Any way to tell if a Les Paul was a Made 2 Measure order?

steph74

Reaction score
HI everyone, I have a M2M Les Paul and recently I see a lot on sale on Reverb and was wondering...

Is there any way to tell if a Les Paul was a Made 2 Measure built?
It's not written on the COA, nothing special in the serial, no special Toggle switch back plate, if the seller have the Original box it's usually printed M2M on the label, but other than that, is there any way to tell?

Also, when they started it? I saw a post from MusicZoo who announced in 2016 the Made 2 Measure Center, but did Gibson was making Made 2 Measure before that? I saw someone selling a 2014 on Reverb saying it was a Made 2 Measure model.

I have one that I bought it from a Gibson official retailer and it came with the built sheet from Gibson that specified it's based on the BOTB Pg 42 guitar, the built sheet is a bit similar to the Floor Traveler that come with Fender CS, it give a description of each parts specs used to build the guitar, but most M2M that I see on Reverb don't have it.

Just wondering, not that it changed much thing, but at same time anybody who have a guitar who looks like Greenie or Pearly Gates or whatever can say it was a Made 2 Measure order in order to link a famous name or famous guitar to his sale.

Could be nice if they were giving a special or COA as Fender do with some special models so we can see what the guitar is all about.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I am waiting for an M2M Les Paul Custom to be delivered sometime in the first quarter of 2023.

Ordered from a retailer in Dallas, not directly from Gibson.

I’m curious how all of this is going to shake out.

goldtop0

Reaction score
There's currently nothing on the COA to tell if it's M2M or otherwise, but as above Gibson could trace back through their records and let you know if you enquire about it.

Sollazzon

Reaction score
HI everyone, I have a M2M Les Paul and recently I see a lot on sale on Reverb and was wondering...

It's not written on the COA, nothing special in the serial, no special Toggle switch back plate, if the seller have the Original box it's usually printed M2M on the label, but other than that, is there any way to tell?

Also, when they started it? I saw a post from MusicZoo who announced in 2016 the Made 2 Measure Center, but did Gibson was making Made 2 Measure before that? I saw someone selling a 2014 on Reverb saying it was a Made 2 Measure model.

I have one that I bought it from a Gibson official retailer and it came with the built sheet from Gibson that specified it's based on the BOTB Pg 42 guitar, the built sheet is a bit similar to the Floor Traveler that come with Fender CS, it give a description of each parts specs used to build the
I have one that I bought it from a Gibson official retailer and it came with the built sheet from Gibson that specified it's based on the BOTB Pg 42 guitar
This.. I guess this is the only paper evidence. I have a M2M bought it second hand in a Gibson Top Dealer here in Italy.
It's a 2018 and the only paper coming with the guitar is the detailed specs requested as custom order from the dealer to the Custom Shop.
Apart this (You can clearly see that the guitar certanly differs in some specs from a regoular Reissue) there's no other certificate to confirm it is a Made to Measure.
I hope it helps.

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
Thank you for starting this thread as I would love to know this too. I was on a waiting list for a R9 at a big retailer a couple years ago when I got a call saying someone backed out of a M2M R9 and would I want it for agreed upon price. I jumped at it but accidently sold the box it came in when I sold another guitar. The only way I could find that it was a M2M was on the box and now that is gone. I've written Gibson a couple times with no responce. Any other info from the experts would be much appreciated. I just know I love my R9 and it is the one I would never sell.

killabeez66

Reaction score
I've owned a couple M2M LP'S and the only thing that mentioned them actually being M2M guitars was the sticker on the original shipping boxes. Nothing else in the paperwork or COA or anything mentioned it.

Bluesdr57

Reaction score
I enquired about my Custom Shop DC. Gibson told me based on serial # it was a M2M guitar. I’ve only seen one other Green Lemon and it was 2 #s away from my serial #. Other than that nothing. I asked if there was a record of build sheet but no reply. Funny how Chevrolet can give you build specs colors etc of most historic Corvette’s but Gibson doesn’t have records of CS or M2M guitars. Wish they had better record keeping.

Sollazzon

Reaction score
That's what I mean

Attachments

• 20221130_200214.jpg
    20221130_200214.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 48

notslavvy

Reaction score
You call Gibson and ask, they is usually tell you off a serial number.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have indicated, the only place it is referenced is in the SKU (it will have 'M2M' in it). And the SKU is usually only found on the shipping label on the original box. The SKU will be linked to the serial number so if you called Gibson they would be able to tell you it was a M2M, which should resolve any issues about resale.

Darkscience

Reaction score
They do not include anything, but you should not need it. There are the standard custom shop guitars, the limited editions, Murphy lab and demo shop, all of which will have a COA stamp. If you order a special guitar made to your liking there is nothing to give, it's non of the above, it's just a guitar made to your specs for you. Why does it need a COA? To prove you ordered it from them? You know you did!

Bluesdr57

Reaction score
Went back to my case and lo and behold the original shipping box label was included. Definitely a M2M thanks guys didn’t know what to look for!

Attachments

• 3A6BF27A-7B7A-4D57-BAB4-F678B2B6EE3B.jpeg
    3A6BF27A-7B7A-4D57-BAB4-F678B2B6EE3B.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 27

cortland1977

Reaction score

I have one that I bought it from a Gibson official retailer and it came with the built sheet from Gibson that specified it's based on the BOTB Pg 42 guitar, the built sheet is a bit similar to the Floor Traveler that come with Fender CS, it give a description of each parts specs used to build the guitar, but most M2M that I see on Reverb don't have it.

Just wondering, not that it changed much thing, but at same time anybody who have a guitar who looks like Greenie or Pearly Gates or whatever can say it was a Made 2 Measure order in order to link a famous name or famous guitar to his sale.

Could be nice if they were giving a special or COA as Fender do with some special models so we can see what the guitar is all about.
I have had a couple. If they are a model reissue they usually will not have the usual R8, R9, etc branded in the control cavity as usually the M2M component takes it away from being a stock reissue with the typical historic features. So usually the tell is that is is some reissue like guitar with specs that would not be typical for that model (like different neck profile, different pickup config, color etc) or may have had aging done that was not typical for that model. Your right usually the COA says nothing and the ones I had (have had 3) did not have any sort of paperwork or anything that said that other than I knew they were since I bought them new from the stores who had ordered them that way. They don't really have any increased value over a regular custom shop one though so it would go for around whatever the regular custom shop version of that guitar would be. If buying new though they usually are a little more from the store as I think they pay more to have the custom features put in.

Latest Threads