Ibanez more of a Bob Weir thing? Hmmm...
I don't recall Jerry playing Ibanez. He played Fenders, Les Pauls, and SGs before moving to Doug Irwin guitars.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Jerry made anything he touched sound great.
but not every time ...

... it is strange but over the years Jerry becomes more and more liked by me ...
it is kinda like an old sweater that is of extremely high quality. The sweater is massively comfortable but still keeps the cold out. I wish he was still alive.

space

Reaction score
JG played ibanez mc 400 as did BW
JG also played a guild
ibanez made a guitar for JG the MC5000 extremely rare (i beleve 6 were made)
He also played Travis Bean guitar in mid 70s
his final custom guitars were made by steven cripe out of florida
these are my MC500 early 80s

my mc 3000 (v rare)

mc500s and a mc400

a mc150 70s mc500 mc400 and my own bild

space

Reaction score
while we are on the subject he also played an LP junior/special and a super 400 (supposedly the last guitar he played)

acstorfer

Reaction score
I don't recall Jerry playing Ibanez. He played Fenders, Les Pauls, and SGs before moving to Doug Irwin guitars.
Thanks. I couldn't remember if it was him or Weir that played em.

I saw the Grateful Dead many times in the 80's but I'll be damned if I knew anything that was going on around me :)

RandyRhoadsLesPaul

Reaction score
Thanks. I couldn't remember if it was him or Weir that played em.

I saw the Grateful Dead many times in the 80's but I'll be damned if I knew anything that was going on around me :)
You bet. There is a full range of his guitars (from his early guitars to Doug Irwin) on dozin.com. Great place for dead-heads and non dead-heads alike.

RandyRhoadsLesPaul

Reaction score
@space

de did? I can't find anywhere of Jerry playing Ibanez. But you are right, he did play Travis Beams

space

Reaction score
Weir was an ibanez endorser
he playe an mc400
2680/81 (the Bob Weir Model)
And his "Cowboy" guitars were custom made Ibbys
As a matter of fact Ibanez released a Cowboy guitar in 2005 i beleve BWM1
JG on the other hand played an mc400 (as shown in the link above)
It is beleved that the MC Series was designed for Garcia and Weir (their input)
HTH
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_sig_series16.php?year=2016&cat_id=1&series_id=35

Joe_V

Reaction score
"ibanez made a guitar for JG the MC5000 extremely rare (i beleve 6 were made)"

Hi guys,

As far as I know there are 4 MC5000's made. If you could provide me with more info where you got the number of 6 please let me know.

I took some pictures of my MC5000 :)

Enjoy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/66734324@N04/

Joe

moreles

Reaction score
Eastwood (I think it is) recently ran a crowdsourced project doing a version of Wolf that in the pre-production and prototype stage looked remarkably good as a balance between the $$$ original and an affordable new mass-produced version. I think that batch is being released to subscribers any day now. I really dislike Eastwood stuff, period, but this looked so good I really, really considered opting in and probably should have. Unless they're slinging the BS, they seemed very committed to pleasing a pretty demanding clientele.

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
Look at Phred guitars. I'm not sure of their quality or sound, but they look cool.

Parabar

Reaction score
To me Jerry's best tone was in the early days when he played Gibsons --- a black Les Paul or an SG. This was from '67 to '70 or so, when the Dead were doing their more adventurous stuff --- Viola Lee blues, Anthem of the Sun, Dark Star, etc. When Jerry switched to single coils around the Workingman's Dead era, I kinda lost interest.