Any way to use 4 8 Ohm and 4 16 Ohm speaker in an 8x10

74JMP

Reaction score
I have an old Marshall 8x10 and had a hodgepodge of speaker in it when I got it. My Hiwatt fired 4 of the web sig series. Going though my collection of speakers I have 4 Celestions in 16 ohm and 4 in 8 ohm . Thinking it through it seems impossible

NotScott

Reaction score
Wire the (4) 16 Ohms in parallel. That will give you a 4 ohm load.

Wire the 8s (2) in parallel and (2) in series. Then wire these two pairs in parallel. That will give you a 3.2 ohm load.

Wire the two loads in series at your jack and you will have a 7.2 ohm load, fine for an 8 ohm output.

Because of the wiring, you will create a crude Bessel array which will make the cab hotter at some spots. To alleviate this, I would put the 8s in series on the bottom row. The 8s in parallel above them. Then your 16s over that.

Last edited:

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Another option is wire the 8 ohm quad series/parallel to give an 8 ohm total load.
Then wire the 16 ohm quad series/parallel to give a 16 ohm total load.
Now combine the 8 ohm quad with the 16 ohm quad in parallel, which gives a 5.33 ohm total load for the cab.
Set your amp to run at 4 ohms.
Then set your balls on fire and do the splits.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Be aware that there is no way to do it so that each speaker receives an equal portion of the amp's output power, so some will be working harder than others.

Latest Threads