Anybody else notice...

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I wonder when that change started lol
As someone else astutely mentioned, it could be a mistake. Also, with the new edited description, the Gibson.com pictures have yet to be updated to showing a plain (i.e., not AA) top.

AJK1

Reaction score
What I like best is a plaintop that has some swirling, obvious grain in it. This is a photo that Sweetwater sent me of my 2016 LP Traditional when I bought it. This is ideal for me (and this is pretty much my favorite guitar that I have ever owned):

View attachment 545997
Awesome !

moreles

Reaction score
This change was previously reported. While everyone will crap on Gibson for it, it'as part and parcel of where the industry overall has been going, with Martin no longer specifying neck wood for some of its models, or the widespread substitution of sapele, pau ferro, and other "wood-a-likes" for traditional woods. It's a steady downgrading. Sometimes the substitutions are inconsequential, but othertimes they're a step down. Now that every Epi spewed out the end of a production line can have a veneered fake flametop that looks like it belongs in "Beauty of the Burst," it's hard for me to get excited by excessive figure. Myt absolutely favorite top is a flitch-matched wide-ish and irregular flame. Why? Because it looks like real wood, and a guitar made from boards of the stuff.

dumeril7

Reaction score
It happened in the last two months because I was all over that site two months ago when I bought mine and I remember it saying AA top. Because of that, I don’t think it’s a mistake - they seem to have made a deliberate change to that specific line in the web content. OTOH, it could be a temporary thing as the pandemic continues to affect supply chains. I’m just pointing it out because whatever stock there is in retail stores right now is probably all there’s gonna be for awhile. So buy now, buy used, or buy a higher end model if a figured top is important to you.

D7

dumeril7

Reaction score
I almost have faith that Gibson wouldn't care about expending the effort to try to sort out all the plain tops and save them for 50s Standards.
Actually, I know that PRS does exactly that. They sort them all out on delivery. I also know that Gibson sorts wood by weight, saving the lighter wood for higher end models (I found that out on this forum - there is a photo from the factory with the weight guidelines posted to a wall.) I’d be very surprised if Gibson didn’t sort maple by figuring too.

D7

InTheEvening

Reaction score
As someone else astutely mentioned, it could be a mistake. Also, with the new edited description, the Gibson.com pictures have yet to be updated to showing a plain (i.e., not AA) top.
Agreed, I think it’s a mistake. Doesn’t make sense to switch the standard 50’s to plain tops and keep the standard 60’s with flame top since they’re priced the same. They’d have to raise the standard 60’s price or drop the standard 50’s price to match that accordingly.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Actually, I know that PRS does exactly that. They sort them all out on delivery. I also know that Gibson sorts wood by weight, saving the lighter wood for higher end models (I found that out on this forum - there is a photo from the factory with the weight guidelines posted to a wall.) I’d be very surprised if Gibson didn’t sort maple by figuring too.

D7
That's a fair point, I was being a big facetious, just a little ragging on Gibson. I think the weight thing is a custom shop deal, however.

I think truly it is either a mistake (which we've seen plenty of), or they want to avoid people complaining about false advertising since there are quite a few plaintop LP Std 50s that wouldn't qualify for an AA grade top. Someone else pointed out that it might have something to do w/ supply chain...that could very well be the case!

dumeril7

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realize you were being faceitous and took you literally - the uncertainties of communicating online... Anyway, I don't have any proof of it obviously, but I predict it's temporary. Probably supply related, but even if it's not, you can always depend on Gibson to tweak the specs year to year. I think there's too much demand for figured tops on USA Standards with fat necks for them not to meet it.

D7

DaveSG

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realize you were being faceitous and took you literally - the uncertainties of communicating online... Anyway, I don't have any proof of it obviously, but I predict it's temporary. Probably supply related, but even if it's not, you can always depend on Gibson to tweak the specs year to year. I think there's too much demand for figured tops on USA Standards with fat necks for them not to meet it.

D7
I think you are right.

Six6String6

Reaction score
I just bought my 50’s standard but the one (limited apparently) with a AAA top. I absolutely love it.

amgomez

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don’t remember it ever stating anything about flame/grade. I go on Gibson a lot to drool over guitars. For some reason I always look at the specs even though I know what they are. Specifically any 50s style guitars. I don’t even look at anything I know has a 60s neck. I could be wrong, but I doubt they’re only doing them in plain tops exclusively.

zdoggie

Reaction score
thats very typical of gibson to quietly make changes when you don't quite understand why any company does these thinhs just remember to follow the money !!

zdog

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I love the plain tops with pronounced mineral rings. Especially when the guitar ages and the lines darken over time.

1624992372616.png

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don’t remember it ever stating anything about flame/grade. I go on Gibson a lot to drool over guitars. For some reason I always look at the specs even though I know what they are. Specifically any 50s style guitars. I don’t even look at anything I know has a 60s neck. I could be wrong, but I doubt they’re only doing them in plain tops exclusively.
Correct. The 50's Standard didn't advertise AA tops. I remember well in June 2020 when I was comparing them against the 60's model that the 50's didn't note the top. For some reason that memory just stuck with me.

Six6String6

Reaction score
Yes. I just looked back at my Long & McQuade on line and for sure, no AA top on the 50’s. But the 60’s spec’s it out. Strange

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I just bought my 50’s standard but the one (limited apparently) with a AAA top. I absolutely love it.
The AAA tops on LP Standards are sold as an exclusive out of Sweetwater only for a $200 premium. Awesome guitars. Great purchase.

Six6String6

Reaction score
Also exclusive to Long & McQuade here in Canada. Yup, I’m happy!

Latest Threads