Anybody enjoy their Studio more than other LPs?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Vivian Campbell loves his Studio. I’ve been seeing this same white one on several tours now:

A nice light total rock machine, very sweet! I would probably do a Modern, I think they're even lighter and have an ebony fretboard. But why mess with perfection, it sounds spot on and fantastic in the video.

crazytrain513

Reaction score
A nice light total rock machine, very sweet! I would probably do a Modern, I think they're even lighter and have an ebony fretboard. But why mess with perfection, it sounds spot on and fantastic in the video.

That it does! I think currently, both the Studio and the Modern have ultra-modern weight relief so weight will actually be similar. The Modern is a sweet guitar though in that it has binding (which I always missed on my Studio personally) and the asymmetrical slim taper neck which used to be reserved for the LP Standard.

Zungle

Reaction score
In the past I would have went with a Studio before I went with a Standard/Traditional. Not much of a fan of binding.

I'm not into binding either.....

But I do have 2 Firefly's FFLP's that I play frequently and they only come with binding .......

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2005
A947D42C-03EB-42B8-8DA8-7DAFB2573681.jpeg

Soak13

Reaction score
I thought I’d sell my ‘02 Studio when I got my Custom Shop ‘58 and ‘68. I remember taking pictures to prepare a listing. But nope. Couldn’t do it. It’s too nice a guitar. 4 years later and I love it as much as ever.
02 Wine Red Studio was my first and i would never give it up.

whatshisname

Reaction score
I currently own ten Les Pauls. Two of them are Tributes, which, for all intents and purposes, are Studios. I wouldn't own them if I didn't enjoy them as much as my other higher end ones. They're fantastic guitars.

Apocalyptic

Reaction score
I have a Studio and 3 Tributes. The Studio is a 2018 so has the neck binding and heavy nitro finish over the others, but I love them all. They all feel and play very similar, though I suppose the Studio does feel like the premium version of the others in a way. I did have a Classic which felt and looked more premium again, but did it play any better? No. I have thought a few times about parting with two or three of them to fund a Standard. But 4 LPs is better than 2 right? (Plus selling is a PITA)

Attachments

• _20220720_221710.JPG
    _20220720_221710.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 5

tiller2

Reaction score
My 2007 Ebony Studio was a stray dog, scuffed and scratched and missing a couple of knobs, that I bought online from a pawn shop for $600. I worked for months to get rid of (undisclosed) smoke smell, have rewired '50s-style, and have loved ever since. The pups that came with are a Dimarzio Bluesbucker and a JB-SH4. Honestly, I regularly look at used Standards and R0s for sale, but that's more about curiosity and lust than about the lack of prime Les Paul sounds in my arsenal.

Last edited:

Sharp

Reaction score
9E4C5906-DC32-4E6E-B8B4-1872FB097132.jpeg

This is my first LP. I’d wanted one for years but couldn’t afford it. When I had some cash , around 2000, I went looking but couldn’t fathom spending more than $1500.00 for one. I found this at a music store in Toronto and grabbed it. It was only $1100.00 and I was in love.

Much later I learned about the studio/standard/custom thing and found out that this is a studio standard. I have one of each now ( special, traditional, custom) but this studio will be the last to go. It is, by any measure, a great guitar. I’ve used it on a ton of gigs and recordings. I love it the most.

SRPNTN

Reaction score
I found my 93 Studio in a used music store only a few hours after being placed on consignment. It was very affordable due to a well-repaired headstock decapitation. I was instantly impressed with the warm, bright tone and sustain just playing it unplugged. I didn't care for the Alpine white that was blemished with sticker stains and felt like a plastic toilet seat, so I stripped the whole thing and repainted the cap and True Oiled the rest. Its nice to feel and see the grain of the single piece mahogany body.
93 Stud.jpg

DHJB

Reaction score
I just have the Ebony Studio with Ebony board to fulfill my LP needs, and that it does, being less a fan of fancy/traditional tops and more a fan of the Customs and other solids like the Silverburst, I’m really just out the bindings on a custom for a fraction of the price.

I am curious about the rest who have owned a number of examples and found equal or perhaps greater preference with their Studios (and what these LP/Studios were). It seems like a potentially likely seeing how construction/materials are the same and one may have lucked into a nicer-built studio than the Standard, Deluxe, etc.
My first electric was a LP Studio "special limited edition" silverburst, and I really enjoy it. I replaced the pickups with an EMG Het Set pretty much immediately because that's the sound I was wanting. The burstbucker 2&3 it came with sounded great, but I wanted more crunch.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I found my 93 Studio in a used music store only a few hours after being placed on consignment. It was very affordable due to a well-repaired headstock decapitation. I was instantly impressed with the warm, bright tone and sustain just playing it unplugged. I didn't care for the Alpine white that was blemished with sticker stains and felt like a plastic toilet seat, so I stripped the whole thing and repainted the cap and True Oiled the rest. Its nice to feel and see the grain of the single piece mahogany body.
View attachment 622934
Wow, seems one piece mahogany bodies are not easy to find outside the custom shop these days. Was it common for 90’s studios to have one piece bodies?

Also, that finish looks awesome.

Last edited:

efstop

I render not the posterior of a rodent
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, seems one piece mahogany bodies are not easy to find outside the custom shop these days. Was it common for 90’s studios to have one piece bodies?

Also, that finish looks awesome.
One piece bodies show up now and then, I had a real good look at a 2017 Tribute GT with a one piece back, but I had just bought a '17 a few months before that. If it had been less than 30 days, I could have traded for it with no loss.

efstop

I render not the posterior of a rodent
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of backs, this is a 2013 '50s Tribute with a two piece back. Good luck finding the seam ;)

full

Apocalyptic

Reaction score
View attachment 622934
That looks good do you have any more photos, the finish on the back and neck etc? I'm about to refinish my 2011 Studio. Did you scrape in the faux binding after paint or mask off?

'Hege

Reaction score
I'm guilty.

No question these days I like the taller frets on my 2007 Studio better than I do my '72 and '73 Customs, with their wide flats, so yeah, I'm in this grouping.

searswashere

Reaction score
I'm guilty.

No question these days I like the taller frets on my 2007 Studio better than I do my '72 and '73 Customs, with their wide flats, so yeah, I'm in this grouping.
Sounds like the customs are due for a refret and to bigger wire.

jamhandy

Reaction score
Instead of Gibby Studios, I have been leaning for years toward Epiphone Les Pauls. Especially their recent "Inspired by Gibson" (IBG) series...

- Epiphone IBG '59 Les Paul Standard
- Epiphone IBG Les Paul Modern Figured.

Both new for much less than a new Studio these days... both made in China, the same place that gave us Shoalin Kung Fu...

Latest Threads