Any Weight-Trainers?

Scooter2112

Reaction score
You'll need 20 minutes or so to stretch, warm-up, and cool down properly.

If you forgo that, in order to make your 30 minutes all high intensity, you're going to hurt yourself.

The DUDE

Reaction score
Based on the equipment you have available, here's my recommendation:

For the first 4 weeks, do a full body workout - 3 days per week:
Just do a circuit of each of the machines you mentioned for 12-15 reps each

This is basically just to ease your body into it, minimizing soreness - don't push yourself the first couple of weeks.

First day, only do 1 "round"
Second day on, do 3 rounds

Bench
Leg Extensions
Leg Curl
Shoulder Press
Lat Pulldowns

Then, for 8 weeks after that:

Still a 3 day split

Monday:Chest + Back

Flat Barbell Bench Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps
Superset with
Lat pulldowns
3 sets of 12-15 reps

Incline Dumbell Bench Press
3 sets of 12-15 reps
Superset with
Bent Barbell Rows
3 sets of 8-10 reps

Flat Dumbell Fly
3 sets of 12-15
Superset with
One-arm Dumbell Row
3 sets of 12-15

Wednesday: Legs (a little more difficult without a squat rack)

Dumbell Squats (Hold the dumbells however is most comfortable for you: between your legs, at your sides, at your shoulders...)
3 sets of 8-10 reps

Dumbell Lunges
3x10-12

Leg Extensions
3x12-15
Superset with
Leg Curls
3x12-15

Calf raises (You can do these on flat ground, holding dumbells - but it would be better if you can use stairs or a board or something under the balls of your feet to let you get a fuller range of motion)
3x15-20

Friday:Shoulders/Arms

Seated Shoulder Press (If you have a bench with an upright back-rest, use dumbells instead of the machine)
3x8-10

Lateral Dumbell Raises
3x10-12

Bent-over Lateral Db Raises
3x10-12

Barbell Shrugs
3x 12-15

Alternating Dumbell Bicep Curls
3x8-10
Superset with
Dumbell Tricep extensions (Or do dips using the bench, with a weight plate in your lap for extra weight if you need it)
3x8-10

These workouts should take you around 45 minutes - add in a little extra time for warm-up and cool-down. So you're looking at a total of maybe 3 hours per week. Surely you can fit that in ;)

Do some research first on proper form. And get your diet right. Your diet is just as important, if not more important than the work you do in the gym. And the most important thing is CONSISTENCY. And progressive overload - which means you need to be increasing the amount of weight you lift on a regular basis (could be 5 pounds per week, 2.5 pounds per week, 5 pounds every 2 weeks - whatever - just make sure your making progress.

Go here and learn: Bodybuilding.com - Huge Online Supplement Store & Fitness Community!

They have a huge forum full of helpful people....Just don't get sucked into the Misc...:naughty:

NRBQ

Reaction score
I started to make the old 12 ounce curl joke but I don't even drink anymore. I found that to be the best you have to concentrate on one thing so I went with drugs instead. Yes can you feel it? No just kidding of course, I worked out once but an eye popped out of the socket so I said never again.

Mattyboy

Reaction score
I used to love working out, but whenever I did, I'd end up in agony from my hemerroids. Every damn time! What a pisser.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Sounds like you two need to breath better when working out.

bertzie

Reaction score
For someone just starting out, big compound exercises are going to give you the most strength gains. Dumbell bench presses are surprisingly effective.

As BigAl suggested, read Starting Strength. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/]Starting Strength,3rd edition: Mark Rippetoe,Jason Kelly: 9780982522738: Amazon.com: Books[/ame] All the exercises can be done (albeit in limited way) with dumbells. See if you can convince some of the other residents to go in together on a barbell set. Weight machines are really no comparison to free weights.

The DUDE

Reaction score
Oh - I just noticed you said it was a seated machine bench press....I had thought they at least had one bench with a barbell. In that case, do flat dumbell bench press instead of using the machine.

What is the heaviest dumbell they have?

If you start to get more serious, you're definitely going to have to find a better gym. It sounds like your gym is geared more toward housewives...or more realistically they just bought a couple of machines so they could advertise that they had a free gym...

Deftone

Reaction score
I always liked to read a fitness magazine for motivation. I have a lot of respect for men & women who work that hard.

Torren61

Reaction score
I've found this site helpful.

Exercise Encyclopedia » Videos » CoopersGuns Health, Fitness & BodyBuilding

When you go here, there is a picture of a man both front and back. You can highlight any muscle group and it gives you a list that includes free weights (dumb bells and bar bells), machines, body weight and cable machines. You click on one of those options and a short gif-type video shows you how to do the workout for the muscle group you selected.

Pennyman

Reaction score
^ Dude -> Thanks for the tips :yesway: The heaviest dumbell is around 20 or 22 kg or so.

lol @ the "housewives" comment~ Yes, it does seem to be geared more towards that demographic, but from what I've seen, it doesn't get a whole lot of use.

Jakeislove

Reaction score
^ Dude -> Thanks for the tips :yesway: The heaviest dumbell is around 20 or 22 kg or so.

lol @ the "housewives" comment~ Yes, it does seem to be geared more towards that demographic, but from what I've seen, it doesn't get a whole lot of use.

Let their complacency work for you, LOL!

Latest Threads