Anybody darken an Indian Laurel fret board?

GerryL98

Reaction score
I think my Ice Tea finish would pop with a darker fretboard. I've read about others ebonizing rosewood and darkening other rosewood alternative fretboards but nothing on Indian Laurel. I'm considering a Minwax stain since I have a few colors readily available in the garage. Anyone try this?

pshupe

Reaction score
This may be a silly comment but here goes. Do you normally oil your fret boards? I have built quite a few guitars over the last number of years and I have not oiled my boards as a rule. I just recently used some pure lemon oil on a EI rosewood board and was amazed at how dark it became.

There are quite a few fret board stains out there. Stew Mac sells them and you could fine the same product in something not "guitar" labelled and save some $$$ no doubt.

Cheers Peter.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Fiebing's leather dyes work pretty well. You can get oil or alcohol based. For a fretboard, I would be inclined to go oil based, but I've never tried, so take that for what it's worth.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
....and I have not oiled my boards as a rule. ....

Cheers Peter.
Why not? Man...there's nothing I love more than getting to that final stage (usually during the set-up) of a new guitar build and oiling the fretboard for the first time. The thing just explodes with a deep richness!

pshupe

Reaction score
Why not? Man...there's nothing I love more than getting to that final stage (usually during the set-up) of a new guitar build and oiling the fretboard for the first time. The thing just explodes with a deep richness!
That is a very good question. TBH I have just never done it. It sure made a difference on my last build and I will always do it from now on.

Cheers Peter.

GerryL98

Reaction score
Oiling rosewood works great. Always had good results with that. Oiling Indian Laurel didn't give me that "oh now that looks much better" reaction. Although I have only been using Dunlop's fretboard conditioner. I'm considering trying F-One oil but still looking for feedback specifically with this specific wood. Thanks

Latest Threads