Anybody attach pedals to their pedalboard without using Velcro?

spoony

Reaction score
I have some nice vintage pedals in great condition and I don't want to damage them by using Velcro. Have you guys and gals used other methods of securing your pedals? If so what was your experience using an alternative?

Thanks,

s

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Only other method I know of is a zip tie around it and through holes in either side. If I did it that way I'd run the ties through surgical tubing so as not to mar the finish.

AJK1

Reaction score
Wrap them in plastic and cut holes for the knobs to stick through

StubbyJ

Reaction score
If bottom plate screw length will allow you can use bicycle chain lengths (one side of one section). Screw one end on pedal using pedal plate screw and the other end on board (wood) or run zip tie through hole if using metal board. I hope this makes sense.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I use zip ties. Everything stays tight and in place while traveling or packing.

tzd

Reaction score
I don't use velcro.

I have two alternatives:

1. Aclam SmartTrack https://www.aclamguitars.com/pedalboardsystem
Pros: very nice and neat system
Cons: very expensive, and it takes time to screw the holders in place
Good for putting together a fixed board to use on gigs, but not good if you like to swap pedals around.

2. Buy a roll of this thin velcro strip:

I cut them to the perimeter of my pedals, and build a 'wall' by stacking 3-5 layers of the strip on top of each other.

Then I put my pedals on the pedalboard with the velcro wall surrounding the pedal. It holds the pedals in place, but of course the pedals are not firmly attached to the board.

When I need to transport this pedalboard setup, I use an elastic cord like this one https://www.zzounds.com/item--GRVVSOLO2BG to wrap around the board and pedals, and it holds it in place to fit inside the pedalboard carrying case.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can use a router table and some ABS plastic sheet to make new bottom plates. It's real easy to use the original plate as a template to make a new one, then drill and countersink the holes. This also allows an easy way to get a wire through for a power cable.

btw - don't use HDPE sheet. It's cheaper than ABS and plenty strong, but nothing will stick to it without complicated treatments or products.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use 10 penny galvanized nails. Is that wrong?

Seriously, I've used the inch wide velcro tape. You make a loop of the opposite from whats on your board. I.E. if the board has 'hooks', you use the fuzzy loop tape. Make it long enough for circunfrance of pedal. Wrap it around pedal near bottom and/or a 2nd on top. Use a small strip of the other 1" tape (i.e. hook for above) to close it tight on pedal.
Push onto board.

moreles

Reaction score
Efstop said it. Zip ties, with tubing protector if needed. (I usually don't need the tubing myself.) I find that the zip ties have just enough stretch to allow you to really pull them tight, and that they don't really get slack over time. Easy to redo as long as you have scissors.

SpiderSqasher

Reaction score
How about using longer screws on the feet, available at Home Depot & just drill holes to match & screw the pedals to the board from underneath with small washers under the heads..

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
I use putty, which works great for me, but I haven't subjected it to the rigors of gigging/traveling.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
How about using longer screws on the feet, available at Home Depot & just drill holes to match & screw the pedals to the board from underneath with small washers under the heads..
That's what I did back in 1970-something.
Pulled the back plates, used those as a pattern to drill the board, then went under the board and used a countersink. Installed the pedals with 2 original screws and 2 longer ones to hold them to the board.

Keep the screws.... mine have been long-misplaced.

SpiderSqasher

Reaction score
Great idea about keeping the old screws..
Wonder if there's enough room inside the pedal to store them wrapped with electric tape.. Or stored inside the pedal board itself.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Great idea about keeping the old screws..
Wonder if there's enough room inside the pedal to store them wrapped with electric tape.. Or stored inside the pedal board itself.
If you're using a power supply, there's more than enough room in the battery compartment.
I'd put them in a tiny zip-lock like people use for pills when traveling, then attach it with tape.

Deftone

Reaction score
There was a guy on here years ago that used pieces of bicycle chain links. you could attach them to the back plate screws and then you'd have a little tab sticking out that you could screw down to the board. He sold me a bunch of them and I use those.

Bad pic, but maybe you can see them on the Stinger and the MXR EQ....

pedals.PNG

SpiderSqasher

Reaction score
That's a great idea using the links of the bicycle chain..
I have a small press made for adding/removing links from a bicycle chain, it presses the pins out easily..
And yeah I can see what you're talking about.. NICE!!
I haven't seen that tool in years but now I'm gonna have to go looking, I have more tools than the law allows = whole garage full + basement & man cave + some more in the laundry room too..
Could just buy one at Harbor Freight for under $10..

I have a Roland GR-55 coming for son for Christmas gift & I think It'll need mounted to a piece of plywood, Love that aluminum plate in the photo = sweet!! Harbor Freight has some rubber sheets like that, That would be nice to cover a piece of plywood with to look like a pro made it..

And Hey I have a Buddy that was in the 101st Airborne out of Fort Knox KY, He served 1968 -1972 in Vietnam..
I am also a Lifetime NRA member

Banastre

Reaction score
Bicycle chain here too. My Ace hardware store, and in fact Menard's and Lowe's as well, sell the individual links. Works great and with no worries. I do have two Danelectro pedals that I strategically cut slots for a clear zip-tie for, as I haven't found any other solution. Only issue is the zip kinda covers the LED on the tremolo Tuna Melt and Fish and Chips EQ, but it works.

scooter500

Reaction score
Painters tape on the back of the pedal, then Velcro to the tape. Semi perm Velcro!